LODs and VA decision letters.

AirForceSoldier

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Question for all/any that may know. Can a VA decision letter influence the outcome of an LOD investigation(for the same disability) and how?

Im a reservist with 15 good years. I was placed on a code 37 profile for PTSD Jan 2017. MEB was put on hold until LODI was conducted which is currently at its one year anniversary in March. I've been service connected since 2014 @ 30% initially. I am currently @ 100% since Dec 2016. This should be an open shut LODI. My code 37 profile had to be renewed the beginning of this year because of the LODI was still ongoing. And with the new Retention DODI being implemented, I fear the outcome of my LOD investigation. I have heard that VA decision letters are very influential in the LOD process.

I think if my LOD took over a year, I'd do a Congressional.

Great idea to work the chain first. Most Congressman require that for routine matters.

Hi , Sorry about the LOD situation, many or most RC soldiers understand your frustration regarding the wait times for LOD’s. This is a long response.....so bear with me.
Sadly for NG soldiers, thier States, and NGB do not follow the LOD regulations in place, or process LOD’s in a timely manner. I turn your attention to an NBC 2016 investigation ( can be found on this web site). The investigation was completed by an NBC affiliate out of the San Francisco Bay area. The piece pertained to CA-ARNG soldiers wait the times for LOD’s. Some soldier had wait times as long as six yrs. The LOD system is archaic, broken, probably never worked, and should go away now that were an all Operational Force. Anyway, despite the clearly written regs on the subject/process, the leadership and individuals responsible are not being held accountable and experience no repercussions when they fail to ensure LOD’s are completed correctly and in a timely manner. Until held accountable for these failures, the conundrum continues...Unless your Congressman, or Senator, has some teeth, little to nothing will happen when you send them a letter and NGB or your State will send to them with some canned response/answer.
Instead, send a one page letter to the Armed Forces Services Commitee ( cc your Senator and Congressman), site the LOD regs,address your wait time, losses/hardship you & your family have experienced due to the lack of a timely,approved LOD.
Site the NBC investigation, attach a copy of LOD regulations...send fedx or certified USPS. You can also CC your State and NGB on that letter!

AirforceSoldier,
I went through the process as a reservist. Some units drag their feet, simply because they really don't know how the LOD process works. I had to do the leg work on getting my LOD approved by my Health Readiness Coordinator/Surgeon's office. These are the documents that were requested by.
Per our conversation, these are the documents needed:

- DA 2173 (Items 1-5 completed) and Item #10
- Statement with details of the incident
- DD 214
- VA treatment notes
- any document relevant to this condition.
It took about 3 weeks to get my 2173 back. After that the commander has to fill out his/her part. Once that is done the commander loads it into the LOD system. I cannot think of the name off the top of my head. The system send it to the approving authority. Which takes about 90 day to complete. Once approved the MEB process starts.
I hope that I made some since in explaining it too you.

How about, I received an LOD and it was approved by the investigating officer and the command. Three years later, I find out that it went up to NGB and someone stamped it "NOT" in the line of duty. This is on my MEB packet. Not only that, they saw and recognized that the injury was definitely in the line of duty because of medical records. How in the world do you go about getting an LOD fixed, since someone just going through stamping paperwork mis-labeled it? I never even saw the letter they sent until I started the MEB process and was forwarded all of my medical records.

You might have to file a IG complaint.
Thanks for the response. I may inquire about that with our local JAG members at the unit. I was really ticked off about that. Not to mention, the government has paid for all my treatment, so what does that tell you? Lol. I'll tell you, it's been an experience with this whole MEB process.

Do inquire about it. This is your livelihood we are talking about. The Meb process can be grueling at times.