Knee surgery with continued unstable feeling accompanied by pain MEB ?'s

concernedsoldier4

Registered Member
I have been in the Army now for 2 years, been passed through AIT after passing MOS classes while being diagnosed with an oblique tear of the posterior horn of my lateral meniscus through an MRI. When sent to my permanent duty station I was told nothing was torn, and had arthroscopic surgery to remove cartilage and debris floating throughout my knee. This was back in June of 2011, originally diagnosed in Oct 2010, been on profile since Oct 2010. Now have been referred to an MEB. Still not able to walk down or up stairs without holding the rail, cannot run or jog, or do sit ups without extreme pain and unstable shaky feelings. Knee gives out occasionally and have immense pain and discomfort sitting at my desk. Job is MI and am needed to be deployable. What are the chances my MEB is successful and what percentage should i expect to see, as along with the chronic pain and favoring of my injured knee, I am now experiencing terrible back pain and hip pain. I have also completed 8 months physical therapy with symptoms continuing. Can anyone offer advise or information on what I should expect to happen from this process?

concerned,

One thing to look forward to is a lot of waiting, this process seems to take forever. Alot will depend on your range of motion for your knee. Have you had the back and hip pain looked at, they might and I stress might be connected to your problems with your knee. It also depends on whether you want to stay in or get out, that decision is best for you to make. I would recommend going to the Download section here and looking up the VASRD that is what they will use to rate your conditions for percentages, also there will be differences from the Army's rating and the VA's rating, since the Army will only rate you on what is unfitting for continued military service as apposed to what the VA looks at for future employability, also AR 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness, that has some good information it on what to expect.

Best advice is keep reading all the information you can on here and ask questions at every step, as I said this process is long and it will at times seem like things are going nowhere fast but hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

oldsoldier

Definitely get your back and hips looked at as well and get them documented in your medical records. I started out with a torn calf muscle that was misdiagnosed and I still had to run and work on it, It is now inoperable and I have permanent weakness in it. I also began to have pain in my other joints ( knees, hips and back) and the pain was was found to be a result of the torn calf muscle. Having to compensate for the weakness from the torn muscle was throwing my whole body out of whack and caused secondary injuries. When you bring this up be clear that these are new issues. I had to get my civilian ortho doctor to clearly state in his notes that the pain in the other joints were related to the primary injury, in your case your knee. Don’t be surprised if the military tries to say they existed prior to service.