Just got my permanent retirement after being on TDRL confused???

Samantha sale

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been on TDRL for about a year and went up for my re eval. My results came in the mail and they decided to permanently retire me. I was expecting this but they did it at 30%. When I was placed on TDRL I was placed at 50% for PTSD. Through the VA I am 80% for PTSD, gastritis, and feet problems. I am scared to sign the letter agreeing with the 30% in fear that it will effect the 80% with the VA. I have talked with AFPC (AF) and they have said it will not, but I remember talking with someone and they said it had affected theres but I think it was because they lost enough to lose their retirement. Does anyone know any info on this? I am ok with 30% since I will still get Tricare, as long as I will still receive 80% from the VA. I only had 6 years in the AF. Thanks for any help. Do I need to contact the VA or does the AF tell them I am permanently retired and what new percentage I am or does it even matter?

Samantha

I have been on TDRL for about a year and went up for my re eval. My results came in the mail and they decided to permanently retire me. I was expecting this but they did it at 30%. When I was placed on TDRL I was placed at 50% for PTSD. Through the VA I am 80% for PTSD, gastritis, and feet problems. I am scared to sign the letter agreeing with the 30% in fear that it will effect the 80% with the VA. I have talked with AFPC (AF) and they have said it will not, but I remember talking with someone and they said it had affected theres but I think it was because they lost enough to lose their retirement. Does anyone know any info on this? I am ok with 30% since I will still get Tricare, as long as I will still receive 80% from the VA. I only had 6 years in the AF. Thanks for any help. Do I need to contact the VA or does the AF tell them I am permanently retired and what new percentage I am or does it even matter?

Samantha

No, your military findings will not have an impact on your VA findings by itself.

A few caveats....I suspect, given your date of being on TDRL for about a year that you were an IDES case. The VA should have provided your final ratings under DTM 11-015. The military branches seem to be uniformly blowing off this requirement. I am going to assume that the AF PEB provided your final rating. If that is the case, it is likely that the VA has no idea about the rating from the AF right now (and, should you accept, they will likely only learn of it in calculating your pay taking into account offset...this pay info does not go directly to VA Benefits Administration and the military finding will not be able to be used to directly reduce your VA rating. It may be that if you are better and your symptoms are better, that the VA could re-look your case at some point and reduce your rating. However, they would have to give you notice of any such proposed action and give you an opportunity to challenge any reduction. There are other technical hurdles to the VA reducing a rating. Did the VA rate you based on your degree of occupational and social impairment or did they rate based on 38 CFR 4.129 (minimum temporary rating of 50% for at least 6 months)? Essentially, the AF rating is not a basis for the VA to reduce your rating. If the VA found that you are improved, it can reduce your ratings...technically, I suppose they could use AF re-evaluation exam as evidence to support a lowering IF they have such a copy of the exam- which they probably don't.

Bottom line, it is highly unlikely that the AF finding will impact your VA rating. I suspect you may have issues you could appeal regarding the AF rating. However, depending on your VA compensation vs. your AF compensation you may not gain or lose money based on AF reduction in rating (also, taking into account Combat Related Special Compensation IF your PTSD is combat related).

Jason,
It is not combat related so I don't receive combat special pay. I am not at 20 years so that doesn't come into play either. I was just worried about the VA lowering it. I actually opted for the can do option. I am seen at the VA weekly for treatment, so I sent in all my medical records from the VA and my VA Doctor wrote a letter to the board with his recommendation. This resulted in the 30%. Its funny because when I read the letter he wrote, I felt really bad about myself. I was worried they may think I was worse than I was. Then they come back and say I am stable so I get 30%.

Samantha

Jason,
It is not combat related so I don't receive combat special pay. I am not at 20 years so that doesn't come into play either. I was just worried about the VA lowering it. I actually opted for the can do option. I am seen at the VA weekly for treatment, so I sent in all my medical records from the VA and my VA Doctor wrote a letter to the board with his recommendation. This resulted in the 30%. Its funny because when I read the letter he wrote, I felt really bad about myself. I was worried they may think I was worse than I was. Then they come back and say I am stable so I get 30%.

Samantha

Did he give an explicit opinion about the degree of your "occupational and social impairment"?

Samantha

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In my opinion, you should immediately seek SPEBC / JAG / military legal assistance for legal advice and potential recommendations.

If I may ask, was your PTSD re-evaluation performed by the AFPC or a non-military contractor [i.e., Ivan Walks and Associates (IWA)]? Were you TDRL under the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process or the DoD Legacy DES process?

From an U.S. Army perspective while within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, the Chief attorney at NCRPEB stated that the trend for IWA TDRL re-evaluation is resulting in lower rating for PTSD by the USAPDA PEB. It's understood that there exist an abundance of external factors specific for each re-evaluated IDES participant, but the leverage converts back to the DoD (Army) which more likely than not that an accurate military disability rating would be determined.

Whether this implementation is supportive of USC statues or not since U.S. Army (DoD IDES case) TDRL re-evaluations are placed in the DoD Legacy DES process, the NCRPEB SPEBC stated that the USAPDA PEB is using the civilian contractor called IWA for TDRL re-evaluations then using their examination report/results (along with any provided and/or obtained documentation within the re-evaluation period) to determine the new DoD rating; totally removing the DoVA D-RAS process for re-rating determinations.

