Injury During BCT

brondeau09

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am in hopes that somebody may have the answer to this. I have read a couple posts regarding injuries during BCT but none really applied to the National Guard. My wife is currently in BCT and has informed me that she had gone to sick call due to extreme pain in her thigh, hip and legs. Upon X-ray they found stress fractures on each pelvic bone. She apparently had to go for an MRI today because the doctor believed there may be more stress fractures possibly on her femur bones. I have no heard from her and suspect I won't know the results of that for a couple weeks or so.

Now my question is what will happen being that she is on active orders for BCT through the National Guard? I have read a couple memorandum and policies that state that everything will go through her NG unit. So does this mean she will be sent home for con leave and be re-evaluated here locally at home before being shipped back out for training again, and if she is found to be unfit will she go through a med board here or have to go back to BCT to undergo a Med board?

I am just concerned as she is the type to start signing things when she is upset and I don't want her to sign an ELS not knowing exactly what it is.

Please no crazy replies about her not deserving anything because she is in BCT when she got injured. She has attended drill prior to shipping out and has been in BCT since May 9th. Any info is appreciated. Thank you

Typically with stress fractures, the trainee will be put on con leave, sent home to rehabilitate and evaluated. Once they are able they will rejoin the unit, recycle and start back over where they left off.

In the event the injury does not heal and becomes a disability, the trainee may be referred to a MEB. I do not have any input regarding the exact location of where the MEB would take place if there were one.

Well I know how it is when calling units and what not, usually the Soldier pays. I decided to call her NG RSP today and got a little more info. Apparently they are supposed to be notified when there is an injury but they have not been notified yet. As of June 6th my wife has been on crutches so it is kind of odd that they were not aware of anything yet. Needless to say, if the fractures are bad enough they will send her on con leave, and before she returns to basic she will have to be cleared through West Point. I am just shocked that her RSP was not made aware yet and they have not allowed her to call home either to give an update.....

Orthopedic injuries account for a majority of those that are unable to train, after is usually soft tissue injuries.

All BCT locations have Army National Guard liaisons, their mission is to serve as the go-between the Active Duty and National Guard. They are the link and are required to counsel Trainees and discuss possible results based upon the situation, the mission and the State. Liaisons are tasked with communicating with the appropriate state NGB and the Trainee. When Trainees report they are typically introduced to their liaisons, they may have given them their cars or provided their phone number. It may or may not go as smoothly as the regulations and black and white print goes.

Anytime a Trainees status changes from "training" to "not training" the unit is required to notify the liaisons for their awareness and coordinate for the liaison to counsel the Trainee, in accordance with TRADOC Regulation 350-6. Additionally, the unit responsible for her training "should" be counseling her "using the DA Form 4856" to document mandatory counseling is occurring and the Trainee is informed and "how" things may go. The DA Form 4856 is "supposed" to be used, regardless of what the topic is about: personal growth, event oriented, refusal to train etc.

IF, the units follow TR 350-6 most is laid out. How long is a Trainee able to be temporarily unable to train and remain with the unit. If a Trainee is unable to train due to injuries etc etc. What portions a Trainee cannot miss or be granted a waiver etc. who is authorized to grant waivers, if not able to be waived then training make up must occur etc.

Convalescent leave is an option available to the command, transfer to the local Fitness Training Unit (FTU) is another option, their mission is two fold: physical therapy and fitness improvement. There's also surgery and recovery in the FTU; surgery and convalescence etc.

The basic training unit and the liaisons should have a really healthy relationship, it's about what is best for the Trainee while accomplishing the mission. I've seen pissing matches between liaisons and commanders because they can't get over "ownership issues" of a Trainee. Such as: active duty commander says this, NGB says that, active responds like this, NGB says well F U and performs a Release From Active Duty (REFRAD) and basically hits a recall of their Trainee. Poof, gone, and F U very much.

