MEB and leave

CatLady

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My husband will be coded very soon for MEB. If things were different we would Pcsing in June. My question is can my husband take leave, so we can visit family in the states. We are currently medboarding in Germany. We're thinking leave to the states will not be allowed, but is there an AFI, he's Air Force that answers my question.

My husband will be coded very soon for MEB. If things were different we would Pcsing in June. My question is can my husband take leave, so we can visit family in the states. We are currently medboarding in Germany. We're thinking leave to the states will not be allowed, but is there an AFI, he's Air Force that answers my question.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Well, from my U.S. Army experiences via a CONUS perspective while in the DoD IDES process, military leave is normally "frowned" upon in the MEB phase due to the need to be available for the scheduling of DoVA C&P examinations, other MEB requirements, and the final dictation of the NARSUM.

To that extent, what does your PEBLO state about taking military ordinary leave at this point, or has your husband been assigned a PEBLO at this point?

Hmm, I am not familiar with any AFI mandate in reference to military leave during the DoD IDES process albeit other PEB Forum members may have additional information to offer. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Good morning CatLady!

I pulled the following from AFI 41-210:

4.53.4. Leave/TDY. Once the SM is notified by the PEBLO that an MEB has been directed, the SM will be required to be available for VA appointments, PEBLO counseling, and the MEB process. MTFs must develop local processes and procedures with unit commanders regarding the availability of SMs in the IDES to meet all appointments (e.g., requesting SMs not be placed on leave outside the local area or TDY, except for emergencies, notifying the PEBLO when a SM cannot make an appointment, etc).
4.53.4.1. Once the MEB package has been sent to the IPEB, the member may not take leave or go TDY without permission from AFPC/DPSD.

Of course, this really depends on where your husband is in the process. If the MEB has not yet been initiated, i.e. he has not been assigned a PEBLO, then there is still a chance that he can take leave.

Here are a few publications that your husband and you should familiarize yourselves with:
AFI 36-3003
AFI 48-123
DoDI 1332.38
AFI 10-203

Good luck!

The info Kim posted above is correct BUT depending on the PEBLO and leadership you may still be able to take leave if your appointments will not be impacted by your leave. I took leave from Japan back to the states while waiting for a response from the board.