MEB help

Joker38

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

For the past two years, I have been experiencing pretty rough tendonitis in both of my Achilles. I have been to physical therapy and it hasn't really fixed the issue. It is definitely worse in one leg over the other, but both can be excruciating. Like, I can barely walk, let alone run level of pain. I had MRI and X-rays done, no tears or ruptures. They did find some arthritis in one ankle, and I am making an assumption that it will be there in the other as well.

Long story short, I am off to the orthopedist this week and I am getting anxious. I have heard horror stories about surgery on the Achilles, so that has me worried. I am thinking that it is only a matter of time before we get the MEB process rolling. If it goes that far, I was wondering what factors come into play when they determine your rating... Is the Air Force's rating based only on the condition that they determine makes you unfit, or is it a combined thing like the VA would do? I have had surgery on my knee, IT band issues and Anxiety disorder that I am certain is all service connected.

Ok, that is enough incoherent rambling for one day. If you made it through all that, and have some words of wisdom, I would appreciate it!

bsturm6

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,

For the past two years, I have been experiencing pretty rough tendonitis in both of my Achilles. I have been to physical therapy and it hasn't really fixed the issue. It is definitely worse in one leg over the other, but both can be excruciating. Like, I can barely walk, let alone run level of pain. I had MRI and X-rays done, no tears or ruptures. They did find some arthritis in one ankle, and I am making an assumption that it will be there in the other as well.

Long story short, I am off to the orthopedist this week and I am getting anxious. I have heard horror stories about surgery on the Achilles, so that has me worried. I am thinking that it is only a matter of time before we get the MEB process rolling. If it goes that far, I was wondering what factors come into play when they determine your rating... Is the Air Force's rating based only on the condition that they determine makes you unfit, or is it a combined thing like the VA would do? I have had surgery on my knee, IT band issues and Anxiety disorder that I am certain is all service connected.

Ok, that is enough incoherent rambling for one day. If you made it through all that, and have some words of wisdom, I would appreciate it!
You will only have an MEB for the conditions that make you unfit for duty. After you go through the process they could decide that you are still fit for duty and give you a permanent profile. Have you been exempt from running/walking on more than 4 PT tests over the last 2 years? The other issues would just be evaluated by the VA.

Joker38

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I had two exemptions in 2016, and I have already had one in may of this year. I current profile expires in Sep, and depending on what the orthopedist says I would not be surprised if it is exempted again in November.

bsturm6

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I had two exemptions in 2016, and I have already had one in may of this year. I current profile expires in Sep, and depending on what the orthopedist says I would not be surprised if it is exempted again in November.
At least from a fitness aspect you are okay currently. Does it interfere with your job?

Joker38

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
It does. I am in a job at my current assignment that requires me to stand for prolonged periods of time, and at other assignments we can be required to mobilize and deploy to potentially austere locations. I would say also that it interferes with my job from the pain aspect, as nothing seems to touch that, every time I walk I feel like I am Frankenstein and it is definitely exacerbating the anxiety as running was my personal 'therapy' for when the attacks felt like they were forming.

bsturm6

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
It does. I am in a job at my current assignment that requires me to stand for prolonged periods of time, and at other assignments we can be required to mobilize and deploy to potentially austere locations. I would say also that it interferes with my job from the pain aspect, as nothing seems to touch that, every time I walk I feel like I am Frankenstein and it is definitely exacerbating the anxiety as running was my personal 'therapy' for when the attacks felt like they were forming.
Yeah, that could end up being an issue. When you see the ortho doc I would consider asking them outcomes of other members that have had similar problems. And when you eventually do your VA physicals DEFINITELY be sure to really emphasize how your anxiety has worsened due to not being able to run, this will help for both your mental health and head to toe assessments.

Joker38

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thanks for your advice! I have known a few people in the civilian world that had surgery on their Achilles and it left them worse off, so I am trying not to be skeptical. I am ok with whatever outcome happens from all this, it is the uncertainty that gets that anxiety going.

bsturm6

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for your advice! I have known a few people in the civilian world that had surgery on their Achilles and it left them worse off, so I am trying not to be skeptical. I am ok with whatever outcome happens from all this, it is the uncertainty that gets that anxiety going.
Trust me, I totally get that! I am coming up on the end of this process and I am sooooo glad it is finally done with. All this sitting around and waiting, yet not being able to actually make any solid plans for yourself is horrible. I hope you don't have to go through it!

Joker38

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So to update this saga... My visit with the Ortho resulted in two forms of treatment. The first is a boot for my leg, which I can't say if it is better or worse but the motion it forces my foot into is the exact motion that exacerbates the pain. The next treatment they will try if there is no progress in 6 weeks is a platelet infused plasma (prp) injection directly into the Achilles. The Dr. basically gave me a 50-50 chance that the injection would do anything. Anyone had the PRP injection? Did it work out for you or do nothing at all? My research so far has not been promising.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">