MEB for Sacroiliitis?

Wingman

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hello. A friend was just recently diagnosed with sacroiliitis after having seen by PCM, PT, and Orthopaedics for 9 months and being on profile for 9 months. Finally the pain manager made the diagnosis and treated it with injection to the back. Pain went down in scale but hasn't been eliminated totally; Dr. may need to continue treatment. In the meantime, his profile had to be extended and PCM initiated an MEB. Is this right? It doesn't seem it's his fault the diagnosis/treatment took 9 months to come and now his PCM hits him with MEB, only because of the profile extension. He's 18 yrs in service and doesn't want to risk separation/retirement, especially someone who has been a great leader and has a lot of potential for so much more in the AF. It seems this is a chronic back pain that many of us suffer with. Can sacroiliitis alone result in a premature separation or retirement? Appreciate any advice.

Hey Wingman...I haven't been a lot of help as of late....but, doesn't it come down to whether or not he can do his job? He may have to go to the board...but they can find him fit.

In addition to all my back crap they just found...JUST found, after 4 years of dibilitating pain in my right s.i. joint....that I too have sacroiliitis and my right side has actually fused. They do say that it can be part of the back problems. I have an appt with a TX neuro on the 25th. I hope its conjunction with my re-evaluation. (been on tdrl since 08). This neuro is good. I'll ask him his take. I hope your friend can get through his two years...Man...I don't blame him about risking retirement...This side of things SUCKS! I believe that hot springs can help ease the pain, takes the edge off...albeit its only temp relief..but still. ....hopefully your friend has some close to where he's located...Best to both of you.

Chinook,

Given a fused SI joint, has anyone looked into the possibility you might have ankylosing spondylitis?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I need you more than you know!!!!

Don't mean to piggy back on this post.....but, I was getting prepared to write you!

No one has stated Ank Spond...but I have read some of your articles and I need your advice and input. I'm due for tdrl re-eval...just received the letter stating that I'm due...

My original NARSUM stated DDD, annular tears, and radiculopathy. DX was chronic low back pain with L4 radiculopathy associated with lumbar I was put on TDRL, 60% for incap episodes. Last year on my re-eval at Brooks/Lackland I was dropped to 40%-(20%for back, 20%for hip) hahaha...so the story goes.

I had new MRI on back and hip 6/2011. Back shows that in addition to all lumbar levels having DDD I have 3 hemangioma's (L1,S1,S3) and states "minor disc bulges, mild stenosis". Hip MRI came up as previous-I have a lesion 1.4cm (benign).....I've had fluroscope and they say its not causing radiculopathy..(which I would agree now, because I also have Left side radiculopathy now-it was only on the right side before). In addition, they found fibroids in my uterus and a cyst.

Mike-What I know is that I live in pain daily & its hard to just take care of myself. There are no extras. I take myself to the hot springs and to physical therapy (which really doesn't help-I know the exercises). I try not to take too many drugs....I need your input-I need this next TDRL to go well and I need it to be over! I couldn't think enough to help myself before-Pain is exhuasting! Emotionally, I'm DONE. Last time I had evidence and letters from friends and family-I guarantee that the board didn't even look at it-I'm sure they blew it all off! Mike, I clean up well and look decent. I walk upright without cane or any assistance so everyone assumes I'm not that bad. Take of my clothes and you see my left hip higher and swollen, my pelvis is tilted /right side. I have to walk slow or I hit the ground with shooting pain. I can't drive far without shooting pain. I am ready to do what I have to do to get treated fairly. Where do I start? I'm exhausted!

Have you been evaluated by a rheumatlogist for an inflammatory condition such as Ankylosing Spondylitis? A blood test can determine if you are HLA-B27 positive. That would be a good indicator. Should also be looking at elevated inflammatory markers like SED rate and CRP.

Mike

Hi Mike, Nope I haven't. I was just asked that question by my ortho guy (2weeks ago)....I have three referrals from him and not one to a rhuematologist. I'm on it. I'll request it from the VA tomorrow.

Or, maybe I should just ask my new dr thru TriCare to do the blood test. Do you know if I have to be seen by a rhuematologist to request the bloodwork? If it came back pos, then I could just be referred to one.....

Off the subject of backs-but I had a reaction to the typhoid serum...(serum sickness)....I wonder if there is a connection? Interesting. THANK YOU! I will follow up and then I'll let you know...

Felicia aka Chinook

I would def see a Rheumy. It took them 5 years of trial and error before finally sending me to a Rhuemy. Within a month I had a diagnosis of AS with Sacroilitis. Im HLA-B27 postive and my Sed Rates and C proteins were high. Not to mention i have DDD as well in the c spine and L spine...fun times.

also im on Humira, well been prescribed. Take the first injection in a few days.

thanks 0782-I will definately get on that. Just noticed I have dr. appt on the 6th...so I'll take care of it then. I'm almost at 5 years with my pain and injury ...and I haven't gotten anywhere! Good luck with your injection! I'm eager to figure out if this is some of my problem. I'm sure I have DDD in my neck...they just never checked it out-cause I haven't complained & I haven't complained cause we can't even figure out the lower half! Let us know how you do with the injection & take care. thanks again. I'll be in touch.

Chinook

BTW-0782 or anyone else with A.S or pos B27.........not meaning to hijack this thread-but do you guys have any problems in your visual field-like spots or lines or fuzz? Thanks.

Chinook