LOD question

dasher1962

Registered Member
First off I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read my question. Please forgive me if I ask a question that that has been answered previously.
I have 24 years in the ANG and eight years in the USAFR
I am in the Air Force Reserve and am rated 70% for PTSD and 30% for migraines. Along with that I was given P&T plus IU from the VA.

As for my question. My USAFR unit says that since my condition was from my deployment to Afghanistan in 2005 when I was still in the Guard that I will not be receiving an LOD for my time there. Since the USAFR did not cause my PTSD. I was also told that it would go the MEB to determine my fitness for duty. This does not sound right to me. It should not matter what branch I was in at the time.
Thank you for taking the time on this.

First off I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read my question. Please forgive me if I ask a question that that has been answered previously.
I have 24 years in the ANG and eight years in the USAFR
I am in the Air Force Reserve and am rated 70% for PTSD and 30% for migraines. Along with that I was given P&T plus IU from the VA.

As for my question. My USAFR unit says that since my condition was from my deployment to Afghanistan in 2005 when I was still in the Guard that I will not be receiving an LOD for my time there. Since the USAFR did not cause my PTSD. I was also told that it would go the MEB to determine my fitness for duty. This does not sound right to me. It should not matter what branch I was in at the time.
Thank you for taking the time on this.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, albeit, I shall defer to @Jason Perry and/or @mapaker and/or other PEB Forum members with specific sound insightful feedback in reference to your particular inquiry. Take care, get well, and enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

It is BS. If a condition from a previous tour is impairing duty performance, you are required to go through a duty related DES process. The bad news is that the ANG and AF reserves have been doing this to cheat wounded warriors out of benefits for some time. See DoDI 1332.18. Be prepared for a fight.

Mike

I don't understand why you would need a LOD. The VA basically conducted one when they gave you service connection, the determined it happened in the Line of Duty. The military would only conduct one if they wanted to refute the VA's conclusion.

Service connected and in the line of duty are related, but different, concepts. A condition that is in the line of duty would always be service connected. Not all service connected conditions are "in the line of duty." (Especially with secondary connected conditions, or certain presumptively service connected conditions).

Thanks for the info

Indeed, you are welcome! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!