Registered Member
MILITARY-1-articleLarge.jpg

From the NY Times:
In Military Care, a Pattern of Errors but Not Scrutiny
By SHARON LaFRANIERE and ANDREW W. LEHREN JUNE 28, 2014:

FORT SILL, Okla. — Jessica Zeppa, five months pregnant, the wife of a
soldier, showed up four times at Reynolds Army Community Hospital here
in pain, weak, barely able to swallow and fighting a fever. The last time,
she declared that she was not leaving until she could get warm.
Without reviewing her file, nurses sent her home anyway, with an
appointment to see an oral surgeon to extract her wisdom teeth.
Mrs. Zeppa returned the next day, in an ambulance. She was airlifted
to a civilian hospital, where despite relentless efforts to save her and her
baby, she suffered a miscarriage and died on Oct. 22, 2010, of
complications from severe sepsis, a bodywide infection. Medical experts
hired by her family said later that because she was young and otherwise
healthy, she most likely would have survived had the medical staff at
Reynolds properly diagnosed and treated her.
“She was 21 years old,” her mother, Shelley Amonett, said. “They let
this happen. This is what I want to know: Why did they let it slip? Why?”
The hospital doesn’t know, either.

Read more here.

Aside from the outrageous errors described, the important issue that I see is the lack of accountability and effort in addressing the medical errors.

This is horrible. I agree 100% Jason, complete lack of accountability. WHO exactly made the decision to turn away this expecting mother and spouse of a Soldier? That individual, along with the VA, should be held accountable for making such an inhumane decision that unfortunately and ultimately led to the deaths of TWO people, both mother and child. What a sad story.

Aside from the outrageous errors described, the important issue that I see is the lack of accountability and effort in addressing the medical errors.

It is crap like this that makes me ashamed that I served, in what should be the World's Best Army. However, SM and SW still have to bear this because of lack of oversight. And, it really doesn't get any better with the VA.

I was in the husbands platoon and new him well.. the devastation was horrible. =[

That is just horrible. This is why I have a MAJOR issue with military medicine. My issues were minor in comparison, but could have turned out just as bad. I had a severe tooth ache in Iraq after biting down hard on something. Can't remember what but I think it was a chip. I went to dental and the MAJ claimed it was a lose filling and normal. I was scratching my head and asked for an x-ray because I NEVER had a filling on my wisdom tooth. 7 months later I am home and the VA does an x-ray... needless to say, there was only a shell of a tooth that could have otherwise been saved or extracted. As it wasn't treated, the tooth next to it needed a root canal and crown. If this continued to go untreated I could have had an infection that turned into a sepsis all from the dental clinic's negligence but us as SM's are unable to sue them for their incompetence. Another issue is the need for multiple different systems. The Navy medical system shows that my surgeon recommended I be retained on active duty to be evaluated for Crohn's but not ALTHA and so I was just sent home. I FINALLY got these records by hunting down the surgeon.

I agree...This is a complete and utter tragedy. I don't know how many times I have seen the incompetence run rampant throughout the military health care system. If allowed to hold individuals accountable, then this would most likely not happen as frequently as it does.

I'm so fucking sick of the undue debt owed to veterans and the lack of give-a-fuck by our nation. I would rather be on a bus with steel cages on the windows while citizens through shit calling me a baby killer. At least then we know we're getting some sort of attention. Instead of marches on the nations capital over the broke system that continues to batter an already abused veteran community, our nation much rather riot, loot, and destroy livelihoods over a cop/criminal case that nobody has any facts on in Missouri. Our priorities as a nation are embarrassing and I almost regret being a veteran. I find myself getting more and more frustrated every time I read some bullshit that involves the VA, the latest being 1200 veterans who have to get blood work done because they were possibly infected with Hep C, Hep B and/or HIV after being treated for dental work ....fucking DENTAL work. I think every single elected official should have to navigate their local VA clinics for medical care. Make that their primary care provider along with their immediate family. So fucking sick of all of it.

The hiv thing is old. I was in that group of being tested and was negative. Happens civilian side too especially if you get tattoos.

I was in the husbands platoon and new him well.. the devastation was horrible. =[

Any chance you/he might have the full name, license number/type/state, and employment status of the award-winner who made this decision? Perhaps even a phone number (home would be best)?