MEB AT 18.5 years

jjw

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Greetings, I'll keep this as short as possible. I have 18.5 years in army as an infantryman, I have had three joint surgeries knee, low back and shoulder and bicep. I also have been diagnosed with PTSD, I take pain meds and others for my PTSD. At this point a P3 is in my future as well as an MEB when higher sees the profile. I've been avoiding it but I can't do my job,my question is do I need to get to 20 years? Does it make a difference? Based on your experiences what am I looking at percentage wise? I realize it's hard to say just looking for opinions of the more experienced folks reading this. Thanks JJW

20 years makes a huge difference in virtually every situation. How much can vary. I would research CRDP and CRSC. CRDP can increase compensation in excess of $3k/month in some scenarios. 20 years also provides important protections for your retirement. There have been examples of those separated instead of retired at 19 yrs, 11 mns.

How to handle that profile can be a big determination how things go too. If you can do the 7 basic tasks they can write it as a P2, which won't auto trigger the MEB. As a 11B, the commander can attempt a reclass with a P2, but generally they don't, and its not automatic. If they do the P3 but you can do the 7 basic tasks that will cause a MAR2 process instead. If commander likes you its fairly easy for the MAR2 to say you can wait out the next 1.5 years. Its beyond common for 11Bs to reach this point at the 16-19 year marks. Its almost standard practice to hide them in a safe job if its a simple no PT profile. Training room, S3, brigade, division, they're like elephant graveyards.

If you can't do the 7 basic tasks, ensure they profile all the conditions, not just the knee or something. Profile is a huge factor in what becomes unfit and hence the DoD rating. There are things you can do to delay the MEB process once started to help reach the 20 years.

Ratings guesses are guesses, I recommend militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com for a easy guide to understanding ratings. You provided almost no information, so any guess is gonna be really bad. My guess is with 18 years as 11B you have a few other things to talk about for VA claim as well. Its important to claim everything with the VA, not just the problems bad enough that you went to sick call for. Even a 0% rating from the VA can be important down the road. Rough guess is 30% DoD as long as a shoulder or knees are unfit along with the back and maybe a 70% overall for VA for what you listed.

20 years makes a huge difference in virtually every situation. How much can vary. I would research CRDP and CRSC. CRDP can increase compensation in excess of $3k/month in some scenarios. 20 years also provides important protections for your retirement. There have been examples of those separated instead of retired at 19 yrs, 11 mns.

How to handle that profile can be a big determination how things go too. If you can do the 7 basic tasks they can write it as a P2, which won't auto trigger the MEB. As a 11B, the commander can attempt a reclass with a P2, but generally they don't, and its not automatic. If they do the P3 but you can do the 7 basic tasks that will cause a MAR2 process instead. If commander likes you its fairly easy for the MAR2 to say you can wait out the next 1.5 years. Its beyond common for 11Bs to reach this point at the 16-19 year marks. Its almost standard practice to hide them in a safe job if its a simple no PT profile. Training room, S3, brigade, division, they're like elephant graveyards.

If you can't do the 7 basic tasks, ensure they profile all the conditions, not just the knee or something. Profile is a huge factor in what becomes unfit and hence the DoD rating. There are things you can do to delay the MEB process once started to help reach the 20 years.

Ratings guesses are guesses, I recommend militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com for a easy guide to understanding ratings. You provided almost no information, so any guess is gonna be really bad. My guess is with 18 years as 11B you have a few other things to talk about for VA claim as well. Its important to claim everything with the VA, not just the problems bad enough that you went to sick call for. Even a 0% rating from the VA can be important down the road. Rough guess is 30% DoD as long as a shoulder or knees are unfit along with the back and maybe a 70% overall for VA for what you listed.

Scoutcc:

Is it also to this SMs "paperwork" advantage to make sure his enlistment contract carries him to a date that is beyond his 20-year mark?

If so, should he make sure his contract is good to go NOW - and BEFORE any of his profiles get changed to P2's or P3's?

Just looking to make that if there are any "placemarkers", that those are covered now (whatever they might be) - should those other issues of an IDES come up later....

nwlivewire

Once you reach 18 years in service you no longer have to meet retention standards to extend your contract to 20 years. So no, that shouldn't matter. Once you reach 18 years they can only prevent you from reaching 20 years with a specific authority granted by law, not just regulation (10 USC 1176). Fitness determination is covered by law, medical retention standards are set by regulation.

Still not a bad idea though. Most are already on an indefinite contract anyway, but it comes up every so often. You can piss off a commander telling him he has to allow an extension on a Soldier that just failed ht/wt and the APFT though.

First thanks for the replies, I can manipulate the time line as I am currently not on profile, as a matter of fact I'm currently deployed. It took almost six hours to get through the docs at SRP but I managed with some medication waivers and a lot of dirty looks. My actual doctor here (brigade surgeon) is aware that if I take the profile I will be forced to redeploy, he's willing to wait until next month when we are home. How does COAD work and at what point? Scout CC you are correct there are at least a dozen other injuries and problems I did not list as well. Some fairly serious just not on par with the ones I listed. I really appreciate the information and hope I can come back here as I go through this to get some answers from time to time.

