Marine Reservist needs some advice

DevilDogDrew

Registered Member
Hi all,

I've been in the Marine Reserves for over two years. Last August, I was put on TMPQ for Migraine headaches. I get the headaches 2-3 times a week, and I can't see anything for about 30 mins, and when my vision returns, I get a splitting migraine for 10-20 hours afterwards which leaves me sensitive to light and sound. I have documentation from my family physician and neurologist that I am unfit for duty. I was wondering what everyone thought my chances were for being discharged and if there is anything that I can do to better my chances of a medical discharge?

Also, about how long does it take for the medical board to make a decision on said discharge?

Thank you for your time!

DevilDogDrew,

Welcome! It sounds like if you are eligible, you should be found unfit and likely retired. My only concern is whether or not your condition was incurred while on orders or if don't have more than eight years of total active federal service, you may not be eligible for PEB processing. Can you give more details? What was your duty status when diagnosed and how many years do you have?

Thank you for your reply. I have been in for over two years with a six by two contract. These migraines started to occur while serving in the reserves, but not on deployment. My unit BAS put me on full TMPQ, and I have been on TMPQ for the last seven months. If I am not eligible for the PEB, then what am I eligible for and what steps should I be taking to maximize my position?

Thanks again.

The answer depends on how they process your case. If they are sending you to an MEB, that process will result in some recommendations as to whether your condition was pre-existing or not related to military service. There is not much you can do at this point, though if you are currently on orders, it is very arguable that that duty status supports PEB processing/eligibility.

It is hard to know more until they make some administrative determinations. I would not worry too much now, I just raised the point as a potential issue. Hopefully, they just process you normally.