Is TDRL mandatory when PTSD is a contributing factor?

Keri525

PEB Forum Regular Member
My husband is going thru the pilot program, and on his Narsum, he is being mebbed for all three of the following:
Lower back-degenerative disc disease, pinched nerves, herniated discs
PTSD
Hearing Loss

These are just the MEB/Army retirement things to be rated, not all the VA issues.
My question is, Is he likely to be put on TDRL because of the PTSD? Or because he has two other separate issues that warrant their own MEB, will they just say "look, this guy is never coming back on active duty, regardless if his PTSD gets better" and permanently retire him?

I believe he will be put on TDRL because of the PTSD rating. When he goes back for reevaluation, he will have to be checked for all his issues (that's what I have heard and I could be wrong). If the PTSD does not improve, then it will be changed to PDRL - but I do not know how long he would be on TRDL status.

All of his conditions are required to be included in his MEB and considered by the PEB for fitness. Ensure his MEB covers all medical conditions with full clinical data to include the data from the applicable VA exam worksheets. .

PTSD = TDRL as the condition is usually not stable for rating purposes. The only exception I know of is if he has other conditions, deemed unfitting by the PEB, that are stable for rating purposes and combined to 80% or more.

Mike

Mike

This is for maparker....
I went in for PTSD evaluation and treatment in May 2011... I have been seeing doctors and keep going in for evaluations. Finally they have decided to MEB me. My question is, with a diagnosis of PTSD, TBI, and unclassified Insomnia... the PTSD being the main thing... Since I have already been seen for almost a year now, and there is no change in the severity... would that be PDRL? Thanks

No, not very likley at all. PTSD can get better or worse over time and circumstances so I doubt very much it would be deemed PDRL out of the gate.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I just posted another thread about it.. just for S& giggles... but really, what if the PTSD is combined with TBI and Insomnia, I have been thinking about the possibilities, and now am content with being retired... I have almost 8 years in june on active duty. 1 15 month deployment as and EOD tech... 4 doctors notes saying I should be MEB'd and also friends that deployed with me letters... dont know if it helps. Forgot to add, that the Army is downsizing significantly, especially in the Officer ranks... didnt know if that would play into it.

Hey Mike what about this PEB Unfitting "Bipolar 1 Disorder, PTSD, Cognitive Disorder" and still meeting standards "Cubital Tunnel Syndrom, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Tinnitius, History of TBI, Migraine Headaches?

Unless you have other conditions that are also unfitting, stable, and combine to rate at 80%, you will almost certainly be placed on TDRL if you have PTSD. If your PTSD is longstanding and has not changed in a few years, then you could end up with PDRL, but it would have to be rated at 50% and permanent or higher...(via application of 38 C.F.R. 4.129, which mandates a 50% minimum rating for at least 6 months the only option would be a finding of permanency at 50% or more...though this appears theoretically possible, the reality is that I think the PEB's generally just rate people under 4.129. I suppose, though, with IDES development, you may see the VA rating people who qualify higher and this may change outcomes overtime).

I was told by my PEBLO that any condition that would put you under the TDRL (ie. PTSD) trumps ANY condition that puts you under the PDRL. I have numerous 'medically unacceptable' conditions, but because I have been diagnosed with PTSD, then it looks like it will be the TDRL for me for a bit.

I have a question if you guys could help me out Ok here is the deal. The army decided they were going to MEB me but the process is just now starting. I have been diagnosed as of now a Bipolar (NOS). I also have hearing loss and tinnitus and went through an MAR2 (Newer version of the MMRB) and was found fit for duty with a P3 Profile. My buddy talked to me about looking into getting rated for PTSD or talking to them about it as well. The only issue is i told the doc that i was being diagnosed with Bipolar disorder prior to joining the Army but was never officially diagnosed. I got almost 4 1/2 years in as an E-5 11B im married and have one daughter.