MEB findings are back, need advice about possible extension due to new seizure condition.

killbrill

Registered Member
Hello. 11 years as a Reservist, was on a deployment and got hurt and landed in a WTU. I wanted to refrad but too many issues. I just got my MEB ratings back, DOD 70% and VA 100%. I had my transition plan all squared away, I was to return to my house and my civilian career and attend appts at closest VA.

I began the MEB process in April 2014 and began having seizures in August 2014, the most recent being 19 SEPT 2014 where I was alone and found by my roommate actively seizing on the floor with a large hematoma on my forehead and this little stint finally landed me on anticonvulsant medications, a diagnosis of seizures, and I cannot drive until I am 6 months seizure-free. The medications are being adjusted/titrated until the neuro here figures out the right dosage for me and that could take a while. If I leave here, there will not be a smooth continuity of care with the VA back home.

Here's where I am lost: I need to delay my separation. I am not capable of driving home, much less to VA appts or to the grocery store. I cannot work, I live alone and am afraid to be alone in case I have another seizure. I have asked my WTU cadre, Nurse Case Manager, and few providers for options and have been dismissed with "well, just go home and go to the VA" which means I am not being heard.

Is there a special extension I can apply for because of this hardship? Who should I speak to? My DA FORM 199 is due 08 OCT 2014, next Wednesday and I cannot even make an appt with JAG until FRI, and will probably get an appt for Monday or Tuesday. What can I do before then?

Also, should I appeal to have my seizure condition added to my MEB findings?

Hello. 11 years as a Reservist, was on a deployment and got hurt and landed in a WTU. I wanted to refrad but too many issues. I just got my MEB ratings back, DOD 70% and VA 100%. I had my transition plan all squared away, I was to return to my house and my civilian career and attend appts at closest VA.

I began the MEB process in April 2014 and began having seizures in August 2014, the most recent being 19 SEPT 2014 where I was alone and found by my roommate actively seizing on the floor with a large hematoma on my forehead and this little stint finally landed me on anticonvulsant medications, a diagnosis of seizures, and I cannot drive until I am 6 months seizure-free. The medications are being adjusted/titrated until the neuro here figures out the right dosage for me and that could take a while. If I leave here, there will not be a smooth continuity of care with the VA back home.

Here's where I am lost: I need to delay my separation. I am not capable of driving home, much less to VA appts or to the grocery store. I cannot work, I live alone and am afraid to be alone in case I have another seizure. I have asked my WTU cadre, Nurse Case Manager, and few providers for options and have been dismissed with "well, just go home and go to the VA" which means I am not being heard.

Is there a special extension I can apply for because of this hardship? Who should I speak to? My DA FORM 199 is due 08 OCT 2014, next Wednesday and I cannot even make an appt with JAG until FRI, and will probably get an appt for Monday or Tuesday. What can I do before then?

Also, should I appeal to have my seizure condition added to my MEB findings?

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Unfortunately, I can't provide any sound insightful feedback about the WTU (or its new name) albeit other PEB Forum members with specific experiences may be able to yield some feedback hopefully soon.

From my previous extended experiences within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, I would definitely suggest that you consider requesting a Formal PEB (FPEB) hearing to address the "unfit for duty" potential status referencing your seizure condition to include any other medical condition(s) which you feel is(are) "unfit for duty" as supportive by all available medical evidence and/or medical documentation at this point.

With that all said, please take care, continue to get well, and enjoy life! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I would appeal to get the condition added. I would argue that your NARSUM needs to be redone to evaluate the condition. I would be hesitant to go that route, since your ratings are already great and you don't really want them redone.

A doctor can direct that your ETS needs to be extended for medical treatment. I would work that out separate from the appeal, should you appeal. The hospital commander can also direct your ETS be changed to allow more time for MEB/PEB processing, started by your PEBLO, but I wouldn't go that route, I'd get more time based on the new condition needing evaluation. Your WTB should have a Career Counselor (retention office) that should be able to help.

Pretty confident AR 601-280 will be the controlling reg, although reservists I am a little hazy on for certain issues.

I think the best route would be getting ahold of AW2. They are supposed to be for making sure serious conditions like yours gets a realistic transition out. Fairly confident they can help since you went to WTU post deployment.

Have you applied for SSDI, given the new development? Looked into special category comp from the VA?

killbrill,

I am sorry to hear about the onset of seizures. It sounds like it has you spooked. My son went through seizures also and it was unnerving, to say the least.

My suggestion is for you to make a list if the people who are involved with your care. Look at the list and ask yourself, Who on the listens well? Circle those names. Then one by one, seek help from those people and ask them to use their network to intervene on your behalf.

Some of the attorneys on here may have some legal advice also. Above all else, keep asking for what you need.