Looking for a list of presumptive conditions for CRSC

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I applied for and was denied CRSC for condition X, but approved for IBS even though I did not apply for consideration of IBS. It is presumptive. I would like to find a list of CRSC presumptive conditions. Anybody have a list?

Here is some language that may be helpful in the search: (I added links to each of the codes)

With respect to VA awards of service-connection based on presumptive conditions under the provisions of sections 1112(b)-(c), 1116, 1117, and 1118 of title 38, United States Code, and of 38 CFR 3.316, CRSC determinations will presume such disability to also be combat-related if the VA Initial Rating Form (or other substantiating documentary information) indicates that the VA rating for the disability is based on such presumption. Thus, disabilities rated by the VA on the basis of POW status, exposure to radiation, mustard gas or lewisite, Agent Orange, and those disabilities associated with Persian Gulf service that are presumed by the VA to be service-connected shall be presumed by the Military Department to be combat-related absent documentary information that the disability was incurred under circumstances that were not combat-related.

With respect to VA awards of service-connection for presumptive conditions under section 1112(a) of title 38, United States Code, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD - VASRD Code 9411), the Military Department must independently determine the relationship between that disability and the qualifying criteria.

Last edited:
Here is a comprehensive list:

The disability must be one or more of the following:

• Undiagnosed illnesses. These are illnesses that may include but are not limited to: abnormal weight loss, fatigue, cardiovascular disease, muscle and joint pain, headache, menstrual disorders, neurological and psychological problems, skin conditions, respiratory disorders, and sleep disturbances.
  • Diagnosable functional gastrointestinal disorders. Functional gastrointestinal disorders are a group of conditions characterized by chronic or recurrent symptoms that are unexplained. These disorders may include but are not limited to irritable bowel syndrome, functional dyspesia, functional vomiting, functional constipation, functional bloating, functional abdominal pain syndrome, and functional dysphagia.
  • Diagnosable Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Diagnosable Fibromyalgia

• Certain presumptive diseases, which will be considered to have been incurred in or aggravated by service even if there is no evidence of such disease during active service. With three exceptions (see asterisks), one of the following must have become manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more within 1 year of the date of separation from a qualifying period of active service:
  • Burcellosis
  • Campylobacter jejuni
  • Coxiella burnetii (Q fever)
  • Malaria* (if not 10 percent or more within one year of separation, may be 10 percent or more at a time when standard or accepted treatises indicate that the incubation period commenced during qualifying period of service)
  • Mycobacterium tuberculosis* (no time limit)
  • Nontyphoid Salmonella
  • Shigella
  • Visceral leishmaniasis* (no time limit)
  • West Nile Virus

Can one infer a nexus between PTSD and Tinnitus being around loud explosions from taking enemy fire?

@gsfowler
Thanks for the references. MDG

I applied for and was denied CRSC for condition X, but approved for IBS even though I did not apply for consideration of IBS. It is presumptive. I would like to find a list of CRSC presumptive conditions. Anybody have a list?

Hey Chaplain.

Do you have any useful documentation from the USAF on what made them presume combat related for IBS? IBS was my referred condition, and I didn't think twice when all documents (up to and including retirement orders) said disability not a result of combat. I don't know about gulf war syndrome, but I did catch TB in Iraq, and it very well may be the cause of my rapid IBS onset after that first deployment. The list of organs potentially affected by TB infection is long and disturbing I've found out...

I'm still gathering documentation before applying for CRSC for other (non-referred but rated) conditions. I'm taking it slow, hoping for a 1 and done.

@USAF90210

IBS is presumptive for CRSC. ARPC has a website on CRSC. The forms and the address for the package are on the website. It should be a one and done. BTW, my IBS was not marked as combat related either. It is not necessary! Best wishes.

Although this is an old thread, the following is posted at the request of of a new member.

VA Fact Sheet, Presumptive Disability Benefits

LINK to VA Fact Sheet <----

Ron