In CBWTU and getting SSDI- FYI

forever88

PEB Forum Regular Member
FYI, just found out today that if you are getting SSDI you have to take Part B before you separate to TDRL the sponsor will lose Tricare, but family can still sign up for Tricare. No one ever went over this with us. I only caught it at last minute while filling out application for Tricare and saw where it asked about eligibility for Medicare. I knew my husband was eligible over year ago for Part A and Part B, but SS told us we did not have to have it since active duty. When I called DEERS they said yes he has to have it and needs to have it in place before separation. Very confusing, thought I would post in case anyone else is getting close to separation. Of course you my call and get a totally different answer so check it out before you do anything.

SapperNurse

PEB Forum Regular Member
Forever, thanks for the great information! I didn't know this either, hadn't heard anything like it and I pick up my orders next week.

Question tho...

TDRL, dependent of Active duty spouse... would it go Part B, VA, Tricare for my care then?

forever88

PEB Forum Regular Member
If you qualify for SSDI and Medicare Part A and Part B, you have to go Medicare than Tricare as secondary. My husband is the sponsor and only one that qualifies for SSDI and Medicare A and B so he had so sign up for Part B, they automatically enroll you in Part A, I think after two years. But you have to sign up for Part B which is for seeing Dr's. Part A is for hospitalization. So he has to use Medicare first than Tricare. The kids and I are Tricare only. Hope that helps and you should always double check your own situation out to make sure this info applies to you I don't want you to get any wrong info and miss out on something. This is what I found out for us, at the last minute before separation. DEERS said if I had a problem with enrollment for Medicare Part B, they would provide a letter "NEED B Letter" to give SS office.

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Dear forever88:

I am CB-WTU and receive AD TRI-CARE and Medicare A/B.

Some of my docs that used to take my Tri-Care, no longer are taking TRI-CARE. What this means for me is that I may now owe the Doc some money for my doc visits if they do not accept Medicare A/B in full.

So, I now make sure that the docs take BOTH TRI_CARE and Medicare A/B, so as to reduce my possiblilty that I will owe the doc.

Especially if surgery is needed. I will have to switch to another surgeon now as he stopped taking TriCare. And His business office called me and said Medicare A/B will leave me with a 3,000.00 debt!

So I'm looking for another good surgeon who will take BOTH insurances. I still might owe some money at the end, but nothing like 3,000.00!

v/r,
nwlivewire

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">