script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

LOC from Commander - what can I do?

rickman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Well, our Reserve unit is starting to crack down on Fitness Assessment failures. I have a profile for my back and can do waist measurement only. I received an LOC on Sunday (nice Christmas present from the commander) for failing my fitness assessment.

The reasoning for my counseling is my failure affects mission readiness by not being able to attend schools, TDYs, annual tours and promotion eligibility. I am being entered into an MEB and my profile says I cannot go TDY away from home station for any reason. I cannot be promoted because I do not have retainability.

So how is failing a fitness assessment affecting mission readiness? I will point this out in my rebuttal and just need to know if there is any other recourse to negate this action.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Maybe IG complaint- however, it may not be worth spending a lot of energy fighting. The LOC can't hurt your disability case (on the other hand, down the road, you may want the commander or supervisors to write a letter and fighting this may tend to make them unhelpful). Hard to say what to do. I think it makes sense to rebut the LOC. But, I am not sure that the stakes are high enough to go all out.

Strikes me as crappy leadership, though. Sorry to hear you received a LOC. I know that it can be pretty infuriating.

rickman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Not too worried about taking action now. But if I continue to fail (and I am making progress - lost 1.5 inches between taping and now at 38.5) and a UIF is initiated, I will go up the chain. An LOC is an administrative tool, but a UIF can end a career if I the PEB finds me fit (but I know this will not happen).

Yes I do know the argument is there that I should not have been there in the first place. Two issues though:

1. When out unit was taping us, they were measuring snug so it was never an issue.
2. When standards changed in January 2011 and with a civilian monitoring FA's now, the standards became stricter.

I was passing my FA before my back acted up in late 2009, but since then I have had 6 failures (two with no profile and 4 with profile). I think the commander is being fair (so far) about this and starting everyone off on the same foot. There are several dozen in our unit that have failed assessments so she has to be careful how she proceeds for obvious reasons. However there is only a handful of us on very restrictive profiles and only four members undergoing MEB.

Crys1455

PEB Forum Regular Member
I have a couple suggestions;

First, can you discuss with your Doctor and see if he can remove even the waist measurement? I know they generally give us a hard time for this, but if we can't do any cardio it's very very hard to keep our waistline in shape by diet alone?!

If you don't want to ask or do and the Doc says No like most, I always do an all juice cleanse two weeks before my measurements. Im no Doctor but it always helps me feel energized, less inflammation/pain and it takes 2-3 inches of bloating/water retention off my waist. I have an awesome juicer and the fruits/vegetable juice recipes online are actually pretty tasty!

Overall, I see why your CC has to write you up just like everyone else, eventhough the reasoning sounds WAY off! But maybe some alternative avenues of approach might help, you are going to want her on your side for the CC Letter for your MEB! Most importantly no matter what course you take, document EVERYTHING on a MFR, it usually comes in handy later on in these types of cases! Good Luck!

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
On the juice thing, don't buy the store stuff because they are high in calories. Get a juice machine and do it yourself. I can believe I'm giving any input because of the last time I tried to help, but I did what a Maj at the HAWK told me to do and it worked great with no exercising except some walking on a elipical trainer (not much or fast). I ate a lot of salads and fruits (avoid sugars), as much as you want and drink only water. I did visit McDonalds for an occassional big mac so I violated it somewhat or about a 1/3 of the time. I lost 5 1/2 inches in like 90 days. Although it doesn't matter anymore for me; I plan on doing it again because stress and meds tend to make you want to eat and I'm getting fat again.

I tried to get the waist measurement on my prfile bacause the reg did change and it doesn't specify abdominal surgery anymore but the CC would not accept it. I'm sure you know as well they could always get you because you don't look well in your uniform which I did tell my CC. You really don't want to lose your strips because of this when it can be beaten.

Chinook

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Don't forget the power of the swimming pool. Just walking in warm water. You do burn calories (not enough to eat desserts or Big Mac's (jk Jeep Freak)) and you have resistance so you're not completely turning into jello. And today..I'm SO excited....I just tried the something G...Anti Gravity Treadmill at Phys Therapy and it felt great & I feel great!!! I have only said that a few times in the past 4 years!!!!! Look it up on-line..a ton of Phys Therapy places have them as well as military places-like Walter Reed. At first it took some getting used to- but then it was a great walk (I've been worried cause I can't do anything fast or hard enough to get up cardio either)...and a great little workout! You feel VERY heavy afterwards, but you adjust. You can actually go in and do only that at some phys therapy places-so I urge you to look into it...(I have bad back L1-S1, lesion on hip, and Sacroiliac Dysfunction-its always painful to move). Its just another way besides the water to try and get some movement in! Good Luck and I hope you all feel better and get relief!

