Independent living services

Sgt. JAMES GALLAGHER

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
what are the odds of getting Independent living services with 100 percent ptsd , 40 percent lower back issues, 40 percent for radiculopathy, 10 percent sciatic nerve .

Just wondering

That is hard to speculate, has a contractor been by your house yet?

what are the odds of getting Independent living services with 100 percent ptsd , 40 percent lower back issues, 40 percent for radiculopathy, 10 percent sciatic nerve .

Just wondering

If the Voc Rehab counselor feels your physically or mentally unable to be gainfully employed then they will most like offer you Independent Living to help you live a better life physically or mentally

Make sure you ask for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you feel would help improve the quality of your life, worst thing they can do is say no to certain items you ask for

If you feel you need improvement to your home check out the HISA grant

I am going to call the counselor on Monday.. I so much shit on my mind, having to fight with military and VA

Make sure you ask for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you feel would help improve the quality of your life, worst thing they can do is say no to certain items you ask for

If you feel you need improvement to your home check out the HISA grant
I was denied the HISA grant. Independent Living is different part of the department of the VA?

You need to get a VA PCM to write a prescription for all the things you need. I am doing the independant living right now and they will help get the the things the VA won't do. Atleast that is what I was told, I have my PCM appointment on the 23rd so once I am done I will pass on the information I have learned. Also, Independant living can't help you until you atleast have a separation date, I was told that today. The biggest think is getting seen by a VA PCM and to get them to put in the system all the things you need to live more independently. Good Luck!

Sentry you seem to becoming the subject matter expert on this, please keep posting on this thread so all of us can get a clear idea. Could you please start out now exactly how things rolled out for you so far? This way it will give James a clearer path to follow. I'd much appreciate it!

Well I have had three appointments for VOC REHAB. The first was an evaluation by a vocational expert (VE) who determined that I couldn't work because of my conditions. My next appointment was with a VOC REHAB counselor in which we discuss my disabilities and the fact I could not work. My last appointment was me doing the Independent Living assessment, I couldn't do this at the last appointment because of VA rules, atleast this is what I was told. Also, he said the program can't help until I atleast have a separation date. He did offer other resources that I could use in the meantime. The key to this all is getting seen by a VA PCM as soon as possible. The VA PCM will make a note of all the things you need to make you life easier and the things the VA say no too, Independent Living can get for you. I was told they could even help with getting a better bed which would be great for me cause I can sleep for only a couple of hours before my pain wakes me to make me move to a more comfortable position. Now I have been trying to get seen by the VA for sometime now and it took me going to the OEF/OIF office and asking the questions. They in turn called my case manager at the base to get a referral to get seen by the VA. So you can get seen while on active duty it just takes some work and asking the right questions to the right people. Hopefully this approach will work for other SM's! I can go in more detail if asked but for now this is about as much typing as my hands can handle. Hope this helps out!

The VA PCM your talking my VA personnel case manger right? Thank Guys for leading me the right path on this issue. I am to have to call Independent Living person today. And by the way I am also troops who are going this same shit!!!

The Counselor is coming out on Oct 9th 2013 at 0923. which is really cool
thank you guys for being there!!!and on 10-30-2013 i had to goto the VA to sign paper work and I am waiting for the Regional office in Detroit