max amount of leave?

james7607

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Im currently waiting on ratings and had a few questions on leave. My 1sg and orderly informed me the max amount of leave days our brigade commander can sign off on is 60 days to include 20 ptdy. Is this true? I will have close to 80+ days including ptdy and was told I will have to sell some back or take leave now. What is the max amount each command level can authorize? im informed company 30 and below, battalion 45 and below and brigade 60 and below.

Im currently waiting on ratings and had a few questions on leave. My 1sg and orderly informed me the max amount of leave days our brigade commander can sign off on is 60 days to include 20 ptdy. Is this true? I will have close to 80+ days including ptdy and was told I will have to sell some back or take leave now. What is the max amount each command level can authorize? im informed company 30 and below, battalion 45 and below and brigade 60 and below.
No, that is not true. You can take as many days as you have, up until your no later than date (NLTD) given to you by the USAPDA. The 90 day countdown begins once you hit TRANSPROC.

It is up to the Commander whether or not they will grant you permissive TDY. Any and all days in excess to your NLTD will be sold back.

In my own personal case, I had 81 days of leave on the books, plus an additional 24 days of PDMRA. When I went to out process, used my 24 days of PDMRA, 7 days of regular leave and sold back 74 days of leave.

If you want to make sure you use all of your leave, you must request not to have your file sent up to the USAPDA to your PEBLO and take leave.

Once the USAPDA signs of on the packet, the 90 day countdown begins and there is no stopping it.

while going through the IDES process are you allowed to take leave? or is there strict guidlines on how much you can take? I have heard differant things.

while going through the IDES process are you allowed to take leave? or is there strict guidlines on how much you can take? I have heard differant things.
Leave is highly encouraged. You just need to request it. Cannot miss medical appointments and must still make weekly contact with your nurse case manager (if you have one).

So with that being said, you cant take any more than 1 week of leave at a time? I was trying to take a full thirty days upon arrival. Thanks!

So with that being said, you cant take any more than 1 week of leave at a time? I was trying to take a full thirty days upon arrival. Thanks!
I had no issues taking a full 30 days while in the CB-WTU. Your commander has the call on what he/she will approve.

For me all it took was a DA4856 with my platoon sergeant acknowledging that I would not miss any appointments.

I was able to travel freely, I provided itineraries to my Plt Sgt.

well thats good to know. I just hope the navy has the same policy. Thank you for the speedy responce!

I was told you are not allowed to leave the area of where your command is so you dont miss appointments and if something happens medically to you . but yes you can take leave just not out of area .

In the first 60 or 90 days of the process is when they don't want you to leave the area.

In the first 60 or 90 days of the process is when they don't want you to leave the area.

When I was going through the IDES process, I was attached to an Army CB-WTU.

I was able to freely get 7 days at a time without question. I just needed to:

1. Do the DA Form correctly

2. Stay within 200 mile radius from my HOR (this is NOT a requirement/this can be waived, but I discovered my Platoon Sergeant "eagle-eyed" the long leaves/long distance leaves - not so much the short ones). But I did take a 14-day, cross-country leave shortly before I got my VA C&P appointments.

3. Not cancel/postpone any med/psych appointments

When it became later in my IDES process (like when the VA sent my ratings back to the Army), long-term/long-distance leave was highly discouraged.

So I would think that if you need to burn up leave, it's better to burn some leave now rather than later. I ended up having to sell back 59.5 days of leave. But it was a nice chunk of change that came in handy during that first couple months post-discharge and before the VA compensation came through.

I never heard from my PLT SGT when I was on leave. But I did get a call or two from my NCM (Nurse Case Manager) on a couple of leave periods. No big thing - she just had to write something down in my ALHTA records (her Patient Care nursing notes).

Oh. About that 200-mile radius thing. When I was in, it was WTU Policy that permission was to be granted before you exceeded the 200-mile radial boundary. It had something to do with liability. I was told (everyone got told) that CoC had to know if you were going to exceed 200-mile radius. Failure to inform, get permission in advance, and if you decided to go beyond the 200-mile & then got sick, had a car wreck, whatever-bad-thing, and you were outside the radius without formal permission, it was a UCMJ issue, AND you could be held liable for ALL the hospital bills from car wreck, sickness, etc., if issues occurred outside this 200-mile radius without prior approval. This prior approval policy included non-leave, 3-day holiday periods, too, even where leave was not required. So I made it a point to let them know anytime I was going to exceed the 200-mile radius because I didn't want UCMJ, nor did I ever want to get stuck with the medical bills if something did happen to me.

So wherever you end up, be sure you know what their current policy is on this, know your mileage limits, and know your time frames needed for advance notice/approval.

And send us a postcard!

V/R,
nwlivewire

When I was going through the IDES process, I was attached to an Army CB-WTU.