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I wouldn't encourage any part of the fast food thing either and would have done a lot better in my will power would have been stronger. I was just happy that it worked and I wasn't feeling like I was starving like the times before.

I really need to learn how to cook or at least boil water.

Chinook

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
haha, you make me laugh Jeep Freak..I hope you know I was only giving you a hard time! A treat here and there is ok and necessary for all of us! Its only been the past two years that I've seriously been "cooking" for myself again. I just grab little things and go..but, I'm a girl and I can kind-of live off the salad with chicken thing & cheese sticks...I get that guys need REAL FOOD! The first thing my family does when they visit me is to look in my refridge and cabinets-and give me a hard time because there is only basics in there.They think I'm starving-but I'm not. I'm huge into whole wheat pasta and sauce (so far in a jar-now that I have more energy I want to make homemade!) with a little chicken. ...for breakfast I live off of yogurt and oatmeal. I eat fruit in between. Oh yea, and I'm great at throwing everything in a pot with chicken breasts-and thats my chicken noodle soup. I keep it SIMPLE & healthy.
And btw, its tough to have will power when you're going through SO much! I come from a family that all put weight on easily & they are big-so, thats my motivation to stay away and to drive right by drive-thru's. My brother at his biggest was 450lbs at 6ft 4". He's now 260 and way fit! One day at a time-and the more you eat healthy good tasting food-the more you will want that over the other stuff anyway. ( :

Sorry I don't have any advice on your LOC rickman-I didn't mean to go way off course on your post. Thinking of you though! Hope it all gets resolved quickly!

rickman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Thanks to all for the advice! I only have 1 more inch to lose (two just to be safe). I have a hard time with the fast food urge myself. But I have cut back on my intake quite a bit. The biggest thing that is helping is not drinking beer anymore. Now that I started taking pain meds, I don't have to drink 3-4 beers a night to kill the pain. I have to remeasure in February and if I don't make more progress after January, I will probably try the juicer and go on a fruit and vegetable diet and kick up my walking. I will also have to maintain while I am in the IDES.

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I realized you were joking but as I read what I stated I thought I better clarify just a little more.

I'm telling everybody here at work that my goal in life is to be 350lbs, long hair and beard, speado wearing, and flip flops year round. Sorry, probably should have posted a parental warning or something first. Got to have fun but I've got to lose this weight again for myself because I'm going to have to by new jeans otherwise.

rickman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Jeep Freak - I have had a military haircut for 27+ years now. I tease my family that when I retire I will grow my hair long like I had it when I was in high school. However it's gotten a little thin in the back but maybe when it grows long, that spot will be covered up - LOL

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
This is really bad! My son, 7yrs old, told his eye doctor that he could take the hair from his back and put it on his head. The doctor started it by making comments about taking the sons hair for his head. For me, so far so good. Blond and gray and still all there for now and I have had short hair all my life.

Chinook

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
You're right jeep freak-we have to laugh or we'd go crazy thru all this!!! And, what a riot about your son...sounds like he's sharp though! And honestly guys-I'm sure I've lost hair and turned more gray in this entire process! More wrinkles too. But, I think I'm really close to closure. I went to TX two weeks ago for my 2nd TDRL. The first two years of my injury-I was a wreck...always hurt and I was always worried. Then I had to go to my first TDRL review & all I did was cry through the entire thing...and I had a binder 3 inches thick that "they" NO one looked thru. It didn't seem to even matter...and-I hadn't gotten better...so, I was kept on tdrl. haha. Well, this time-2 weeks ago when I went back to TX -I knew where things were at and I told the docs where things were at-for me.I did everything that was required & more...the records on their end showed the same. Oh-and I took NO binder with me-just one C.D. And, I only cried thru one exam. LOL Now I await the "verdict"....I have hopes to keep the rest of my hair and stave off what gray I can!