Injured during BCT

Newspc

Registered Member
Hello all. I’m hoping that my post will help me with my military process. I am currently in the army with only completed thus far BCT (4-5-2018) at Ft. Jackson. I fractured my hip stress level 4 that is very close to surgery. I fractured my hip the last week of March. I first started having pain in my hip in during FTX 2 (around February). I went to TMC and they did an X-ray and bone scan a few days later but I only had minor stress fractures in my left leg and pressure on my knees. Nothing apparently with the hip. During the Forge the hip pain was back again but worse. This time I had a MRI done and boom Level 4 in my femoral neck (hip). The fracture was so severe I was told that I was close to needing surgery. But because we were now a few days out from graduation I was still able to graduate but following graduation I would come home on con leave for 30 days. My 30 days are soon to be over but I know the hip hasn’t completely healed because it’s a 6-8 week process. Once I get back to Ft. Jackson RHU could i request an additional 30 days of im not healed. I have found that being home around family, spiritually and mentally it has helped. I’ve never had anything this traumatic to happen to me in 34 years. I’m a little scared that they will try to chapter me and that’s not what I want. I don’t want to heal or if I’m now unfit that I be discharged medically. I really just want to be able to get through this process allowing it to takes its time but I’m resdy to get AIT over as well so I can continue with my career. If you have any insight please let me know. Positive feedback only.

As long as your profiles don't make you non-deployable you really don't have an issue. They could push a MEB or worst Entry Level Separation on you if you don't have 180 days under your belt yet.

I believe Army regs limit CON leave to 30 days. Going back doesn't mean you will not get more time to heal. You just reached the max that can be charged off as CON leave.

AR 600-8-10

5–7. Rules to grant convalescent leave when soldiers return to unit after illness or injury

a. Unit commanders may grant up to a maximum of 30 days convalescent leave during one continuous period to
soldiers who have been returned to duty after illness or injury. This period is extended to 42 days following pregnancy
and childbirth. (Beyond 42 days, hospital commander is the only approval authority.)

Ron