A REFRAD isn't automatically bad, it's also a helpful tool available with bienefit to everyone involved. It's all about what is going on to begin with. Such as: NG Trainee injured, healing needs extended bed rest, can't train will need a Day 1 restart. NGB might say, nah, it's better to REFRAD, heal at home and will be sent back once healed. There's an enormous amount of situations when considering how freaking many in training. These examples are not all inclusive but are examples to help in basic understanding.

In the event a Entry Level Separation (ELS) is necessary it's neither bad nor good. It is administrative, applicable to Trainees with less than six months of active duty and are separated. If a Trainee is -180 days, the command can use this for numerous reasons, it's the most common in BCT due to its ease of use. AR 635-200 is the regulation governing Chapter separation, for ALS it's Chapter 11. Separated from service, not enough time to be characterized and is typically is an "uncharacterized" discharge = not honorable, nor other than honorable. It's like saying no harm no foul.

Couple recommendations: tell her to request to speak with her liaisons, this should help ensure her state is in the loop. She may have already been counseled as to the possible outcomes and is worth asking her if she's been counseled. It maybe to early to know surgery vs CLV etc.

One important thing to highlight and is important for National Guard and Reserve Trainees. If they sustain an injury, a Line of Duty is "required" in order to document the injury, determine fault or no fault, and is critical when filing a claim for care after or compensation or all the above.

Hopefully this helps. Google TR 350-6, in TRADOC this is like "the Bible".

-Michael

Orthopedic injuries account for a majority of those that are unable to train, after is usually soft tissue injuries.

All BCT locations have Army National Guard liaisons, their mission is to serve as the go-between the Active Duty and National Guard. They are the link and are required to counsel Trainees and discuss possible results based upon the situation, the mission and the State. Liaisons are tasked with communicating with the appropriate state NGB and the Trainee. When Trainees report they are typically introduced to their liaisons, they may have given them their cars or provided their phone number. It may or may not go as smoothly as the regulations and black and white print goes.

Anytime a Trainees status changes from "training" to "not training" the unit is required to notify the liaisons for their awareness and coordinate for the liaison to counsel the Trainee, in accordance with TRADOC Regulation 350-6. Additionally, the unit responsible for her training "should" be counseling her "using the DA Form 4856" to document mandatory counseling is occurring and the Trainee is informed and "how" things may go. The DA Form 4856 is "supposed" to be used, regardless of what the topic is about: personal growth, event oriented, refusal to train etc.

IF, the units follow TR 350-6 most is laid out. How long is a Trainee able to be temporarily unable to train and remain with the unit. If a Trainee is unable to train due to injuries etc etc. What portions a Trainee cannot miss or be granted a waiver etc. who is authorized to grant waivers, if not able to be waived then training make up must occur etc.

Convalescent leave is an option available to the command, transfer to the local Fitness Training Unit (FTU) is another option, their mission is two fold: physical therapy and fitness improvement. There's also surgery and recovery in the FTU; surgery and convalescence etc.

The basic training unit and the liaisons should have a really healthy relationship, it's about what is best for the Trainee while accomplishing the mission. I've seen pissing matches between liaisons and commanders because they can't get over "ownership issues" of a Trainee. Such as: active duty commander says this, NGB says that, active responds like this, NGB says well F U and performs a Release From Active Duty (REFRAD) and basically hits a recall of their Trainee. Poof, gone, and F U very much.

A REFRAD isn't automatically bad, it's also a helpful tool available with bienefit to everyone involved. It's all about what is going on to begin with. Such as: NG Trainee injured, healing needs extended bed rest, can't train will need a Day 1 restart. NGB might say, nah, it's better to REFRAD, heal at home and will be sent back once healed. There's an enormous amount of situations when considering how freaking many in training. These examples are not all inclusive but are examples to help in basic understanding.

