script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

MEB or seek treatment?

qaz212

Registered Member
I am a USAF active duty pilot with ten years in service. I have chronic low back pain (Degenerative disk disease, herniated disk, radiculopathy) since 2016. During a mission overseas recently, I suffered an airplane accident. Because of the airplane accident, I was diagnosed with severe PTSD. Migraines, nightmares, flashbacks, and depression are now part of my life.

Specifically for my low back pain, my doctor placed me on a one-year profile (restrictions on lifting, running, and deployments). I had only been on the profile for a month before the time-period was changed from 1 year to 3 months. This profile now has a month left to expire. Reason: My doctor stated that the clinic deployment and readiness team (also known as the AMRO) was meeting after the profile expires, and they would then decide whether to board me medically.

Meanwhile, I continued seeing my clinical psychologist. She conducted structured evaluations and just recently discussed the PTSD diagnosis with me. She gave me two options: MEB referral if I am done with the operational environment or start treatment. I decide in a week.

Questions for the group:

(1) I find the profile change from a one-year profile to 3 months for the chronic back pain very strange. My lawyer felt the same way. Do you see a reason for concern?

(2) I am done with flying and the ops environments in the USAF. I spend most of my days and nights thinking about the airplane incident. My social life and work productivity are in the toilet. I am relying on my faith to get me through PTSD. There is no right answer but -- does it make sense to go with the MEB referral now and forego the treatment? I am leaning on going with the MEB.

K_Jahlon

Registered Member
1) Usually you won't' get a one-year profile for anything. Someone may have put it on wrong information, or you may have had too many days on profile for same reason, or a whole litany of other stuff going on. The ARMO (was called the DAWG at one point) will review it and then a whole set of decisions get made from that, including give you more profile time, recommend treatment, or recommend a MEB.

2) You can go with the MEB process now, but given that its mental health there are a couple of ways they can get you. If you do not get your PTSD diagnosis, then you'll possibly get an Adjustment Disorder diagnosis, which isn't a diagnosis you want to face a MEB with.

Remember, at the end of the day your goal is to rehabilitate. If it comes off as you aren't trying to do that, lots of things can happen, none of which are favorable to you.

64P

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am a USAF active duty pilot with ten years in service. I have chronic low back pain (Degenerative disk disease, herniated disk, radiculopathy) since 2016. During a mission overseas recently, I suffered an airplane accident. Because of the airplane accident, I was diagnosed with severe PTSD. Migraines, nightmares, flashbacks, and depression are now part of my life.

Specifically for my low back pain, my doctor placed me on a one-year profile (restrictions on lifting, running, and deployments). I had only been on the profile for a month before the time-period was changed from 1 year to 3 months. This profile now has a month left to expire. Reason: My doctor stated that the clinic deployment and readiness team (also known as the AMRO) was meeting after the profile expires, and they would then decide whether to board me medically.

Meanwhile, I continued seeing my clinical psychologist. She conducted structured evaluations and just recently discussed the PTSD diagnosis with me. She gave me two options: MEB referral if I am done with the operational environment or start treatment. I decide in a week.

Questions for the group:

(1) I find the profile change from a one-year profile to 3 months for the chronic back pain very strange. My lawyer felt the same way. Do you see a reason for concern?

(2) I am done with flying and the ops environments in the USAF. I spend most of my days and nights thinking about the airplane incident. My social life and work productivity are in the toilet. I am relying on my faith to get me through PTSD. There is no right answer but -- does it make sense to go with the MEB referral now and forego the treatment? I am leaning on going with the MEB.
1) No reason for concern. All my profiles have been 3 months and extended from there.

2) Got to do whats best for you and your long term health. Main goal now is to get healthy. Thats the most important thing. I am at 10 years in as well so i know the stress of the decision and i have been battling mentally for a few years now and it has just gotten to the point, that its time for me personally to leave service and settle down somewhere. Regardless you are going to have to do treatment, do it now while you are in the MEB process and continue it when you are out. What is your long term goal? Thats what you got to ask yourself.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If you are done, then you should pursue an MEB. But that does not mean treatment should not be pursued. PTSD is best treated early. Living a life with chronic PTSD is not a great goal.