LDES ENROLLMENT

Mermaidens123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello, I’m currently in the process of requesting enrollment into LDES PEB process. My plan is that since I technically still have an eaos of July 2nd I can submit my claim with a vso through the va BDD program. I will have to do everything with the va side on my own but it will get me out the service within 3-4 months. I am aware that I may not receive the va benefits as quickly this way. Does anyone have experience going through LDES and still filing a claim with the va via BDD on your own while active duty awaiting DOD findings? Or since I’m choosing LDES does this disqualify me from the program and make me ineligible to file a claim with the va until I receive my dd214? My MSC said this can be done. Anyone have experience?

I thought LDES was not an option anymore. I thought it went away in 2008-2009 except for very specific cases like cadets injured during training. There was a DODi that came out about it. Did it come back?

I thought LDES was not an option anymore. I thought it went away in 2008-2009 except for very specific cases like cadets injured during training. There was a DODi that came out about it. Did it come back?

USMC Info:

What is LDES?

"The Legacy Disability Evaluation System (LDES) was rolled back out as an option in June 2016 for those service members that desire to exit the service in a more expeditious manner. The Department of the Navy Physical Evaluation Board will make a fitness determination, and also award the DoD disability rating utilizing the same rating manual as the VA. It will be up to the Marine/Sailor to initiate their own VA claim with a veteran service organization, or through eBenefits once a discharge date has been established. Those with a golden job opportunity, or a short fused deadline to enroll in college normally elect the LDES over the IDES process."

Disability Evaluation System (DES) <---LINK

Ron

Edited to add: This suggests the LDES is now only used as an exception to policy action. ---->LINK
Note: You can skip the annoying first three minutes of the clip and keep your three minutes for something useful.

I choose to go into the LDES since I'm in the guard and already had a VA rating. In your case I wouldn't go with the LDES. Even if you file with the BBD it can take a substantial amount of time to get your VA benefits. The IDES will do a much more thuro job at reviewing your case and coding your conditions correctly so you maybe entitled to
CRSC or CDRP.

Talk to your lawyer, which should be assigned if in the Marine Corps. By "assigned" I mean its a requirement for a MEB/PEB brief to be given by a lawyer and you have to sign off on the election of either IDES or LDES. They should explain it to you, offer counsel at no charge throughout the process and answer all your questions.