MEB Convo with PCM

I am active duty Air Force and currently suffering from a severe bilateral radiculopathy for a few months now. I have been on profile from fitness assessments but I still expected to work(even with pain). My enlistment is coming up in May 2020 and I am apprehensive I might get kicked out without any benefits. (4yrs in service). I have had to receive three epidural injections which have all proved futile. The neurosurgeon thinks the surgery could only offer me a 30% relief which I declined. Is it appropriate to have a conversation with my PCM about MEB? Any advise?

Your ability to work will be the biggest concern. If you're in a physical AFSC, chances are that the pain will impede your ability to perform which will in turn drive the MEB eventually. Honestly, the ball is in your court. If you'd like to be finished with your USAF career, then press the topic. If you'd like to stay in and see how well you're able to cope, then ease up at least until you've re-enlisted. If you go at it with your PCM too soon, you'll be coded and NOT allowed to re-enlist or PCS. Waiting gives you more options and more time. Heck, you could even try cross-training if thats an option for you. Timing is everything though.

A wise man once told me "manage your Air Force career, or the Air Force will manage it for you".

Re: “A wise man once told me ‘manage your Air Force career, or the Air Force will manage it for you’.”

Excellent advice.

Four of my six tours overseas were voluntary (requested). By doing so, I avoided a couple of places I did not want to “visit”.

Ron

Your ability to work will be the biggest concern. If you're in a physical AFSC, chances are that the pain will impede your ability to perform which will in turn drive the MEB eventually. Honestly, the ball is in your court. If you'd like to be finished with your USAF career, then press the topic. If you'd like to stay in and see how well you're able to cope, then ease up at least until you've re-enlisted. If you go at it with your PCM too soon, you'll be coded and NOT allowed to re-enlist or PCS. Waiting gives you more options and more time. Heck, you could even try cross-training if thats an option for you. Timing is everything though.

A wise man once told me "manage your Air Force career, or the Air Force will manage it for you".
Thanks for your feedback. I honestly would want to get out and isn't planning on re-enlisting(may not even be eligible with all the medical issues I am encountering now). Will I just be kicked out for eligibility due to my medical condition when my re-enlistment is up? Can they rush me out before I can prolly opt to go through MEB to prevent me getting any benefits like medical retirement?

Re: “A wise man once told me ‘manage your Air Force career, or the Air Force will manage it for you’.”

Excellent advice.

Four of my six tours overseas were voluntary (requested). By doing so, I avoided a couple of places I did not want to “visit”.

Ron
Will having the convo with my PCM appear like am deliberately looking to get medically retired?

In my opinion, it is absolutely worth your time to talk to your PCM. Not all PCMs are created equally, but most want to know what you would like to happen. Describe to them the constant pain you are in an how it is affecting your ability to perform your military duties. If you bluntly tell them that you are struggling to perform your duties, it is "almost" incumbent to them to pursue looking into it further. Potential code 37 profile rating. Discuss during the weekly DAWG meeting and decide if your profile warrants a IRILO and potential MEB.

Take solace in knowing that even if you make it to the end of your enlistment and they don't let you re-enlist, the VA will take care of you. If your condition is service connected, they will rate you on that and should hopefully compensate you appropriately. You will also receive free VA healthcare for all claimed service connected conditions.

Unless your radiculopathy is really bad, I don't know if it will warrant a "permanent retirement" with tri-care for life. Your VA payment will be more than your potential retirement pension anyway so the only thing permanent retirement would get you is tri-care for life.

Bottom line - be honest with your PCM and take the chance. If you don't get the outcome you are hoping for, talk to your commander. Your PCM & Commander both hold the power to trigger an IRILO.

No one knows you better than you, at the Same time you are your best advocate.

Are your injuries effecting the unit mission? If your unit deployed tomorrow, would your injuries limit what you could do, and require other to pick up your slack? if the answers are yes I would have the conversation, but I would also talk to my leadership to let them know as well.

No one knows you better than you, at the Same time you are your best advocate.

Are your injuries effecting the unit mission? If your unit deployed tomorrow, would your injuries limit what you could do, and require other to pick up your slack? if the answers are yes I would have the conversation, but I would also talk to my leadership to let them know as well.
Thanks buddy. I have refused the surgical procedure recommended by the nuero so I had a feeling that may go against the idea of requesting MEB. I need spinal fusion and one to unpinge my nerves at the lumbar area.

Thanks for your feedback. I honestly would want to get out and isn't planning on re-enlisting(may not even be eligible with all the medical issues I am encountering now). Will I just be kicked out for eligibility due to my medical condition when my re-enlistment is up? Can they rush me out before I can prolly opt to go through MEB to prevent me getting any benefits like medical retirement?

You won't be "kicked out" if you decide to pursue the MEB discussion with your PCM. There is a process that "should" be followed, and looking at the timeline, you may potentially be placed on medical hold if said process extends beyond your ETS next May.

Take a look at what I've attached (its old) and pay close attention to the severence section. Unless you're awarded 30% or more for your issues, you'll be seperated with severance and not medically retired. But yes, the VA will still treat you for any/all claimed conditions that are considered service connected.

Attachments

• IDES Fact Sheet Feb 2015.pdf
    150.7 KB · Views: 9
You won't be "kicked out" if you decide to pursue the MEB discussion with your PCM. There is a process that "should" be followed, and looking at the timeline, you may potentially be placed on medical hold if said process extends beyond your ETS next May.

Take a look at what I've attached (its old) and pay close attention to the severence section. Unless you're awarded 30% or more for your issues, you'll be seperated with severance and not medically retired. But yes, the VA will still treat you for any/all claimed conditions that are considered service connected.
Very very helpful

I would talk to the PCM in a way that the MEB becomes his/her idea.

Thanks a lot Sir