Inpatient care for PTSD/MDD

Spcjoe

PEB Forum Regular Member
I just started the MEB process and i am offered the chance to attend an inpatient facility. they offered to send me to freedom care or there were a couple others, i'm just wondering if it is worth it? i'v been doing outpatient care on post here with not very much improvment. what is the difference between in and outpatient treatment? has anyone been to inpatient treatment for ptsd, did it help? if i volunteered to go would i be on like total lockdown or what? also say i go through this treatment and i get somewhat better or and able to cope better, is there a better chance to get reclassed vs being put out?

SapperNurse

PEB Forum Regular Member
Joe,

Last summer, I went to an inpatient treatment place that is for Vets only in Pueblo, CO. Haven Behavioral War Heroes Hospital.

This summer, just before I started my terminal leave, I returned... I HIGHLY recommend this... I have spent over 9 weeks between the two trips there and I can say that it has made a huge difference in my life. I am diagnosed with MDD, PTSD and anxiety as well...

Speaking from my experiences at Haven, exposure outings, daily gym trips, cell and computer access, as well as weekend destressing trips are done. Haven also has a chemical dependancy track if that applies as well...

There is another member here that has been to Haven too, I will point her in the direction of this thread and see if she would like to comment. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to message me...

-SN

Captain

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Joe,
I also went to the place that SapperNurse mentioned, he is actually the one who told me about it. I have chronic PTSD and severe MDD. Haven was my second inpatient treatment, and the difference between Haven and the other place was night and day. There are some horrific places out there that actually can make you worse, so be careful what you chose. I can say without a doubt, Haven is the place to go. You are not free to leave as you wish, as it is an inpatient facility, but no one there makes you feel like you are on total lockdown. Most of the staff there has been in the military and EVERYONE there treats you and your INJURY of PTSD with the respect and dignity it deserves.

I had been in outpatient care for two years prior to going to Haven and I made more progress there than in the previous two in trying to release some of my traumas during an hour session once or twice a week. Our minds really aren't set up to release like that. You can't fully let go, then leave an outpatient office and go back to work, or go pick up your kids, or go back to the barracks, or whatever your situation is, and "pretend" to be normal again until your next session. The beauty of Haven is that you don't have to do that. You are surrounded by other military people who are going through their own stuff, but if you cry you cry, if you don't you don't, if you go off in the dining room because the kitchen people effed up your order AGAIN, no one looks twice at you. It is a safe environment, and that allows most people the safety they need to really deal with their demons.

You will also most likely make friends there that will be yours for life. I did.

I volunteered to go. With any inpatient treatment, you can always say you don't want to be there. They will work with your command to get you out, but there is a waiting period, maybe 72 hours, but there better be a good reason, NOT just cause you don't want to do the HARD work that it's gonna take you to get better. THAT is why you are there my friend. NO ONE wants to do that work. Not me, not you, not anyone. But that is why you are going in the first place. Think of the end game. I still have lots of issues to deal with. It's only 28 days. You don't come away cured. But now I have a direction to continue with my outpatient therapist. And now I have some Haven friends that know my 'stuff" that I can turn to and they don't ever let me say "yeah, but..."

The one thing I can say for sure is that PTSD will never go away on it's own, it will only get worse. Please do this for yourself. PTSD is no different than losing a leg. You didn't ask for it. Nothing inside you was weak that made it happen. It is a war wound.

Take care, and you can private message me if you want more information.

Michelle

Captain

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Oh, forgot to answer your other question...I get like that. Talk, talk, talk....

Yes, there is a chance that Haven may be able to help you reclas if you are successful. Depending on how you do in the program, the doctor and/or social workers may be willing to write a letter on your behalf to your command which you could take to your MEB - it really just depends on if you really are better able to cope. I don't know how you are doing now, or if you are able to work during your MEB, and that sort of thing, but I wouldn't absolutely rule it out.

When you get there, they ask you what you want out of your treatment, and you can tell them that, and then work hard toward that goal.

Spcjoe

PEB Forum Regular Member
Wow guys thanks alot i read up on it today and from the looks and from what i've herd from you guys it sounds like it could help emmensly. i'm doing about the same as a year ago i'm just better at hiding it i'm still all torn up on the inside. i think i will stop by behavioral health here on drum and see if someone can help me out with reffering me there or whatever i need to do! did you guys need a refferal or did you just enroll your self?

Captain

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
you need a referral. I am remotely located from a military treatment facility like maybe a recruiter would be so I had a civilian doc refer me through Tricare, but it is close to Fort Carson, and they refer people, so if Fort Drum doesn't know what to do, they could probably call Behavioral health at Carson, or they could just call Haven, I will private message you the phone number in a minute and they can square you away...

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">