MEB as a reservist

ruck1972

Registered Member
I have seen many threads about this process from active duty members. I am a reservist and had a hip injury in June 2014. In August 2015 my civilian ortho doc deemed it permanent as the injury and surgery combined caused other problems. Yesterday I received notification that I will be coded 37 on profile and be put on no pay no points. I will have 17 years this coming December. I am unsure if it is required that I have to go no pay no points even if I can still do some of my job on UTA weekends. Basically I can do all the office work, just not the physical labor stuff. Also, I know with a normal retirement as a reservist, we don't get a retirement until 60. Will I have to wait that long with a medical retirement?

Being a reservist and and not on active duty, you are often at a disadvantage when it comes to a MEB. Did your hip injury incur during the line of duty? Did you initiate a line of duty investigation at the time of the injury?

The Air Force may state that the condition did not occur in the line of duty, nor was it aggravated. This could possibly lead to discharge without any benefits.

It is important that you consult with a good MEB attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights.

Being a reservist and and not on active duty, you are often at a disadvantage when it comes to a MEB. Did your hip injury incur during the line of duty? Did you initiate a line of duty investigation at the time of the injury?

The Air Force may state that the condition did not occur in the line of duty, nor was it aggravated. This could possibly lead to discharge without any benefits.

It is important that you consult with a good MEB attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights.

It was an injury from a civilian job. It's been a struggle dealing with work comp. But not as much as a struggle as dealing with the med group people. And no high ranking individual I have asked about the process seems to no what needs to happen. I get the same answer from them all, "I have never dealt with it before" with no follow up. And how do I go about finding one?

Since your injury did not incur, nor was it aggravated by active duty service, your unit will conduct a MEB and you are likely to be discharged without benefits.

Since your injury did not incur, nor was it aggravated by active duty service, your unit will conduct a MEB and you are likely to be discharged without benefits.

Well, I hope not. I would hate to have wasted 17 years of my life for nothing

My superintendent just walked in and told me he was speaking to someone in MPF and brought up my current situation. He said she threw out a bunch of information that he couldn't remember, but did say she told him that I will qualify for retirement, but it still won't be until I am 60 due to the fact it wasn't a military duty related injury. But I will still be able to get VA benefits as soon as it's all settled. I have a meeting with her Monday to get more answers since she apparently is the guru on this for our reserve unit.