Limdu for 2 separate issues

Xavirgsi1231

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am currently in the Marine Corps going on seven years. I was placed on limdu for thoracic outlet syndrome and an injury to my foot that requires surgery. I may go on limu for PTSD related to the accident and from a combat deployment. If I am referred to a MEB for any of the three issues will DOD rate all three points since I am on LIMDU for them or only for the issue that I was referred to the MEB for?

DoD only rates unfitting issues. What is unfitting is found in your services guidance. Since the USN provides medical services for the USMC, look at USN guidance. In the resource tab of this website you will find USN medical retention guidance.

@Xavirgsi1231

Marine here going through MEB currently. I was placed on LIMDU and sent to the MEB when assignment to a second period of LIMDU was denied.

Any one of your issues could result in referral to the MEB if your provider determines your medical issues(s) haven't resolved during your first or subsequent periods of LIMDU.

Your medical provider can refer you to the MEB for one or multiple medical issues. The MEB will evaluate those issues as well as your entire medical history to determine if any of your medical issues are disqualifying and/or do not meet retention standards. During this time (if you elect IDES) you will also submit a VA claim for ALL medical issues resulting from your military service.

I was referred to the MEB for one condition but the MEB found multiple medical issues that were disqualifying and did not meet retention standards (MEBs words, not mine) so the MEB referred the original issue as well as others to the PEB for fitness determinations.

You will be referred to the PEB if the MEB determines your referred medical condition(s), medical condition(s) claimed for VA disability, or any other condition(s) in your medical record do not meet retention standards.

The PEB will determine if the medical condition(s) referred by the MEB are unfitting.

The VA will provide a rating for all conditions you put on your disability claim when you enter the IDES process. This is your VA rating and will be used to determine how much you receive in VA benefits.

VA will also provides a rating for the condition(s) the PEB found unfitting. This is your DoD rating and it determines if you are medically separated or medically retired. You are medically separated if your DoD rating is less than 30%. You are medically retired if your DoD rating is 30% or higher.

On a side note, did your provider recommend surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome? I had a blood clot in my left arm (wasn't the first time) and one hypothesis was the clots were a result of poor circulation caused by TOS. They actually did a whole workup and had the OR on standby to surgically remove one of my ribs if the TOS diagnosis had been confirmed. Still have all my ribs but they have no idea what is causing the blood clots so here I sit waiting for the PEB to find me unfit.

@Xavirgsi1231

Marine here going through MEB currently. I was placed on LIMDU and sent to the MEB when assignment to a second period of LIMDU was denied.

Any one of your issues could result in referral to the MEB if your provider determines your medical issues(s) haven't resolved during your first or subsequent periods of LIMDU.

Your medical provider can refer you to the MEB for one or multiple medical issues. The MEB will evaluate those issues as well as your entire medical history to determine if any of your medical issues are disqualifying and/or do not meet retention standards. During this time (if you elect IDES) you will also submit a VA claim for ALL medical issues resulting from your military service.

I was referred to the MEB for one condition but the MEB found multiple medical issues that were disqualifying and did not meet retention standards (MEBs words, not mine) so the MEB referred the original issue as well as others to the PEB for fitness determinations.

You will be referred to the PEB if the MEB determines your referred medical condition(s), medical condition(s) claimed for VA disability, or any other condition(s) in your medical record do not meet retention standards.

The PEB will determine if the medical condition(s) referred by the MEB are unfitting.

The VA will provide a rating for all conditions you put on your disability claim when you enter the IDES process. This is your VA rating and will be used to determine how much you receive in VA benefits.

VA will also provides a rating for the condition(s) the PEB found unfitting. This is your DoD rating and it determines if you are medically separated or medically retired. You are medically separated if your DoD rating is less than 30%. You are medically retired if your DoD rating is 30% or higher.

On a side note, did your provider recommend surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome? I had a blood clot in my left arm (wasn't the first time) and one hypothesis was the clots were a result of poor circulation caused by TOS. They actually did a whole workup and had the OR on standby to surgically remove one of my ribs if the TOS diagnosis had been confirmed. Still have all my ribs but they have no idea what is causing the blood clots so here I sit waiting for the PEB to find me unfit.
That was an awesome explanation. I was told thorastic outlet can cause blood flow issues or nerve issues. My issues where from years of wear and tear of being in the infantry. I was told it’s from my posture, which is compressing on a nerve. They tried Botox, and physical therapy but, it didn’t really work. They recommended surgery but I don’t want to do it becuase of all the issues that is can cause. I hope you honestly get better and thank you for the great explanation!