Just received my ratings (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome/Migraines/Depression/hypothyroidism)

PEBLO just messaged me letting me know I got 60% DoD 90% VA. While I'm far from upset, I'm oddly not happy either. Kind of just making everything sink in on how messed up I am now, and I was just reflecting on the fact that no one would hire someone that's gimped most days of the week before I got the email. Only reason my civilian supervisor puts up with me is there's no one to fill my billet when I'm gone so whatever she gets out of me is free work she wouldn't otherwise have.

Anyway here's ratings:

VA report lists:

MIGRAINE HEADACHES 30%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME WITH BACK PAIN 10%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME WITH NECK PAIN 10%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME LEFT KNEE (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) 10%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME RIGHT KNEE (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) 10%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME RIGHT WRIST (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) (DOMINANT) 10%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME LEFT WRIST (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) (NONDOMINANT) 10%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME LEFT SHOULDER (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) (NON-DOMINANT) 0%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME RIGHT SHOULDER (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) (DOMINANT) 0%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME RIGHT ANKLE (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) 0%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME LEFT ANKLE (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) 0%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME LEFT HIP (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) 0%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME RIGHT HIP (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) 0%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME RIGHT ELBOW (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) (DOMINANT) 0%
EHLER'S DANLOS SYNDROME LEFT ELBOW (CLAIMED AS JOINT PAIN) (NONDOMINANT) 0%
SOCIAL PHOBIA AND DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NOS (ALSO CLAIMED AS INSOMNIA AND ADJUSTMENT DISORDER) 50% This evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to routine future examination.
HYPOTHYROIDISM WITH CONSTIPATION (CLAIMED AS HASHIMOTOS THYROIDITIS) 30%
ECZEMA AND HYPERTRICHOSIS WITH HISTORY OF PSORIASIS 10%
SINUSITIS 0%
LARYNGOPHARYNGEAL REFLUX WITH HOARSENESS (CLAIMED AS GERD/LPR) 0%
Please note that while you have intermittent
hoarseness due to your reflux, there is no objective
evidence of an inflammation of vocal cords or
mucous membrane to warrant an evaluation for the
claimed hoarseness. Therefore the predominant
condition of reflux is being evaluated.
EXTERNAL HEMORRHOIDS 0%

SINUS TACHYCARDIA The evidence does not show a current diagnosed disability.
Sinus tachycardia or sinus bradycardia is not a
disability subject to VA compensation as the
diagnosis indicates that there is a normal rhythm,
but faster or slower than normal (for example
below 60 or above 90 beats per minute). In
diagnoses of sinus tachycardia, the patient has no
cardiac problem and the only concern doctors may
have is when an EKG shows an irregular heartbeat
that involve ventricles of the heart. If a patient has
sinus bradycardia or tachycardia, this signifies that
the patient's heart rhythm is regular.
Note: The current VA rating schedule provides
guidance that states, in part, that unusual cases of
arrhythmia such as atrioventricular block
associated with a supraventricular arrhythmia or
pathological bradycardia should be submitted to the
Director, Compensation and Pension Service.
Simple delayed P-R conduction time, in the
absence of other evidence of cardiac disease, is not
a disability.

For the DoD side, migraines and EDS joint issues were considered unfitting. I assume there's no reason to push for more being considered since I'm above 30%?

For the VA side, I'm pretty sure migraines should be 50%. In the past four years, I haven't had a month go by without at least four bedridden headaches and 8-15 is more the average. I kind of want to get my separation over with (had smoke damage issues in apartment and landlords being assholes about it so breaking lease would be godsend right now). If I just accepted now, would it be fairly easy to contest it as soon as I get out (I don't care if it takes a long time)? How much time would it add to do the VA reconsideration while I'm still in and is it possible for me to end up with a lower rating (I know I could probably look this up easy : p ) ?

Also, my tachycardia is likely due to postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (80% of people with EDS have it) although I haven't been diagnosed yet; would getting rated just be a matter of filing something if I do eventually get diagnosed?

Thanks in advance if anyone answers these questions, and I hope my info is useful (it's hard to come by EDS info).

PEBLO just messaged me letting me know I got 60% DoD 90% VA. While I'm far from upset, I'm oddly not happy either. Kind of just making everything sink in on how messed up I am now, and I was just reflecting on the fact that no one would hire someone that's gimped most days of the week before I got the email. Only reason my civilian supervisor puts up with me is there's no one to fill my billet when I'm gone so whatever she gets out of me is free work she wouldn't otherwise have.