I was able to freely get 7 days at a time without question. I just needed to:

1. Do the DA Form correctly

2. Stay within 200 mile radius from my HOR (this is NOT a requirement/this can be waived, but I discovered my Platoon Sergeant "eagle-eyed" the long leaves/long distance leaves - not so much the short ones). But I did take a 14-day, cross-country leave shortly before I got my VA C&P appointments.

3. Not cancel/postpone any med/psych appointments

When it became later in my IDES process (like when the VA sent my ratings back to the Army), long-term/long-distance leave was highly discouraged.

So I would think that if you need to burn up leave, it's better to burn some leave now rather than later. I ended up having to sell back 59.5 days of leave. But it was a nice chunk of change that came in handy during that first couple months post-discharge and before the VA compensation came through.

I never heard from my PLT SGT when I was on leave. But I did get a call or two from my NCM (Nurse Case Manager) on a couple of leave periods. No big thing - she just had to write something down in my ALHTA records (her Patient Care nursing notes).

Oh. About that 200-mile radius thing. When I was in, it was WTU Policy that permission was to be granted before you exceeded the 200-mile radial boundary. It had something to do with liability. I was told (everyone got told) that CoC had to know if you were going to exceed 200-mile radius. Failure to inform, get permission in advance, and if you decided to go beyond the 200-mile & then got sick, had a car wreck, whatever-bad-thing, and you were outside the radius without formal permission, it was a UCMJ issue, AND you could be held liable for ALL the hospital bills from car wreck, sickness, etc., if issues occurred outside this 200-mile radius without prior approval. This prior approval policy included non-leave, 3-day holiday periods, too, even where leave was not required. So I made it a point to let them know anytime I was going to exceed the 200-mile radius because I didn't want UCMJ, nor did I ever want to get stuck with the medical bills if something did happen to me.

So wherever you end up, be sure you know what their current policy is on this, know your mileage limits, and know your time frames needed for advance notice/approval.

And send us a postcard!

V/R,
nwlivewire

Thank you for your responce. It sounds like the first 60 to 90 days are going to be packed with appointments and I wont even have time to sit down. Thats not a bad thing, at least everything will be in motion and it is all about completing the IDES process in a timely manner. Alright....looks like Leave may have to hang on the back burner for now. Thanks everyone!

after the MEB is complete and you get an unfit memo you will have all the time in the world for leave until your ratings get back.

after the MEB is complete and you get an unfit memo you will have all the time in the world for leave until your ratings get back.

roger that! From what I have viewed from other time lines that seems like the only time you would have ACTUAL down time. Waiting for the VA. Thanks James

This was a good window for me when I took longer leave, too. Right between the time when the VA gets your ratings package and before they return their findings back to the Army worked good for me, too.

I was able to NOT have any appointments for 3 weeks during a spot in this time period as my MH provider also went on vacation. When he went on vacation, I went on vacation, too.

Even though I sold back leave, it really worked out better for me in the end. I had sooooo much "down time", "do-nothing" time toward the end of my AD time, that the sale of my leave really helped me out during the first couple of months of my post-discharge period while I was waiting for the VA compensation to come through.

Just another something for you to plan for (post-discharge VA time wait for the compensation pay) and another option to use IF you need to do it this way.

V/R,
nwlivewire

yeah that looks like the same thing Im going to do instead of using all my leave ill sell it back right before i get out . since when you retire you are authorized 20 days of job hunting and house finding leave as well.

Sounds ab
This was a good window for me when I took longer leave, too. Right between the time when the VA gets your ratings package and before they return their findings back to the Army worked good for me, too.

I was able to NOT have any appointments for 3 weeks during a spot in this time period as my MH provider also went on vacation. When he went on vacation, I went on vacation, too.

Even though I sold back leave, it really worked out better for me in the end. I had sooooo much "down time", "do-nothing" time toward the end of my AD time, that the sale of my leave really helped me out during the first couple of months of my post-discharge period while I was waiting for the VA compensation to come through.

Just another something for you to plan for (post-discharge VA time wait for the compensation pay) and another option to use IF you need to do it this way.

V/R,
nwlivewire

sounds about right. I should be in San Diego in the next few months, so I decided to take some leave while I'm in Japan waiting for my orders. Now-a-days we have e-leave, if you take leave from a monday through Friday you get both weekends on either end without being charged. 5 days turns in 9! any how, thanks for the info guys! I just herd back from San Diego and they also confirmed this; no leave authorized unless you have no appointments and no long periods of leave until MEB is complete and sent to D.C. I can live with this, especially if I can still sneak in a week of leave from time to time during this whole ordeal I'll be fine.

My unit is telling me that at brigade level i can only take a total of 75 days of leave. Ill have 81 (61 days accrued + 20 ptdy) days and wanted to take all of it. What is the regulation stating this or that I can take more? Im awaitng formal board as we speak.

So, if I have already sold 60 days of leave in my career, can I sell back any leave I have remaining that will bring me beyond my 90 day date given to me by USAPDA ?