Likely meb coming up, need advise

Brokenzzz

Registered Member
I am likely to be facing another meb soon (rtd last time with c-2).
Basic info: Upper respiratory issue, can't run, use inhalers.

First meb, I was only rated on the condition that prevented me from running. Have been on walk profile since. In addition to the rated condition, the more serious issue is the back pain that is so pervasive in my life that I've become depressed and have major anxiety whenever I have to do anything strenuous, especially the walk test which destroys me for days afterwards.
I have been in physical therapy for over ten years and the only options I have left are serious drugs, sketchy injections or constant back surgeries.

I am just over 16 years and I truly wanted to make 20, but I no longer believe I will make it before I am completely broken. The reason for that is the job I'm in is unrelenting and I would be ostracized if I were to be down for 6 or more months going through intensive treatment and not wearing gear or doing the things that aggravate the problems. I don't want to be a burden on my unit, but I know I cannot get better by just sucking it up anymore.

So I'm looking for advise on how to actually proceed. Is there a way to get more intensive treatments without just being pushed out? I have researched my options for my back pretty thoroughly and there is no good solutions on the surgery front. Everything is a band aid. I believe that I could get well enough to finish my service if I could back off the physical triggers for a amount of time that would allow me to heal and recover.

Since I don't think there is anything for this first situation, my gut tells me I would rather retain as much of my back function as possible and be able to continue working after I leave. How should I go about advocating for all of my issues that are truly creating a cycle of pain and lack of healing on my narsum so that if I am found unfit, I would hopefully be retired instead of separated? My running issue cannot really get better with my back and my lungs fighting me and no period of time that I can back off and work on them effectively.

I left this a bit vague just to protect my identity for now as I still haven't approached my shirt or cc yet since I know as soon as the cat is out of the bag, things will happen fast. I know others have felt cornered like this before and I am asking for advise to get through this in the best way possible for me and my family. I will answer questions as best I can until I have a great on this and how to continue. Thank you, and thanks to all who serve!

Is there anyway for you to move into an office/admin type of position at work?

I haven't asked yet. Again, this is a career field that can shun you in cases like this. I don't know yet if they would as it's a pretty new assignment. I go see my shirt soon to get started.

My AFSC is admin related. How do you think an ability to not PT test would impact a fit/unfit decision?
Without knowing the details, what I've learned over the last few years is you have a good chance of being found fit or unfit based on your cc recommendation. You should seek their support with whatever direction you want it to go. If this is long term and you are going to get worse or never deploy, I would think your chances of being unfit will be much higher.

I am likely to be facing another meb soon (rtd last time with c-2).
Basic info: Upper respiratory issue, can't run, use inhalers.

First meb, I was only rated on the condition that prevented me from running. Have been on walk profile since. In addition to the rated condition, the more serious issue is the back pain that is so pervasive in my life that I've become depressed and have major anxiety whenever I have to do anything strenuous, especially the walk test which destroys me for days afterwards.
I have been in physical therapy for over ten years and the only options I have left are serious drugs, sketchy injections or constant back surgeries.

I am just over 16 years and I truly wanted to make 20, but I no longer believe I will make it before I am completely broken. The reason for that is the job I'm in is unrelenting and I would be ostracized if I were to be down for 6 or more months going through intensive treatment and not wearing gear or doing the things that aggravate the problems. I don't want to be a burden on my unit, but I know I cannot get better by just sucking it up anymore.

So I'm looking for advise on how to actually proceed. Is there a way to get more intensive treatments without just being pushed out? I have researched my options for my back pretty thoroughly and there is no good solutions on the surgery front. Everything is a band aid. I believe that I could get well enough to finish my service if I could back off the physical triggers for a amount of time that would allow me to heal and recover.

Since I don't think there is anything for this first situation, my gut tells me I would rather retain as much of my back function as possible and be able to continue working after I leave. How should I go about advocating for all of my issues that are truly creating a cycle of pain and lack of healing on my narsum so that if I am found unfit, I would hopefully be retired instead of separated? My running issue cannot really get better with my back and my lungs fighting me and no period of time that I can back off and work on them effectively.

I left this a bit vague just to protect my identity for now as I still haven't approached my shirt or cc yet since I know as soon as the cat is out of the bag, things will happen fast. I know others have felt cornered like this before and I am asking for advise to get through this in the best way possible for me and my family. I will answer questions as best I can until I have a great on this and how to continue. Thank you, and thanks to all who serve!
If you hard hard broke you could ask the MDG to move you to the patient squadron. While in the patients squadron you do light duty somewhere on the installation, but appointments come first. The AF sent a good number of their flight docs to learn acupuncture, which is often effect at managing pain. Also hypnosis is great with pain. Best wishes.

If you hard hard broke you could ask the MDG to move you to the patient squadron. While in the patients squadron you do light duty somewhere on the installation, but appointments come first. The AF sent a good number of their flight docs to learn acupuncture, which is often effect at managing pain. Also hypnosis is great with pain. Best wishes.
Thanks for the tips, definitely worth looking into! I also saw that Tricare recently authorized a artificial replacement disc procedure so I will be researching that too to see if there long term benefits are better than the other options.

Are you exempt from all components except waist? Are you coded a 31 or 37 on your 469?
I am exempt from all components except for waist and I am coded for 37. I’m just waiting for my exams to be scheduled.

The PT exemptions in and of themselves will rarely result in an unfit. I have worked with many people (Air Force) over the years that had permanent waist only profiles. But the underlying conditions which generate the profiles are what matters.