In the event a Entry Level Separation (ELS) is necessary it's neither bad nor good. It is administrative, applicable to Trainees with less than six months of active duty and are separated. If a Trainee is -180 days, the command can use this for numerous reasons, it's the most common in BCT due to its ease of use. AR 635-200 is the regulation governing Chapter separation, for ALS it's Chapter 11. Separated from service, not enough time to be characterized and is typically is an "uncharacterized" discharge = not honorable, nor other than honorable. It's like saying no harm no foul.

Couple recommendations: tell her to request to speak with her liaisons, this should help ensure her state is in the loop. She may have already been counseled as to the possible outcomes and is worth asking her if she's been counseled. It maybe to early to know surgery vs CLV etc.

One important thing to highlight and is important for National Guard and Reserve Trainees. If they sustain an injury, a Line of Duty is "required" in order to document the injury, determine fault or no fault, and is critical when filing a claim for care after or compensation or all the above.

Hopefully this helps. Google TR 350-6, in TRADOC this is like "the Bible".

-Michael

Well she was sent home and has been home since June 17th. She was counseled about Con Leave but that is it as far as I know. The NG Recruit Sustainment Battalion was notified of her being sent home for 30 days of Con Leave. I do not believe a LOD was done on this but there should be more information coming tomorrow (Friday). She may possibly be going to West Point hospital for further evaluation. It was determined there are level 4 stress fractures in her hips, and there as been mention that she is most likely going to have to do some administrative stuff with the VA. I am guessing she is most likely looking at either a Med Board or ELS and the admin stuff with VA is so she can get a rating for the injury for her to get treatment.

I can't tell if you have a question or if there's a point to your response. You've mentioned West Point in both of your posts, what role does West Point have in this?

I can't tell if you have a question or if there's a point to your response. You've mentioned West Point in both of your posts, what role does West Point have in this?
I would normally guess that West Point is the closest MTF....but, given that most basic training is conducted at Fort Jackson, it may be that the original poster is thinking that this is the closest MTF to the Soldier's National Guard unit. It could play out that the Soldier is sent home and then does process through West Point. But, this is not a sure or safe assumption.

You asked a good question, I am not sure what the answer is. I only offered my guess as to the reference to West Point.

IMO, the Trainee will return to Jackson because its only CLV. Once back the Trainee will be evaluated to identify: medically cleared to resume training; not cleared; granted more time to heal on CLV or transferred to the FTU for rehabilitation if appropriate or once cleared will be processed for separation. I've not yet come across a case that didn't require the Trainee to return to the BCT location regardless of their Army component however, anything is possible.

I would normally guess that West Point is the closest MTF....but, given that most basic training is conducted at Fort Jackson, it may be that the original poster is thinking that this is the closest MTF to the Soldier's National Guard unit. It could play out that the Soldier is sent home and then does process through West Point. But, this is not a sure or safe assumption.

You asked a good question, I am not sure what the answer is. I only offered my guess as to the reference to West Point.

You are correct, West Point is the closest MTF to our home. She was attending basic at Fort Leonard Wood. She has been sent home for CLV. Apparently, according to some of the latest information I have received from her NG unit here in NJ, She may possibly be kept here at home to undergo treatment. They may also initiate separation here from her unit. I am guessing it would have to do with initiating a REFRAD or some other form of administrative process to keep her home to process everything.

I know typically, as I was active duty, they send you home then you return to your training location after CLV but I guess there are different scenarios that could play out when dealing with NG. The whole West Point thing I am guessing is an alternate avenue for them to determine if she will even benefit and heal in a timely fashion in order to complete training. I am guessing that if they have her evaluated by West Point MTF and they determine the healing process is going to take too long, they could REFRAD and do what they need to do here at home. I was also told she may be looking at doing some administartive stuff with the VA, which I am guessing that she may be looking at a med board due to have multiple level 4 stress fractures in her hips on top of stress fractures in both pelvic bones.

There is no longer a question, I was just giving update to my post because as this plays out, we could possibly use this as a reference for future NG questions on what could happen.