Looking to initiate an MEB due to depression and backpain

lowkey

Registered Member
Hi all, I'm new here but I think this is where I post this.

I've been on profile 4 times for my back. I had an MRI two years ago that identified bulging discs and disc degeneration. I took a full PFA last year after taking three in a row with partial or full exemptions. I've been off profile for about 8 months now and I want to get back on on one. Additionally I've been suffering from chronic achilles pain in both ankles but I've yet to see a doctor about it. So I'm going to make an appointment to bring up both. Doing the full PFA sparked up my back issues and to this point I still can't run for any significant distance without severe back pain. Doing sit ups and running always triggers lasting back pain for me. I've been in physical therapy twice for it.

From the mental side: I was diagnosed with ADHD and given medication with my psych about 7 months ago. I've been telling him it's been working but really it hasn't been. I'm still having a really hard time being engaged at work and getting stuff done. i still forget a lot of stuff.

I've been suffering from mood swings and overall feelings of detachment and anxiety stemming from being miserable in my new work role and my situation in general. I withdraw from many social situations and relationships when I get into these really down moods. The inconsistency has been damaging my friendships. I've had difficulty sleeping due to this and was prescribed something to help me sleep last month but last night I was still awake 2 hours later--it doesn't work that well. I mentioned to my psych that I had a two week bout of serious sadness that was kind of ununsual for me about three months ago and he told me to keep an eye on it. I feel it coming on again and I just want out. I'm feeling anxious, depressed, can't sleep, and if it's not from my anxiety its my back keeping me awake.

I was thinking about just talking to my psych and asking him to initiate an MEB. This just isn't going to work for me much longer.

Thoughts?

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I think you need to be more clear with your doctor. If a treatment plan/medication is not working the doctor needs to know that at your next appointment. There are many choices of medications and perhaps another combination will be more helpful to you. When a patient withholds feedback they contribute to their own illness in a negative way. Good medicine is a collaboration.

Hope you talk to your doc soon. Best wishes. Mike

lowkey

Registered Member
Thanks Mike.
I will be speaking more with them. I don't wish to take more medicine. It's just the nature of the job and the environment that is causing the issues. I can't keep going like this.
The treatment is working to an extent but there are other factors that are making matters worse than more medicine isn't the answer to.

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Stress occurs in many occupations; both military and civilian. Talk to your doc about your reticence to take medication as well as the lack of help from the current medication. There are classes and therapy that can help people see the situation differently, adjust their attitude &/or change their behavior.

Warmest regards,
Mike

Andy22

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Not sure if there’s a new development here, but I’m gearing up for a med board for back issues and depression. The disc bulging itself isn’t too uncommon in the Army, it took two discectomies on the same disc and significant disc height reduction before my PCM mentioned a possible med board. Of course, depression soon followed after the initial injury occurred an airborne jump, I really didn’t plan on being hurt this year, hell I was in pre-ranger when it happened. Now, 13 years in, I might be going home early.

I’m not sure what you’re asking for. If it’s for someone on this forum to tell you to get a med board, you might be in the wrong place because that’s between you and your doc. Don’t be afraid to mention the words “med board.” There are plenty of resources on here to help you along. I recommend soaking up as much as you can if your doc decides to refer your case to a MEB.

I’m by no means a pro at any of this, but I’ll give you what information I have if I have it.

Cheers

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">