MEB Process and 15-year letter Tricare Questions

RedAsh77

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I have read a lot of discussions on here similar to mine but I am still in need of clarification.

I am currently a traditional national guard Soldier with 18 years and 6 months in service. I was officially diagnosed with severe asthma during 2020-2021 and recently started biological injections along with other corticosteroids and maintenance medicines. During my last PHA, I was told to get a profile and I can go from there. I am on a profile and have been since last May (2021) and per MEDCOM's PA once my current (and last) profile ends in June 2022 I will begin the MEB process. I do plan to appeal each step of the MEB process and my goal is to reach 20 good years in service. My AYE date is Jan 31st, 2024 (20 years) so I am not sure if I can make it that far on appeals or a COAR request.

My question is this: If I take the 15-year letter and medically retire will me and my family still be eligible for Tricare Retired Reserve during the gray area period? I do not have a LOD associated with this medical condition. However, I am in the process of filing a VA claim for this presumptive condition, and if I understand correctly the two processes are not connected and do not impact one another since there is no LOD.

My biggest concern is for me and my family to be eligible for Tricare Retired Reserve. I know my pension will be greatly reduced as well but Tricare has been a huge blessing during all this. The costs of these injections are crazy expensive...and I need to breathe! :)

Your help is appreciated!

Hello,

I have read a lot of discussions on here similar to mine but I am still in need of clarification.

I am currently a traditional national guard Soldier with 18 years and 6 months in service. I was officially diagnosed with severe asthma during 2020-2021 and recently started biological injections along with other corticosteroids and maintenance medicines. During my last PHA, I was told to get a profile and I can go from there. I am on a profile and have been since last May (2021) and per MEDCOM's PA once my current (and last) profile ends in June 2022 I will begin the MEB process. I do plan to appeal each step of the MEB process and my goal is to reach 20 good years in service. My AYE date is Jan 31st, 2024 (20 years) so I am not sure if I can make it that far on appeals or a COAR request.

My question is this: If I take the 15-year letter and medically retire will me and my family still be eligible for Tricare Retired Reserve during the gray area period? I do not have a LOD associated with this medical condition. However, I am in the process of filing a VA claim for this presumptive condition, and if I understand correctly the two processes are not connected and do not impact one another since there is no LOD.

My biggest concern is for me and my family to be eligible for Tricare Retired Reserve. I know my pension will be greatly reduced as well but Tricare has been a huge blessing during all this. The costs of these injections are crazy expensive...and I need to breathe! :)

Your help is appreciated!
So here is the hard part to hear. When you enter the retired reserves in the gray area you do get tricare for yourself and your family but it isn't subsidized so its very expensive to purchase. For 2022 the cost is $502.32 for Soldier or $1,206.59 for Soldier and family. This is the cost until you reach non regular retirement age. a 15 year letter and a 20 year letter will result in the same thing. The reason you want a 20 year letter is so that you can collect CRDP at you non regular retirement if eligible. A 15 year letter won't allow you to get VA disability and your pension concurrently.

Outside insurance may even be less expensive depending on your coverage needs. I would try to get it service connected so that you can get your meds through VA healthcare for the time between getting out and reaching the age to start your non regular retirement. Also, I would try to stay fit for duty to get the cheaper insurance and hit 20 years. If found unfit apply for COAR.

Thank you for responding! I'm praying the VA approves my claim. I'm about 6 months out from when I submitted my claim and hoping to hear something soon. I appreciate your feedback and providing the clarification I needed. :)

Hello again @ Provis!

Okay- I have a question. My unit and a retirement NCO have stated that I will have 20yrs July 31st but I will not have 50points by then. We are relocating (for my health) in hopes that there is some relief. I would need to fly back for a few IDTs to achieve my 50points or more. The VA recently approved my presumtive claims at 80%. The PEB has started, but If I take the 15yr letter and head to the gray area is the wait worth a CRDP at age 60 for a traditional Mday E7? I’m about 8 months out from a 20yr letter but I am always sick and my lungs are just crapping out on me. My rpam says I would make 910.00 at age 60. Is it really worth it? How do you know if you qualify for CRDP? I checked the VAs website and I think I qualify if I have a 20yr letter but I’m not entirely sure. I know it’s probably best to stay but when I can’t breath I’m just not sure if CRDP means that much to me in the moment If this post isn’t necessary I understand. Just voicing my situation I suppose.

Hello again @ Provis!

Okay- I have a question. My unit and a retirement NCO have stated that I will have 20yrs July 31st but I will not have 50points by then. We are relocating (for my health) in hopes that there is some relief. I would need to fly back for a few IDTs to achieve my 50points or more. The VA recently approved my presumtive claims at 80%. The PEB has started, but If I take the 15yr letter and head to the gray area is the wait worth a CRDP at age 60 for a traditional Mday E7? I’m about 8 months out from a 20yr letter but I am always sick and my lungs are just crapping out on me. My rpam says I would make 910.00 at age 60. Is it really worth it? How do you know if you qualify for CRDP? I checked the VAs website and I think I qualify if I have a 20yr letter but I’m not entirely sure. I know it’s probably best to stay but when I can’t breath I’m just not sure if CRDP means that much to me in the moment If this post isn’t necessary I understand. Just voicing my situation I suppose.
If all that is standing in the way is a few more points to get your 50 points in your last full good year of serving I would do it. Basically without the 20 year letter you won't get any of your pension as it will all be offset by your VA compensation leaving your only benefit to be Tricare. Being able to get your non regular retirement pension + VA compensation may be a bigger deal as you get older. I would not leave it to chance that you can go without.

Okay! I know you’re right, I really have to convince myself to stay when im having breathing issues. It’s hard to do sometimes, but this is probably only going to get worse as I get older. Thanks for taking the time to help me today! Appreciate it!