MEB For Required Medications due to Cyclothymia

badfish

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So, I was diagnosed with cyclothymia (Bipolar Type 2’s little brother) and was put on Lamictal. The Psychiatrist who is a Major told me that I’d be put through a MEB because you cannot be on those meds and on Active Duty. She said I would get medical retirement because of that, did she mean retirement or just a med board with severance pay? All of this was triggered because of things that started in the military so I’m not sure. Does anyone know if this is suffice for retirement? I’ve only been in 3.5 years. Thank you!

eerf123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
If you get awarded 30% or more on your VA ratings, then you will get a medical retirement, if less then you will get sep with severance.

RaiderX

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Honestly; this all come down to the C&P exam, your NARSUM, and the VA rating if found unfit. Everything else is speculation at this point.

badfish

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
thank you! it’s all confusing. i’ve had half of my leadership tell me one thing and the other half tell me the other.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If you get awarded 30% or more on your VA ratings, then you will get a medical retirement, if less then you will get sep with severance.
If you 30% of more from DoD you get retirement. The VA total percentage is irrelevant for DoD retirement.

The Va rates all service connected conditions. DoD only rates unfitting conditions. Each service publishes guidance on what is an unfitting condition. The guidance for what constitutes an unfitting condition in your service can be found in the resource section of this website.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">