To that extent as based upon the trend for significantly lower disability rating on TDRL re-evaluations, I am definitely not looking forward to my TDRL six-month re-evaluation with IWA then new rating determination by the USAPDA PEB.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I can't remember his exact words but said I would not be fit for the AF. It stated I have severe agoraphobia.

I just moved to San Antonio, so I am going to be at a new VA so I am going to be with new docs. I hope this doesn't mess with anything

No, your military findings will not have an impact on your VA findings by itself.
A few caveats....I suspect, given your date of being on TDRL for about a year that you were an IDES case. The VA should have provided your final ratings under DTM 11-015. The military branches seem to be uniformly blowing off this requirement. I am going to assume that the AF PEB provided your final rating. If that is the case, it is likely that the VA has no idea about the rating from the AF right now (and, should you accept, they will likely only learn of it in calculating your pay taking into account offset...this pay info does not go directly to VA Benefits Administration and the military finding will not be able to be used to directly reduce your VA rating. It may be that if you are better and your symptoms are better, that the VA could re-look your case at some point and reduce your rating. However, they would have to give you notice of any such proposed action and give you an opportunity to challenge any reduction. There are other technical hurdles to the VA reducing a rating. Did the VA rate you based on your degree of occupational and social impairment or did they rate based on 38 CFR 4.129 (minimum temporary rating of 50% for at least 6 months)? Essentially, the AF rating is not a basis for the VA to reduce your rating. If the VA found that you are improved, it can reduce your ratings...technically, I suppose they could use AF re-evaluation exam as evidence to support a lowering IF they have such a copy of the exam- which they probably don't.

Bottom line, it is highly unlikely that the AF finding will impact your VA rating. I suspect you may have issues you could appeal regarding the AF rating. However, depending on your VA compensation vs. your AF compensation you may not gain or lose money based on AF reduction in rating (also, taking into account Combat Related Special Compensation IF your PTSD is combat related).

Outstanding feedback; it's applicable to my own forthcoming TDRL situation upon completion of the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process! :D

Thank you Samantha for posting this thread, and thank you Jason for the sound insight in response! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Hello Samantha,

How long did your re-eval took? from the time you first had to report for your appointments, until you got the notice you were retired?

Thanks.

Samantha

Currently, what is your VA rating for PTSD? Is it still 50%? Has the VA done a C&P for the PTSD since you retired/separated?

I would appeal and send your VA Ratings Letter into the AF. VA is the ratings authority. In other words, if the VA says your PTSD should be at 70%, then it should be at 70%.

Currently, what is your VA rating for PTSD? Is it still 50%? Has the VA done a C&P for the PTSD since you retired/separated?

I would appeal and send your VA Ratings Letter into the AF. VA is the ratings authority. In other words, if the VA says your PTSD should be at 70%, then it should be at 70%.

For re evaluations the VA rating isnt affected . and the military rating can change .

I

Samantha
I am literally in the same boat as you I have PTSD (not combat related)0 and two back problems on the army side. I just finished my narsom and was wondering if they give me temporary retirment will they require me to go to weekly appts or just an evaluation like every 6 months. The reason I ask is because weekly appointments would severely impact my work and school schedule.

If you are placed on TDRL you only must report for your re-evaluation which is approximately a year after you are placed in TDRL. When you go for re-evaluation you will need to take medical documentation with you to show your current prognosis and you will also go through an evaluation at the military hospital. So make sure you continue to receive proper care so you have records to show it is an ongoing issue.

Also have a question. I've been on TDRL since September of 2013. I was rated at 80% through the navy and 100% through the VA. I have called multiple times to try and figure out what's going on with my periodic reevaluations and finally got a call back LAST WEEK! She says I should of already had 2 appointments and I've had nothing since I've been on TDRL. I don't really care about going to PDRL as I have other forms of insurance that I use and also the VA. If they kick me off the list, will I lose my VA benefits? Or should it stay unaffected? Thanks!

Also have a question. I've been on TDRL since September of 2013. I was rated at 80% through the navy and 100% through the VA. I have called multiple times to try and figure out what's going on with my periodic reevaluations and finally got a call back LAST WEEK! She says I should of already had 2 appointments and I've had nothing since I've been on TDRL. I don't really care about going to PDRL as I have other forms of insurance that I use and also the VA. If they kick me off the list, will I lose my VA benefits? Or should it stay unaffected? Thanks!
If they kick you off TDRL, you don't loose your VA benefit and since you are 100% VA, you still get the same benefit as military retiree except TRICARE.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Since you are approaching the old five year tenure duration for being on DoD military TDRL, your TDRL Branch/department shall definitely re-evaluate you at this particular point in time.

To that extent, upon completion of the TDRL re-evaluation, you shall either receive military severance pay or maintain a military retirement via placement onto the PDRL; only your military benefits shall be effected at this point. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

If say a condition is stable but, only stable because medications have made it stable does the DoD consider that as permanent and stable or do they consider decrease ratings at that point?