Limited Assignment Status and PT

breybok

PEB Forum Regular Member
Has anyone delt with or have any knowledge on this matter.

Some back story: While deployed to Iraq in 07 i injured my back after getting thrown from my truck during a mortor attack. I did no say anything due to 2 army solders being killed in the attack and my injury seemed petty after that. OK. after 2 years of dealing with AF docs and an incompetent surgeon where im stationed I requested a second opinion and was told I needed surgury to fixed my back. I had my L4-S1 fused on 09. In Mar 11 informal MEB findings unfit for duty,seperation with severiance at 16 1/2 years, injuries combat related and was assigned as wounded warrior. I then recieved formal MEB May 11 same finding but with 17 years, but this time was not clasified as wounder warior??? lossing all assistance from them. SO I applied for Limited Assignment Status (LAS) ans was approved Jul 11. Immediatly I was PT tested with recieved a failure (#1). BS. After getting averything but waist exempt I was able to pass after some not healthy weight loss/shrinking. I asked the question to my leadership PEBLO anyone who would listen about LAS and PT testing. No one has a clue. So I suck it up until my next PT test in May 12. Fail (#2). during the PT test I reinjured myself due to my PCM only exempting situps, and Making me do the 1 mile Walk (This is not a walk its a run with keeping your feet on the ground). Once again fighting the who time about the damn LAS. SO now im about to do my reeval and fighting for exemptions.

My question. If im found phisically unfit for duty by the MEB 2X's and approved assignment under LAS what are the PT standards? This is not addressed in AFI36-3212 or the PT reg. And I cant get a staight answer from anyone. I am now at 18 years and just trying to do my time or MEB again which appeantly was told I cant get done. SO it looks like my squadron/base/AF is trying to push me out with nothing. Has anyone dealt with this, have any info or at least who I might be able to contact for help. I have reached my Limits with this and I am at a dead end. Anyone got anything.

Breybok: My disability retirement was effective 28 Jun 12....I spent the last nearly 14 months on LAS. Unfortunately, being on LAS is not an expemption from the PT test or any component of it. You still need the profile from your PCM and then the add'l form from the HAWK as to what components of the test you can/can't do. I know its hard to keep the waist within standards when your disability puts physical limits on you. BUT...that profile is not a license to be a couch potato. You've got to find cardio activities that you can do within your limits (espicially on the "good" days when you may be relatively pain free) to do something....be it power walking, swimming laps, stationary bike, etc. Also, have you met with a nutritionist? Remember, as you get older, you no longer need all those calories we needed we were young pups! If you're not doing cardio activities, it's doubly hard to burn those calories. Would also recommend you talk with a physical therapist for advice as to setting up a program to help condition yourself to get you back into to doing a cardio program safely without causing more injury to your back. Good luck!