I'm Lost about DOD ratings

100% Old warrior

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I got medically discharged but never had an MEB/PEB for strokes/seizures linked to TBI/PTSD. I also have combat injuries and have had 11 surgeries in the military. I was an 11B, I had 3 on my right shoulder from combat and 2 on my left from being a combatives instructor. Also foot and ankle reconstruction

Looking in eBenefits, it says I have 100% DOD rating and I am 100% VA. Is there anywhere else I can find my DOD rating so I can file for retirement and trade my red card for a blue one? My discharge letter says Assignment/loss code is Medical, Physical or mental health retention (MG).
Thanks in advance.

I think that that area of eBenefits in not accurate. I just checked it under my profile and it says 100% DoD for me and I am only 40%. I can also change the values with the up/down arrow.

Looks like it is a way to make your own profile to check to see what benefits may be available to you.

You did mention that you have a red ID card. Did you do 20+ years as a reservist and are you receiving your non-regular retirement?

Everytime I change it from 100, it reverts back.

I have a red card for 100% VA. I am not getting any retirement, that why I am trying to find my DOD rating. They med discharged me with 12 AD and 4 for reserve time/guard time. So I am trying to find the DOD # so I can start the appeal process. I was discharged for a mini stroke, seizures and something else all military related. No MEB

You can find your DoD documents here: Portal - Login

Use your DS login, from there you go to the badge "Reserve/Retiree/Veteran Record.

This will bring up a page with a bunch of your data on it, in the left hand margin there is a tab that reads documents, click that and you should be able to find your discharge orders that have your percentage on them.

The upper right corner will have your status in it.

it says I am still in the National Guard on the right hand side and realistically, it hasn't been updated since 2012 when I went back Active duty after 4.5 years on AD orders.

What does the separation letter read? Any way you can post it up redacted? This may help provide better guidance on the correct course of action.

Here is a related post here on this forum. I have to run to an appt. real quick so I have not read through it. If it does not apply, disregard.

100% Old warrior - I hope everything works out for you.

Sorry, dumb question, but what is a Red ID card? Does it identify disabled veterans? Do you need a minimum
disability rating to get one of these - Anyone? Thank you.
Best of luck to you.

I see. Thanks. Do you need a minimum disability rating to get one?

Oh I get it. Ok. So even if you get 90%, normal color retired ID card.
I hope everything works out for you.

It looks as if you were given a medical discharge with no MEB, perhaps you may have been eligible for a MEB? With that type of discharge you would not have a DoD rating and you would not have received a Chapter 61 (medical) retirement.

You may want to consider filing form DD Form 249 and requesting a discharge upgrade. Here is a presentation that describes the process. http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/documents/ABCMRApplicantsGuide20160601.pdf