informal rating

well i got word today on my informal meb.
i feared seperation...they gave me retirement @ 40%.
then ill get minumum 50% from va.
most would be happy but i want to stay in, i was thinking on turning it down and fighting to stay in.
what do you think? JASON, what do you think of my chances of winning to saty in, or them changing their minds and screwing me out of the 40%. or do you think theyd applaud my tenacity and allow my me to reclass from flight to something else and finish my 5 years.
or should i take the money and run?
thanks

ed

Could you please post more information so that we can pipe in? Without knowing the particulars of your case it's harder to gauge. The problem with fighting- and winning, is that they could allow you to stay, then administratively discharge you and then you'd have nothing. If you don't get a response from Jason, I'd email him, you have only so much time to respond. All and all, 40% at least assures you tricare, and the other benefits. I don't know your medical issues, but insurance is a huge deal. I wish you luck, and thank you for your service

well i got word today on my informal meb.
i feared seperation...they gave me retirement @ 40%.
or should i take the money and run?
thanks

ed

It makes a HUGE difference whether that retirement is TDRL or PDRL. What is it and what were your conditions? Did they rate you on everything correctly?

the rating is %40 for my back condition (degen disc) and it is PDRL. i have 5 yrs to go to hit 20. should i fight for COAD (condt on active duty) or just leave. i just found out i wont get VA dis and retirement $ at the same time, so i will have to go get a job. thanks

thats why im trying to figure out if i appeal to a formal board will i loose what i already have? and then if i go to a COAD board am i in danger of loosing everything? or is the %40 pdrl sort of (banked) and the only thing they can say is still unfit.

Only you know the right descision based on your family and personal needs but, 40% PDRL will assure you insurance and a guaranteed retirement check every month. Plus, you'd only be working for 60% pay for the next 5 years.

well i went to the formal board and after 3 of the longest hours of my life, the board found me fit for duty in my grade, specialty and mos. and i am allowed to stay in until i retire in 4.75 years or whenever after that! needless to say im very very happy. my lawyer said i had no real chance i staying in, so this goes to show you....dont quit and never let the bastards wear you down!! fight fight fight. if you need someone to talk to im here,

armyof1,

congrats bro, u deserve it. i would use thes next couple of years working on your VA claim and social security, which can be done. i did it but it took years and you have the time now. if u need any help or advice w/that let me know. good luck and dont be a stranger here.

Congratulations! I hope you have a great time during your remaining career in the military. It would be great if you do keep in touch here and tell others about your experiences.