Well Ill pipe in on this one brother, as a fellow infantryman taking the MEB was the best thing i could have ever done. As many years as you have IN CRSC Tax free plus VA isn't a bad option at all. I get SSDI CRSC and VA pay as much as i paid in pain both in body and in mind its not as much as it should be but its a hell of a lot more than I ever got in or I would have gotten paid when I retired. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Great to meet you no slack! I did the invasion with Bastonge 1/327 in 2003. Right now I worry about the process and falling short of 20 years by a matter of months. Any advice is welcome. Looks like you did well for your self as far as percentage goes. And I agree I would never trade my experiences but got a family and lots of broken down parts that are quickly catching up, just want to be able to provide for them. I look forward to hearing from you.

feel free to ask anything, I took my MEB at 17 years 1 month

Have some updates wanted to get some feedback from forum members to be sure I'm not missing anything. I am at 19 years and could retire with 20 at the end of September with leave and permissive TDY. I have been informed I will be moved to WTU since I likely need back surgery on my L5 and S1. I was given a risk matrix score of 133 and have chain of command support for the move. My concerns are making it to 20 years and how will the WTU benefit me, or will it? I've heard good and bad but nothing I'd hang my hat on. Ofcouse I have the above mentioned knee,back,shoulder and bicep surgery as well as chronic PTSD and arthritis, the list goes on and on. I look forward to any advice or warnings from my fellow veterans out there. If it matters my packet is making its way to the WTU board for review so my best guess with waiting on orders if approved would be March? But who knows for sure it's just a SWAG.

I too was sent to the WTU albeit at 18 years. For me the WTU was a blessing, as the process for evaluation and treatment went along quite slowly and it allowed me to get to and beyond the 20 year mark.

There are some politics involved with being in the WTU which are a little bit difficult for some. First of, you will be assigned a squad leader who will be a E-5 or E-6 and this is your first line of communication (quite often they may be a soldier who was sent by their unit to the WTU, which may or may not be a good thing), then you will have a platoon sergeant who is a E-6 or E-7. There are mandatory formations and quite a bit of briefings. It feels very micro managed.

For me I just kept my head down and my eye on the prize, which was 20 years. I have seen many soldiers thrive in the WTU, as well as many have quite a few difficulties.

I'll go over the benefits first...

1. You have a dedicated nurse case manager to guide your rehabilitation and treatment
  2. You have a dedicated behavioral health team
  3. You have access to many resources to assist in your transition (legal, finance, employment)
  4. Services are brought to you
  5. You have a independent ombudsman who is a great liaison
Here are some of the challenges...

1. The environment is very protected, you will feel as it you are being treated as an AIT soldier
  2. There are many soldiers who have illnesses, this often gets misinterpreted by senior NCO's
  3. There are at the minimum two formations for accountability per day, as well as many inspections
  4. There are many "town hall" type briefings which can bring out some challenges with soldiers with illnesses
  5. The process may not move at the pace that you wish it will
In your scenario, being sent to a WTU to get your surgeries and treatment is a very good situation in my opinion, it will separate you from your former unit/command, which will allow you to concentrate on yourself, there will be minimal distractions. It is almost a guarantee that you will hit your 20 year mark, as it will take 90 days minimum to be assessed and scheduled for surgery, the rehabilitation for the surgery is at least 12 months. If you are not granted surgery at first, you can continue on with conservative treatment for at least six months to get yourself over the 20 year mark.

Lots of good information thanks for the reply. I feel a bit better about my time line and situation now.

Follow up question as I just received my narsum today. If I retire medically and have 20 years, is retiring based on my time in service or a 30 year career? So if the DOD awards 70% as an E7 is that based on my 20 or 30 years. I only ask because several of my peers swear it's 30 years but I can't find a regulation.

Also if I medically retire at 20 do I have to repay the redux I took at 15 years? I read no but thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance...

Follow up question as I just received my narsum today. If I retire medically and have 20 years, is retiring based on my time in service or a 30 year career? So if the DOD awards 70% as an E7 is that based on my 20 or 30 years. I only ask because several of my peers swear it's 30 years but I can't find a regulation.

Also if I medically retire at 20 do I have to repay the redux I took at 15 years? I read no but thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance...

As far as the retirement pay is concerned you will get the greater of either your time in service x 2.5 x your retired pay base (20 years is 50%, up to 30 years which is 75%) or your disability percentage x your retired pay base.

Your retired pay base is the average of your top three years of pay you have earned.

Here is a post regarding REDUX http://www.pebforum.com/site/thread...etirement-post-20-year-mark.18658/#post-86808

Updates!
Thanks to all but I have one more question that I have received two different answers for today.
My ratings are 80% Army and 100% VA. I have 20 years of service, do I get 75% of my base pay and VA CHECK. Or do I get the 50% and VA? I have read and still can't come to a solid conclusion.

DFAS will pick what's most advantageous to you. In your case DFAS will choose concurrent receipt of your length of service retirement (50% top three, taxable) and you will also get your VA C&P (just over $3000).

You may be eligible to apply for CRSC after you are rated, but it may not become more financially beneficial to you (only saving would be tax)

Thanks I was pretty sure that was the case but wanted to be sure. This website has been a blessing since I was presented with being med boarded, thanks again.