Anyway here's ratings:

VA report lists:

MIGRAINE HEADACHES 30%
SOCIAL PHOBIA AND DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NOS (ALSO CLAIMED AS INSOMNIA AND ADJUSTMENT DISORDER) 50% This evaluation is not considered permanent and is subject to routine future examination.
SINUSITIS 0%
EXTERNAL HEMORRHOIDS 0%

a disability.

For the DoD side, migraines and EDS joint issues were considered unfitting. I assume there's no reason to push for more being considered since I'm above 30%?

For the VA side, I'm pretty sure migraines should be 50%. In the past four years, I haven't had a month go by without at least four bedridden headaches and 8-15 is more the average. I kind of want to get my separation over with (had smoke damage issues in apartment and landlords being assholes about it so breaking lease would be godsend right now). If I just accepted now, would it be fairly easy to contest it as soon as I get out (I don't care if it takes a long time)? How much time would it add to do the VA reconsideration while I'm still in and is it possible for me to end up with a lower rating (I know I could probably look this up easy : p ) ?

Also, my tachycardia is likely due to postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (80% of people with EDS have it) although I haven't been diagnosed yet; would getting rated just be a matter of filing something if I do eventually get diagnosed?

Thanks in advance if anyone answers these questions, and I hope my info is useful (it's hard to come by EDS info).

From my experiences within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, I offer the following responses:

Q1: For the DoD side, migraines and EDS joint issues were considered unfitting. I assume there's no reason to push for more being considered since I'm above 30%?
A1a: Not necessarily; did the DoD proposed ratings meet or exceed your expectations? Are there any other medical conditions you feel should be considered unfitting?
A1b: Disability retired pay is calculated on the basis of your actual disability rating (e.g., 30% rating) or length of service rating (2.5% x years of service), whichever is higher. The disability rating is capped at 75%. The length of service rating no longer has the 75% cap.
A1c: Military service members placed on the TDRL will have their retired pay calculated using a minimum of 50% even if their combined rating was less than 50%. Was your a TDRL or PDRL determination?

Q2: If I just accepted now, would it be fairly easy to contest it as soon as I get out (I don't care if it takes a long time)?
A2a: Depends, but I would believe your opportunity to contest should probably be available.
A2b: What would you contest upon military disability retirement?
A2c: If you want to contest, it's in your best interest to consider doing so while you are still on active duty. Even if you are unsuccessful, at least your disagreements/concerns are officially documented and should carryover to the next level of appealing boards.

Q3: How much time would it add to do the VA reconsideration while I'm still in and is it possible for me to end up with a lower rating (I know I could probably look this up easy : p ) ?
A3a: It seems to be taking a duraton between 1 to 3 months or even longer due to the backlog of DoVA claims.
A3b: Anything's possible during a VARR, but the trend is that the DoVA D-RAS rating would either remain the same, or increase as supported by medical evidence/documentation.

Q4: Also, my tachycardia is likely due to postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (80% of people with EDS have it) although I haven't been diagnosed yet; would getting rated just be a matter of filing something if I do eventually get diagnosed?
A4: Upon official medical condition diagnosis, obtain copies of all medical documentation then submit a new claim to the DoVA if your status changes to a military veteran. If your official medical condition diagnosis is obtained while you are still on active duty, you can either add it to your current DoVA claim in your DoD IDES case file (best course of action), or add it to a new DoVA claim during the exit/final interview appointment with the MSC.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Thanks for the feedback ^.^

Thanks for the feedback ^.^

You are welcome! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Anyway here's ratings:

VA report lists:

MIGRAINE HEADACHES 30%
SINUSITIS 0%
EXTERNAL HEMORRHOIDS 0%

a disability.

I’m going through a very similar process and have been so concerned over the genetic portion despite the fact I may have never been sympatic if I weren’t jumping from planes. My last jump is when everything kicked in from chronic pain, migraines, POTs, and possibly even mast cell activation disorder (not yet diagnosed). I got placed in the WTU to figure out a treatment for my “fibromyalgia” only to find that was only one of many ailments. Let’s not even get into the Reynauds!

I’m going through a very similar process and have been so concerned over the genetic portion despite the fact I may have never been sympatic if I weren’t jumping from planes. My last jump is when everything kicked in from chronic pain, migraines, POTs, and possibly even mast cell activation disorder (not yet diagnosed). I got placed in the WTU to figure out a treatment for my “fibromyalgia” only to find that was only one of many ailments. Let’s not even get into the Reynauds!

Did anything ever come of the POTs?