Interesting Final Pay/SRB Issue

jordanthegimp

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello All,

Looking to see if anyone can help me get clarification on this issue as I've googled it and searched here and it seams pretty simple however, I think DFAS isnt connecting the dots.

Heres the Details
Went through MEB (Air Force) , found out that i was being put on TDRL in April w/ effective retirement date of 27 June 17. In May, I received my last installment for SRB (reenlisted May 2016) Fast forward 2 months, I did a ticket w/ DFAS asking where my pay/leave settlement was and was informed that by Aug 3, if im not paid contact DFAS at Randolph to release funds.

Today, After some wait time, i was informed to contact an office via email

this was the response:

"You are correct we haven't released your pay. You got a SRB payment in May for $$$$$ so there is a question as to if you were entitled to it. It was for 1440 days or 4 years however you retired. After serving just over a year. The question is do you and if so how much you need to pay back. CMS is down right now so I can't check it. I will let you know when I find out. "

Everything I've read states, I wouldn't owe anything, if anything future installment, which doesn't apply.
Seperation code is SEK on the DD214

Im not sure what the hold up could be, If anyone has some insight please advise.

Thanks!

Please verify the current AFI still says the following:

AFI AFI36-2606:

2.17.2. SRB termination and recoupment is not appropriate when an airman:
Separates prior to completion of the term of enlistment for any reason other than those listed in the DoDPM.
Is not technically qualified in the SRB skill because of injury, illness, or other impairment that didn't result from misconduct; loses a security clearance or other mandatory qualification for reasons other than misconduct; or for failure to attain performance standards higher than those in effect at the time of the initial bonus payment.
Is reassigned to duty outside the SRB skill for service-directed reasons.
2.17.2.1. The MPF Chief (or designated representative) reviews the circumstances to ensure a termination and recoupment case is not required. (NOTE: Unit commander involvement is only required when the MPF Chief believes it's necessary.)

chaplaincharlie- Thanks! I've read it previously because I didnt know if/when id even get my last installment. It does not say that anymore, it refers to DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 2

which states the following:

020304. Conditions Under Review by the Secretary of the Military Department
A. In instances involving a member’s separation for medical reasons, which were not the result of the member’s misconduct, the Secretary of the Military Department concerned has the discretion to determine whether to require repayment of the unearned portion of pay or benefit, or to pay an unpaid balance of a pay or benefit.

Furthermore, Table 2-1 of DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 2 outlines it pretty clearly.

If there is any guidance stating anything stating anything different , it hasn't made it to the interwebs yet

chaplaincharlie- Thanks! I've read it previously because I didnt know if/when id even get my last installment. It does not say that anymore, it refers to DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 2

which states the following:

020304. Conditions Under Review by the Secretary of the Military Department
A. In instances involving a member’s separation for medical reasons, which were not the result of the member’s misconduct, the Secretary of the Military Department concerned has the discretion to determine whether to require repayment of the unearned portion of pay or benefit, or to pay an unpaid balance of a pay or benefit.

Furthermore, Table 2-1 of DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 2 outlines it pretty clearly.

If there is any guidance stating anything stating anything different , it hasn't made it to the interwebs yet
Hi jordanthegimp, I was reading your thread and was curious if there was a decision made to your case. I am reading the regulations and from what I am interpreting is if you are medically separated then recoupment of bonus will not be sought after unless the secretary of the Air Force says otherwise. But pending bonus payments will not be paid out unless the secretary of USAF says otherwise. Thank you in advance for your response.

Hi jordanthegimp, I was reading your thread and was curious if there was a decision made to your case. I am reading the regulations and from what I am interpreting is if you are medically separated then recoupment of bonus will not be sought after unless the secretary of the Air Force says otherwise. But pending bonus payments will not be paid out unless the secretary of USAF says otherwise. Thank you in advance for your response.
Hello,

That would be interesting to learn. Unfortunately, he has not been seen in a long time.
Last seen Dec 4, 2017

Ron

Maybe someone else who has that experience will see your post.

People pop up all the time due to the results shown by Google or other search engines. In my opinion, that is the reason many posts are appended to an old thread rather than starting a new thread (which is recommended).

Good luck,
Ron

Reactions: 3EM