Introduce yourself

Rob, currently stationed in CA and royally getting the shaft from the PEB. I even have a letter from the PEB to the VA saying they screwed up. For some reason I can't figure out how to create a new topic to post my situation/question. Someone please point me in the right direction on how to post a new discussion so I can go into more detail and get feedback.

Hi All,

I was posting a question and thought I should do a separate post for what ails me. So here it is. Will add to it as results come in and time permits.

A short history for context—I was in an accident while on active duty in 1985. I broke both wrists, broke my jaw in three places, and had a LeFort II skull fracture. I was 19 so a couple of surgeries later, I healed ok. I have a total of 31 years of service, all Army (12 Active, 19 USAR). I was enlisted for almost 20 years and was commissioned in 2002. I am currently on active duty. I was originally rated in 1896 based on the residuals of the injuries at the time – a bunch of zeros that added up to 10%. Fast-forward 20+ years to last summer, I slipped and fell right on my tailbone. It’s been downhill ever since then. Since I said a short history, I will skip the drama from then to now. Here’s what I have on the MEB:
1. Cervical spondylosis w/o myelopathy (medically unacceptable)
2. Thoracic spondylosis; Lumbar spine osteoarthritis (medically unacceptable)
Medically acceptable:
3. Other specified depressive disorder - 10% based on VASRD & C&P
4. Right carpal tunnel syndrome
5. Arthritis-R Wrist (x-rays show severe post-traumatic arthritis)
6. Left cubital tunnel syndrome, chronic
7. TMJ
8. Anatomical loss or injury of the mouth, lips, or tongue

There are several other conditions, but you get the idea...

IMR: I am trying to add myofascial pain through the IMR process. I had it on my first 21-0819 but the MSC wanted me to re-do it and I accidently left it off. It is the main source of my mid-back pain and diagnosed as such by my physiatrist. My PCM didn’t add it as a referred condition because she just went off the neurosurgeon’s report. The other issues I am trying to deal with through the IMR are a recent diagnosis of post-traumatic arthritis in my left wrist and a recent assessment from occupational therapy that my wrists and hands are graded as modified independent. Modified independent means, among other things, I can’t handle or fire a weapon without it being a safety risk. This would require any conditions related to my hands or wrists be given a profile rating of “U3” and make them medically unacceptable. This assessment was not available when they did my NARSUM. All they had then about my hands was my commander’s statement that I cannot do my job because I can’t type or write for more than 20 or 30 minutes without it causing pain. They said it was medically acceptable because I didn’t have a long history of problems.

The QTC dentist diagnosed the TMJ, et al. I guess I am missing a couple of pieces of my mandible. There are more issues related to my head and face that they are still working out. I have an MRI, an MRI w/contrast, and an MRA of my head tomorrow. I have been sucking it up for years now and a lot of my conditions are not in my STR. I am slowly correcting that, but the MEB has already started. It only really matters if they find something that is a medically unacceptable condition. Otherwise, I can claim it when I get out because it’s in my record now.

I have a few questions about Arthritis and how it is rated. I will attempt to post them in the correct forum!

Awesome site that has helped me prepare for and deal with the MEB process.

G'day.
Retired with 80%
Now an IC in San Antonio working for an Attorney doing Disability Law.
Came here to learn so I can help my Boss help clients.

I am Mike Harbison. I was with 1-15INF from 2001-2005. Was TDRL from the Army in 2005 and then released off of TDRL in 2006 after my first eval. I currently receive 67% total rating from the VA.

I am Tirana Ward. I am currently outprocessing from AD with a retirement date of 10 Feb 2015. Just want to say thank you all for the help with being patient with the process and also the encouragement with being relentless in the pursuit of my just dues.

Hi all, thanks for sharing experience and great information.
-I am AD Army (11B)
-proposed ratings DOD 60, VA 100
-24 yrs, 7 mos military service
-Outprocessing and retirement date 15 FEB 2015
I came across this awesome site in September, when trying to find a strategy to reach my 20 year mark of AD time. Thanks to maparker and scoutcc for the advice, which helped me reach my goal. I am blessed and awarded 21 yrs and 4 mos of overall retirement instead. Also thanks to Jason for such an informative site, also thanks to Warrior for sharing so much knowledge and great information.

Have a blessed day

T-man

Last edited:
Hello to All of my fellow Veterans,

I currently serve with the NCNG which I have devoted 34 years with 10 years active service. I am a CW4 915E. I ran across this site back in Aug 14 while trying to decide my military future. I have been battling numerous medical conditions which were incurred in Iraq for over 7 years. I made an informed decision based off the subject matter experts on this site to pursue the IDES process starting with a fit for duty examination which I requested. I had my fit for duty exam 13 Nov 14 and have been referred to the MEB for 3 disqualifying conditions. I start the official MEB process 5 Jan 15 at Fort Bragg.

On another note, as a senior leader and dual status technician within our organization we are severly lacking in the overall knowledge of this process especially in the National Guard. I intend to educate as many Soldiers and the Command Team within my organization for Soldiers that were injured resulting in a LOD. This site is a clearing house for a wealth of information but your driving force are your members. OUTSTANDING JOB!

