Just started on Humira for Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis

eerf123

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello everyone I am active duty Air Force and have just started taking Humira. When my PCM referred me for an off base dermatologist she put me on a Code 31 ( not World Wide Qualified) for 90 days. Anyone know what will happen when this codes runs out in September? Will it be changed to a Code 37 at that point?
I am sitting at 18.5 years at this point and wondering how close I am to entering the IDES process. How much time would I need to be on the humira for the DAWG to effectively evaluate my case? My PCM originally put me on a Code 31 for a full year but when I asked about it they changed it to only 90 days.

I have read that they want to see the condition become “stable” but that seems rather subjective to me. My main goal of course is to make it to 20 years so I am in no hurry for the process to start. Any tips and pointers are appreciated.

Many times cases stay under the radar for a long time. So, I'd not discuss this with my on base medics, unless they ask. If a MEB/PEB starts, you can slow roll the process. Using every option at your disposal. Given you are 18.5 years and no MEB has been started you have a good chance of hitting 20.

When your AF469 goes from code 31 to code 37, the MEB begins. Code 31's are usually normal (PT Test Profiles, etc.). In September when it expires it will not automatically turn into a code 37. Just to be sure monitor MY IMR once or twice a week to ensure no changes have occurred. Like chaplaincharlie said, you have a good chance of hitting 20.

I started Humira on March 29 this year for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I’m 10 years active duty Air Force. My on base derm has talked about starting Humira for the last two years but always mentioned it was an auto MEB.

Was put on code 31 on April and by early May was code 37. I think it was early June when I finally talked to my PCM again to gather all the details of my conditions. Just got my commanders letter signed for the IRILO literally last week. Hoping for a RTD with the IRILO and just go on with my career. Commander wrote a favorable letter and all the records in my file from Docs have put in a RTD recommendation.

I’m definitely still early in the process but hopefully it shares a little insight.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Bwit43, Have you seen positive results from the Humira?

Oh yeah, my skin is almost completely clear cept a little on my elbows. The biggest improvement is that I sleep through the night and feel more rested. I think I just grew accustomed to the pain over the years and didn’t realize how much it was affecting me. Im also back to playing sports and other physical activity. I still get occasional pain in some of my finger joints and my right ankle, but nothing to crazy and could just be regular soreness.

I’m thankful the Dermatologist said he was going to recommend a MEB whether I started Humira or not. Definitely been a life changer.

I have put on about 10 pounds since I started, but reading online it could be I am just eating more or not burning as many calories through my immune system(searched online and they say Humira itself doesn’t cause weight gain).

Great to hear, thanks for sharing. I am really hoping to be able to get back into running again. I haven’t been able to run due to the pain in my feet. Also good to know about a potential weight gain, I do notice that I am not as hungry the last few days. Also like you mentioned I am sleeping very good. Slightly less energy so far but I have only been on it since August 1st.

Hello, I was looking for member input on LAS and saw this and a few other posts about Psoriasis. Let me first say that I had to create an account and am typing this with my 18 m/o sleeping in my lap. The reason I say that is because this could be VERY important to anyone that reads this. The short if you want to get MEB'd yes you cannot be on active duty and take humira that may change at some point with Humira not needing refrigeration like it used to but I doubt it.
Now why I really wanted to post something. I have had Psoriasis since 2001 within a month of getting the smallpox vaccine patches started showing up.
This progressed and got much worse over the years I used only clobetosol ointment as treatment. In 2011 I tried the UV light treatment at WPAFB no improvement.
2013 prescribed Psoriatain I never took it because of side effects.
2015 psoriatic arthritis started messing up my feet, elbows, hips, shoulders well you know all joints. I took it for 2 years on and off to skirt the MEB with my Derm Dr saying I could stop if needed. Is that legit, I dont think so.
2017 MEB not for Psoriatic, but ankle then foot surgery and 2 years of profiles.
Now Humira did help my skin but I hated sticking that thing in my stomach. I went for my Rhuematology visit and the Dr. who also took Humira looked great down 30 lbs and off humira he said he stopped drinking milk.
I thought I love cereal but hate these injections I will give it a go and see if it helps me.
After only 3 months of staying away from dairy I have ZERO plaque psoriasis, my skin has been at least 40% for 19 years. Now I always knew something was up with milk sometimes it killed my stomach and sometimes not at all.
IF you want to stay in or don't want to mess with Humira try taking dairy out of your diet.
My sleep has improved greatly, if I slip up and have cheese on something I will be tossing and turning all night even if no stomach pain.
I have been on ALL the allergy meds since I got to Ohio 8 years ago plus 1 or 2 E.R. visits each year for breathing problems followed by prednisone. I have stopped all allergy meds Allegra, Albutoral, and 2 others.
I have not changed anything else in my diet.
My feet no longer ache like hell, the fibro which I always thought was BS has not been an issue.
SO PLEASE if you are active/reserve and want to stay in please please try NO DAIRY. I still F'up steaks though. So that BS about it being high fat content, no.

Thanks for sharing that information, I don’t really drink milk but I do eat yogurt daily. Did you find the info you needed for the LAS?

Thanks for sharing that information, I don’t really drink milk but I do eat yogurt daily. Did you find the info you needed for the LAS?
I did too, I had to change my breakfast routine, I ate greek yogurt every morning for breakfast for 3 years. I switched to raw / unsalted nuts to get protein and fats in the morning. On the LAS, I learned not to fall for it. It sounded fishy, waving my rights to appeal to roll the dice on that being approved.

Same here, I eat Greek yogurt everyday, I might try to find an alternative then.

Yes, the LAS seems risky doing it to early, seems like just a last resort method. I'm not sure why they cant be more transparent with the process, they have all the information they need at that point (Post IPEB/PEB) to make the determination. So are you still in right now?

Yes and kind of, I can retire 1 May 20, so I would like to not be under MEB so that I may apply for the Career Skills Program and intern the last months of my career. But I haven't been able to get in touch with the OAC to talk with them yet.

So if they find you unfit again at the FPEB you still have another appeal and a VARR left right and then the LAS if need be to get you past 20.

Just an update to anyone reading this thread In the future

I have been returned to duty with an assignment limitation code C-2

Just an update to anyone reading this thread In the future

I have been returned to duty with an assignment limitation code C-2
Do you think your Time in Service ultimately swayed the board? Just curious cause my commanders letters/doc letters/my letters all were strongly return to duty but the PEB acknowledged these but decided I wasn’t fit for duty.

Personally I think it did. They probably viewed it as a waste of time since more likely than not, the case would have concluded after my 20 year mark anyway.

It’s funny though, On my IRILO packet the DAWG chair checked Yes for “Does the condition impose unreasonable requirements on the military to protect the member"

But his final recommendation was still a RTD, so the Chief of Medical Staff for the base recommended I be returned to duty, I think that carried alot of weight with AFPC as well.

My PCM was pretty overzealous and wrote the NARSUM like I was damn near on my death bed and threw multiple other issues on there, but the DAWG Chief stripped all the other stuff but psoriasis out and determined that the psoriasis was NOT an unsuiting condition