badfish

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So, I was diagnosed with cyclothymia (Bipolar Type 2’s little brother) and was put on Lamictal. The Psychiatrist who is a Major told me that I’d be put through a MEB because you cannot be on those meds and on Active Duty. She said I would get medical retirement because of that, did she mean retirement or just a med board with severance pay? All of this was triggered because of things that started in the military so I’m not sure. Does anyone know if this is suffice for retirement? I’ve only been in 3.5 years. Thank you!

If you get awarded 30% or more on your VA ratings, then you will get a medical retirement, if less then you will get sep with severance.

Honestly; this all come down to the C&P exam, your NARSUM, and the VA rating if found unfit. Everything else is speculation at this point.

thank you! it’s all confusing. i’ve had half of my leadership tell me one thing and the other half tell me the other.

If you get awarded 30% or more on your VA ratings, then you will get a medical retirement, if less then you will get sep with severance.
If you 30% of more from DoD you get retirement. The VA total percentage is irrelevant for DoD retirement.

The Va rates all service connected conditions. DoD only rates unfitting conditions. Each service publishes guidance on what is an unfitting condition. The guidance for what constitutes an unfitting condition in your service can be found in the resource section of this website.

What is your goal? Do you want to get out or stay in?

I am in the exact same situation. I am on lamictal for cyclothymia and have ptsd. I was just told I will be referred to the MEB next month

I was referred to the DAWG late last year, which proceeded to order an IRILO, for the same medication. I am very curious as to how this will turn out, considering Lamictal has been the most effective med for me by far. Keep us in the loop!

I was referred to the DAWG late last year, which proceeded to order an IRILO, for the same medication. I am very curious as to how this will turn out, considering Lamictal has been the most effective med for me by far. Keep us in the loop!
you were kept in? I was told its a guaranteed MEB/separation.

I’m going through the process right now. Actually just finished up my NARSUM appointment with the psychiatrist about five minutes ago. I’ll let you know how it turns out once AFPC makes a decision.

I’m going through the process right now. Actually just finished up my NARSUM appointment with the psychiatrist about five minutes ago. I’ll let you know how it turns out once AFPC makes a decision.
good luck! I just met with my PEBLO to decide which route I wanted to take for my MEB, Legacy or Integrated.

Good stuff, congrats. I'm waiting for my commander's impact statement and the NARSUM. Might take a while since one of my providers is off base.

Good stuff, congrats. I'm waiting for my commander's impact statement and the NARSUM. Might take a while since one of my providers is off base.
I just met yesterday with the MSC to go over everything I'm claiming through the VA and am waiting for a phone call to make all of my Appointments which he said I should get the call within the next weeks. Things seem to be moving kinda fast right now. Definitely not complaining. I'll keep ya posted.

I met with my MSC two days ago and got the call yesterday from QTC to set up my VA Appointments. I have all but one next week. Things are moving quick.

If you don't mind sharing, I'm interested to know what other meds you tried. I've been on so many different meds for anxiety, depression, adhd, pain, digestive issues, etc. The behavioral health ones never really seem to have much affect really, other than maybe helping me to have a little my self-control when it comes to crying (I am a female, but still-crying all the time is extremely disruptive to both work and off-duty life). Suicidal ideations, panic attacks, paranoia, lack of focus, and lethargy stay pretty consistent. I know different things work for different people, but it would be interesting to know if things I have taken also didn't work for you, maybe it would be worth suggesting to my provider that I try what you are on. Just a thought...no pressure of course.

good luck! I just met with my PEBLO to decide which route I wanted to take for my MEB, Legacy or Integrated.
I have never heard of "Legacy" or "Integrated" MEB routes. What does that mean? I have only talked to my PEBLO over email. I've never met with her. My NARSUM appointment is with a mental health provider I've never met on the 29th.

I have never heard of "Legacy" or "Integrated" MEB routes. What does that mean? I have only talked to my PEBLO over email. I've never met with her. My NARSUM appointment is with a mental health provider I've never met on the 29th.
Legacy is supposed to be a little bit shorter, the only thing is you have to make all of your own VA appointments after separation. Integrated includes all VA appointments. Before you make a decision you have to contact Office of Airman Counsel if you're Air Force and they further explain it to you. I was told the legacy one is only coming up about a month shorter though and didn't seem worth it to not have all of my VA stuff done.