Good Morning everyone I just came across this forum and I am hoping that the experts here that have been such a wonderful source of information and advice can now help me with my situation. First let me introduce myself. My name is Travis I was in the Marine Corps and served for 15 1/2 years (with combat) before I was involuntarily retired for medical reasons back in June 2013.

This all began while I was going through infertility treatment when the Navy doctors noticed that I had an anomaly in one of the blood test results. This was further tested and determined that I had an extremely rare bleeding disorder (Factor VII deficiency). This disorder basically classified me as a Hemophiliac and as such no longer able to preform my duties as a Military Policeman or be world wide deployable.

I was placed on a PEB just as the IDES program was starting, along with the blood disorder I also was diagnosed with PTSD. At the end of the PEB I was placed on the TDRL with a rating of 0% for the blood disorder and 50% for the PTSD. My overall VA rating was then determined to be 80% and has recently been upgraded to 90%.

The reason I am posting is that I have just had a terrible update from the DoD yesterday, but I am sure that is a post for another section, I just wanted to do the prerequisite intro and background to provide that complete picture of what is going on.

Good Morning everyone I just came across this forum and I am hoping that the experts here that have been such a wonderful source of information and advice can now help me with my situation. First let me introduce myself. My name is Travis I was in the Marine Corps and served for 15 1/2 years (with combat) before I was involuntarily retired for medical reasons back in June 2013.

This all began while I was going through infertility treatment when the Navy doctors noticed that I had an anomaly in one of the blood test results. This was further tested and determined that I had an extremely rare bleeding disorder (Factor VII deficiency). This disorder basically classified me as a Hemophiliac and as such no longer able to preform my duties as a Military Policeman or be world wide deployable.

I was placed on a PEB just as the IDES program was starting, along with the blood disorder I also was diagnosed with PTSD. At the end of the PEB I was placed on the TDRL with a rating of 0% for the blood disorder and 50% for the PTSD. My overall VA rating was then determined to be 80% and has recently been upgraded to 90%.

The reason I am posting is that I have just had a terrible update from the DoD yesterday, but I am sure that is a post for another section, I just wanted to do the prerequisite intro and background to provide that complete picture of what is going on.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, I would suggest that you create your own thread on the PEB Forum for potentially a wider audience to respond to your specific inquiry. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Hey everyone I go by "Mo", just got informed that I'll be recommended for MEB. This site has answered a lot of questions for me Thanks!!!

Hello All,

Name is Nathan Ortiz, Currently USAF AD with over 10 years of AD service. Going through a MEB right know for TBI/Back problems. Born and raised in California. Currently stationed in Germany. Love this website and share with anyone who needs it. Thanks guys for everything you do.

Nate

Hi all. I just happened to find this site by doing a internet search on MEB & PEB information as I was new and never knew what IDES was until Sep 2016. This is a great site and I'm currently writing a white paper on the IDES to do's, readings and search information so that any of my Soldiers and others in my State will have something to help guide them as my State does a poor job of assisting Soldiers and Airmen in the IDES process. That just don't know so I did the research and will post an SOP with my HRO and Medical Services to assist. This site and all the others is a wealth of information and I cannot be more prouder of what all you have done that have contributed your experiences and assistance on this site for all to follow behind you. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

My Intro:
1995-1998 Regular Army enlisted INFANTRY
1998-2003 KY Army National Guard enlisted Infantry
2003-2007 Commissioned Military Intel, KY Army National Guard
2004-2005 OIF III deployed (Northern Kuwait)
2006-2007 REFRAD from 2nd deployment (Back and Shoulder injuries)
2007-Present AGR hired, Logistic branched, Brigade S1/S4 (ALOC Chief) KY Army National Guard.
All my illnesses where hidden away until I developed Diabetes in Dec 2015 and that is why I got referred along with the new MRTT policy for medical conditions.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for starting this site, it was a wonderful source of information to help me thru the IDES process. I am a recently Retired CW4 Army Aviator, with 39 plus yrs of service (12 AD, 27 AR/NG), three different wars. Proud to have served my country. Loved what I did. Was sad to get sick and be ruled "unfit to serve", but as health continues to go south, glad to have been medically retired. But I would trade it all for being able to be a combat Aviator again. Not in the cards. Thanks for helping so many of us with information and answers for our multiple questions. God Bless You!

Hi all, I am a 14 yr Marine Corps Gysgt. I was medboarded out in 2011. I have recently found out that there may be a chance that I should have been retired, because I was only given 20 % by the MEB, but 90% by the VS. Any help would be appreciated. Thabks

This is an awesome site, and was very helpful to understand the rules and the process when I started my MEB Nd PEB.

My name is Harold Coghlan, and I am now a Retired CW4 Army Aviator. I did that for 39 plus years, 11 AD and 28 plus Reserve, with too many tours to count, starting in the 1970s.

Thanks to everyone for your friendship and willingness to share valuable info. God Bless.

Thanks Jason!

Retired Army Major, prior service
Navy P3C Orion avionics In flight technician aircrewman.

Hello everyone, US Army Sergeant, active for 12 Years 5 Months, currently in MEB. I am a Dental Laboratory Technician (I make prosthetics for your mouth!)

Hello pebforum! I have been following for quite some time but just created an account. I have been in the military for 11yrs and was in an accident. Please see my first post!

"Code 37 since Feburary...need help"