MEB process ARNG

warrantarng

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can someone give information on ARNG MEB process. When a one weekend a month soldier has 2748 active duty points? I will be up for an MEB and want to know if I will receive anything for retirement. I have 29 years in the ARNG.

scoutCC

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There is very little fundamental difference between the ARNG MEB and any other MEB. It typically comes with the same fit vs unfit issues and the same rating questions that distinguish severance vs retirement. There is one important distinction, as there is more issues surrounding the service connection, LOD question. It can be problematic when they say the medical condition has nothing to do with your service and not offer any compensation. Its such a broad question its hard to say much more intelligent than that, unfortunately.

I can't say how likely an offer of severance pay vs retirement is, both are real possibilities. If LOD issues show up the MEB/PEB could even not offer you that much. Its impossible to say they'll even find you unfit, making the whole question moot. It can be said, however, that the normal retirement you've already earned with 29 years of service, the one you'd be getting at age 60 (60ish, might possibly be earlier), will act as a fall back position. Making the "will receive anything for retirement" a yes.

wiko123

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Be ready for a long fight.......my file sat at the state level for a year before it got pushed to the active duty side to start the process. from beginning to end it took 2 years and all the while they kept telling me to "just turn your stuff in and walk away since you have your 20 year letter" be patient and muscle through it. its worth the fight

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Be ready for a long fight.......my file sat at the state level for a year before it got pushed to the active duty side to start the process. from beginning to end it took 2 years and all the while they kept telling me to "just turn your stuff in and walk away since you have your 20 year letter" be patient and muscle through it. its worth the fight
Hmm, indeed as from an U.S. Army active duty perspective with 32+ years of military service, I too unfortunately was told similar responses from numerous military PCMs upon reaching 20 years of active federal military service. :eek:

In retrospect, it took me 618 calendar days to officially complete the DoD IDES process while still on military active duty albeit a "combat-related" disability military retirement was legally by far the best outcome for my family and I versus the standard "length of service" non-disability military retirement for sure! :D

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

warrantarng

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Did you have to wait to receive your ARNG retirement until 60

wiko123

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yup.....BUT I get 100% of VA now and CRSC to offset what the DOD keeps. When I turn 60 i'll get a pay bump with CRDP.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">