Letter from the DoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterflykysses007

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello All,

first off id like to say thanks for all of the help these past few months.

ok, just to catch you all up. Aug 28th was my last active duty day!! TDRL at 90%. If all goes well I will get my first disability pay Oct 1st. Today I received a letter in the mail from the DoD saying that I'm going get retirement pay. Um this has to be a mistake... Crazy right? According to this letter I'm entitled to get paid a month at 50%. This is separate from my disability amount. My question is, has anyone else received this letter? Im not complaining I just want to make sure im not dreaming.

Last edited:
In cases where the VA pay>DOD pay than the DOD will pay until ratings are completed then it will come from VA.

The DOD notification is likely them "catching you up" on missed pay from the interval between when you left AD and the VA ratings were finalized. It takes a few weeks to create your retirement account, so that may explain the timing of the letter.

Anyone placed in TDRL status are entitled to 50% base pay as retired pay. It does not matter the percentage assigned by the DOD the max pay will always be 50% once you are on TDRL. Hope this helps

I was awarded 90% from the va and 50% from the navy during my medboard. The letter says what I will get a month in retirement pay. I also received a letter from the va stating what I would receive from them. Im just confused because I didn't know I would qualify for retirement pay and disability pay. or am I still misunderstanding?

You do qualify for both because you are on TDRL. But you will only receive 50% of your base pay.

really! wow. Then I will be thankful.

another question- TDRL. Does that mean my kids will be taken off of prime and I have to pay for standard? I know ive read all of this stuff, but I can barely remember half of it.

Thanks for your help.

You will receive disability retirement. That retirement will be offset by your VA compensation. The offset can be partially or completely restored via CRDP or CRSC, if eligible. Often, the DoD retirement will be established before the VA so, if their is no VA pay to offset, you will get the DoD pay without VA offset.

Mike

THANKS EVERYONE.

I just didn't want to receive to payments and end up paying money back. the government doesn't play when it comes to getting their money back.

really! wow. Then I will be thankful.

another question- TDRL. Does that mean my kids will be taken off of prime and I have to pay for standard? I know ive read all of this stuff, but I can barely remember half of it.

Thanks for your help.

You can choose to remain on Prime, but you will have to pay the annual fee (a little over $500) or you can go with standard not sure what the fees are for those, you can find out using milconnect.

With 20 years of longevity will 75% be paid by the DOD if medical conditions warrant 75%?
Also will this be paid in addition to the max 100% VA if medical conditions are rated 100%?

You will receive disability retirement. That retirement will be offset by your VA compensation. The offset can be partially or completely restored via CRDP or CRSC, if eligible. Often, the DoD retirement will be established before the VA so, if their is no VA pay to offset, you will get the DoD pay without VA offset.

Mike
The information posted by maparker is accurate and corrects some inaccurate info posted by others earlier in this old thread.

Note: TDRL is paid at a minimum of 50%.

If a retiree had a 100% rating, the retiree would be paid at 75% (the maximum).
If the retiree’s longevity percentage (AD years x 2.5%) is higher than 50% and the approved DoD percentage, the retiree would receive the longevity percentage.

Ancient thread closed.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.