LIMDU for Knees but Bad Back is worse

usmcssgtva

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I need some help people. I have been in the Marine Corps for 10 years and have been battling injuries for the past 3 years. Here is my dilemma:

I have been on LIMDU for approximately 10 months for osteoarthritis in both of my knees. I have received injections in both and nothing has worked. Meanwhile, I had spinal surgery in 2009 for a herniated disc and in the past 8 month have had some serious pain. My overall question is that even though I am on limited duty for my knees, can my Neurosurgeon that performed my back surgery put me in for a MEB? I spoke with Orthopedics and the Dr. that was seeing me there said I have a better chance (of getting medically retired) if I get the MEB for my back condition with an addendum for my knees. My command is starting to question my medical status and I may be seeking to get legal involved. Thoughts?

Within the MTF certain doctors are designated to evaluate service members when MEB is being initiated. If your Neuro doc things you should be referred to MEB then he can forward the appropriate info. All he has to do is make some phone calls if he is unfamiliar with how it works and who to speak with at the MTF. Also, your back injury should also be reviewed at the MEB if one is initiated for your knees. I assume your back is also a cause that would prevent you from staying in? Since you are already on limited duty the clock is ticking. Do you have work limitations in place do to your back? If not, I would have your Neuro doc write something up to supplement your LIMDU file.

Within the MTF certain doctors are designated to evaluate service members when MEB is being initiated. If your Neuro doc things you should be referred to MEB then he can forward the appropriate info. All he has to do is make some phone calls if he is unfamiliar with how it works and who to speak with at the MTF. Also, your back injury should also be reviewed at the MEB if one is initiated for your knees. I assume your back is also a cause that would prevent you from staying in? Since you are already on limited duty the clock is ticking. Do you have work limitations in place do to your back? If not, I would have your Neuro doc write something up to supplement your LIMDU file.

Thank you Pittpan! I am new to all of this and I forgot to mention that both of my periods of LIMDU were covered with abbreviated MEBs. Nothing was ever formalized other than "you are on limited duty, continue to receive treatmet". I am trying to do as much research as possible right now, as my time is expiring in May. I am going back to Neurosurgery on 28 March to see what her recommendation is and if she will initiate the formal MEB process.

They will have to do something since you 2nd period is expiring: continue on LIMDU, Fit or MEB.

They will have to do something since you 2nd period is expiring: continue on LIMDU, Fit or MEB.

I understand what you are saying but my overall concern is: If I go on LIMDU for medical issue "a" and medical issue "b" (which happened first, but LIMDU was never initiated) trumps medical issue "a" in severity, can I go on a MED board for "b"? Does that make sense?

I understand what you are getting at. If your MEB is initiated there will be a physical, a written position from your doctors and a non-medical assessment from your CO. You will review all the paperwork before it is sent to the Naval Yard in D.C. If "all" of your medical conditions are not listed in the doctors dictation you can submit your own letter discussing it and also ask your doctor/doctors to review and change there assessment. Within the medical assessment it will list what conditions they are asking the MEB to review. The MEB is going to review all of your medical records so they are going to see your back problems. You are smart by looking into this now and educating yourself. Don't stress yourself out too much, I know it's easier said then done, but it's a long process and patience is key. When is your EAS?

Thanks again for all of your guidance, I truly appreciate it. This process is very confusing. I EAS in May 2014, so there is still time left.

Update: I herniated another disc in the midst of my second period of LIMDU for my knees. I just had another back surgery and am currently on 30 days of convalescent leave. I was told by Neurosurgery that they will put in a 3rd LIMDU once I return from convalescent leave. As a Marine I am expected to be able to run a PFT and CFT every year. I cannot run because of my knees. I will not do the CFT because I am not risking another back injury trying to fireman carry a 200 lb guy. At this point, I just want to get out and move on. I was planning on getting out anyways and this is just too much political bs between the doctors and my command. I am just curious on any sort of disability that may come from all of this. Good news is I am almost done with my Masters degree, so hopefully job hunting will be slightly easier. Any thoughts?