IMR *BEFORE* MEB?

Airforcematt

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I went it to talk to my PEBLO about my NARSUM prior to it being submitted to the local MEB and was told that if I wanted to request an IMR I had to do it at that point. Turns out that's incorrect... I thought something was off but I wasn't able to find the relevant portion of the regs until over the weekend. My PEBLO made some comments about knowing her job and telling me I was in the wrong.

Here is the revelant portion of the regulations.

4.65. Notification of MEB Results to SM and 4.66. Impartial Review

I have a meeting with the Med group Commander later in the week to talk with him about the issues I'm having with Mental Health and the corresponding issues on my NARSUM.

Here's what I'd like to have some feedback from ya'll on.

First things first, if I get an IMR now, will that disqualify me from getting one in the future? I was told that this was the only IMR that I get by my PEBLO who is, regrettably not a source I trust at this point.

Should I?...

A. Point out the error to my PEBLO right away and try to stop the pending IMR (If I go this route I'll write up a letter requesting that my pending IMR be cancelled until my NARSUM is actually seen by the board)

B. Wait until my meeting with the Commander later this week to bring it up?

I'm getting kinda tired of knowing the MEB regulations better than my PEBLO. I'm looking forward to making my case later this week.

Although I am a PEBLO for the Army, the new iDES program applies across the board. The way it works for the Army is:

All C&P exams are completed
Then everything is sent to a NARSUM writer (MEB Doc)
After that, the NARSUM is sent to the PEBLO so the DA Form 3947 can be generated (this the form which lists all conditions)
Next the 3947 is sent around for Signatures (2 Doctors and AO)
Once that is complete, the SM is contacted to review and decide whether to do an IMR or appeal (after seeking legal advise)
SM can do an IMR first then an appeal but not the other way around. If appeal is done that's it for the local board.

Don't let any PEBLO tell you that you have to do anything until you have reviewed your NARSUM and everything first.

Thanks! I just remember what I went through when I was boarded and made a promise to myself that while I am doing this job, I would not be the same as other PEBLOs.

Thanks! I just remember what I went through when I was boarded and made a promise to myself that while I am doing this job, I would not be the same as other PEBLOs.
I commend you and admire you. :) You truly are on the front lines. I mean that--and I was infantry. Keep up the amazing work.