Limited Assignment Status

mjf114

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Does anybody have a current approval rate for Limited Assignment Status applicant's? I ask even though haven't received my SAFPC appeal verdict yet, and not expected to receive it until Sep-Dec. I appealed to the SAFPC to be returned to duty. I'm a helicopter flight engineer that had a spinal fusion, and have been disqualified from aviation service, and now I work as a Detachment Superintendent. During my appeal I received favorable letters of recommendation from 2 Colonels and 5 Lt Colonels and 1 Chief, all in my chain of command from MAJCOM down to the Squadron level. My attorney says that if I don't get an RTD from the SAFPC, we will file for Limited Assignment Status in order to try and get to the 20 yr point. I'll have 19 years completed by the time we would file for LAS?

Thank you

Hey did you ever receive a response from SAFPC? My wife sent her appeal up in May and just wanted to get a feel about how long this may take. Thank you.

Hey did you ever receive a response from SAFPC? My wife sent her appeal up in May and just wanted to get a feel about how long this may take. Thank you.
Nothing yet. I appealed to SAFPC in March and was told not to expect anything earlier than Sep.

Any news on your LAS application?
We still haven't submitted the LAS application since we haven't heard the appeal verdict from SAF. If they up hold the appeal and I don't get a RTD, then we file the 1-time VARR and then the LAS. As of last week my attorney said the RTD rates from SAF were pretty low, but the LAS approval rates had gone up for folks with 18-19 yrs that have Command support which we have. 18 yrs 11 months this week so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I am currently on LAS now, and going thru my final MEB. That is weird that your attorney is saying that. I spoke to mine last week (at Randolph) and he said they still haven't seen another LAS approval since mine (Nov 2016). Hopefully, he doesnt know what he's talking about.

Good luck on your application, should you need it. The way its looking you may be retired before the SAF gets back to you!

Well I finally got some good news yesterday. After a year and a half of going through a MEB, loosing my return to duty appeal at the Informal Board, Formal Board, SAFPC, My Limited Assignment Status application was approved at 19 yrs, 3 months. I've been sweating this forever because anything less than 20 yrs, I was only going to get my 70% VA and not my 50% base pay traditional retirement. Now I'll make it to 20 yrs and take both. Today is a great day! I hope others in the same boat receive just as good of news as I did.

Well I finally got some good news yesterday. After a year and a half of going through a MEB, loosing my return to duty appeal at the Informal Board, Formal Board, SAFPC, My Limited Assignment Status application was approved at 19 yrs, 3 months. I've been sweating this forever because anything less than 20 yrs, I was only going to get my 70% VA and not my 50% base pay traditional retirement. Now I'll make it to 20 yrs and take both. Today is a great day! I hope others in the same boat receive just as good of news as I did.
First, Congrats, glad to see your LAS did get approved. It makes me hopeful. I'm fairly new to this forum and I am in a similar position and praying I'll get to my 20 if I'm denied RTD. I was shocked to know rate is less than 5% for AF.

I do have a couple questions if you're okay with sharing. When you got a response from LAS application did it give you a certain timeframe and a projected retirement date? Was your AF disability rating under 50%? Also, once the VA rating is approved you don't have to go through exams and a new rating since you're being allowed to remain on Active Duty right? If you don't mind me asking did your commander recommend you for retention on the initial Commanders Impact Statement? Or did he have to specifically write something to go up with the LAS request?

First, Congrats, glad to see your LAS did get approved. It makes me hopeful. I'm fairly new to this forum and I am in a similar position and praying I'll get to my 20 if I'm denied RTD. I was shocked to know rate is less than 5% for AF.

I do have a couple questions if you're okay with sharing. When you got a response from LAS application did it give you a certain timeframe and a projected retirement date? Was your AF disability rating under 50%? Also, once the VA rating is approved you don't have to go through exams and a new rating since you're being allowed to remain on Active Duty right? If you don't mind me asking did your commander recommend you for retention on the initial Commanders Impact Statement? Or did he have to specifically write something to go up with the LAS request?
With the notification of LAS approval I received a letter from AFPC stating that I'm entitled to a disability retirement and that a retirement order with an effective date will be generated, and a few days after that, MPS cut my retirement orders. My ratings were DoD 50% and VA 70%. The MSC on base said that since my LAS was approved that the VA rating was now null and void and that we'll have to file our claims again but cant do that within 180 days of my DOS. Jun 1st will be the earliest we can file those claims. He said usually not much really changes with filing the 2nd round. On my initial commanders recommendation letter, there was strong recommendation for retention and I also had very strong command support from 3 Colonels, 4 Lt Colonels, and 3 CMSgt's.

Did anything change when you filed your claims? Did you have to start all the way over from the beginning or did they use some of the previously submitted info. I currently have 60% AF /100% VA with 18 years 10 months in service. I just sent an appeal to FPEB 12 Jul 19. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to submit an LAS application because I don't want to risk VA changing my rating or have to wait for them to re-accomplish everything. I am wondering if applying for CRSC would be a better option. If it takes the SAF appeal 12 months then I will be good to go without filing for LAS.

It turned out I never had to re-file the claims or go back through the exams a 2nd time and nothing changed. That's a tough one to answer. Do you have legal representation such as the OAC? Mr. Hasberry at the OAC is a wizard with these situations. My .02 says that since you just appealed to FPEB on 12 July, and with 18yrs/10 mo, even if you don't get a return to duty, if you appeal at SAFPC, you would be pretty safe to get to 20yrs and take CRDP. I'm pretty certain you cant apply for LAS until you've exhausted appeals at every level to include SAFPC.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but wish you luck!

It turned out I never had to re-file the claims or go back through the exams a 2nd time and nothing changed. That's a tough one to answer. Do you have legal representation such as the OAC? Mr. Hasberry at the OAC is a wizard with these situations. My .02 says that since you just appealed to FPEB on 12 July, and with 18yrs/10 mo, even if you don't get a return to duty, if you appeal at SAFPC, you would be pretty safe to get to 20yrs and take CRDP. I'm pretty certain you cant apply for LAS until you've exhausted appeals at every level to include SAFPC.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but wish you luck!
Hello,

Yes (CRDP) considering, 'I currently have 60% AF /100% VA with 18 years 10 months in service" IF MARKS makes it to 20 years AD (as you said).

From DFAS:

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…
  • you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
Ron