MEB Process Question

Long story short, I was just 3P and referred to MEB. This happened May 10 2019. I have had 1 shoulder surgery and currently scheduled for a second one. I am active duty army with 18 years 11 months in. My question is what are the chances I will make it through the MEB process and still be able to retire with 20 years. I was told that the process wont fully start until I have had the surgery and been released from physical therapy. Is this True? Also I do have other conditions but the Shoulder injury is what prompted the MEB.

Looking at the way MEDBOARDs are going now, i think it'll be easy enough to get to the 20 years using your time wisely. I started my MEDBOARD on Nov 2018, my Informal PEB just started and I'm looking at January 2020 as my discharge date. VA is backlogged and if you appeal as well it adds more time to the process.

I know the VA will want to wait 6 month post surgery to rate a condition. I was going to have a back surgery but opted not to as I didn't want to wait that long and I am not sure the surgery would help. I think you could delay the process in order to meet your 20 years.

Thanks, So they may not fully proceed with the MEDBOARD until I have recovered from the Surgery, What are some pointers on maximizing the timeline?

you can appeal at all stages possible. after you get ratings you can request a formal PEB and then after that you can appeal higher than that if you need more time. It depends on which service as to who you appeal to at that point. I would get into the regulations for the whole IDES process.

I am not 100% sure on this but given how close you are to retiring they may put you in a TLD status to allow you to complete your 20. Ive seen a few people at my command who were sitting at 18 and got TLD to push them to 20 years. I would still recommend going through the IDES program so they do all the leg work on your VA claims in advance and you don't have to jump through hoops at the end of it. Your PEBLO will know more. Best of luck to you.

So currently I am also on assignment to Alaska supposed to report 10 July 2019, Will those orders be deferred or deleted? and do I need to do anything to get them deferred or deleted.

Talk to your monitor or chain of command about the situation. Logic will prevail and you'll hit 20 before you get separated. There is such a thing as permanent limited duty to carry people in your shoes to 20 years vice medsep'd and screwed. There is even a couple of questions about it on the non-medical assessment. If you're about to execute orders, you should talk to your monitor, like today.

I have spoken to my chain of command, and I am working with Brigade Medical. Also spoke with director of IDES at FT Sam and she Is going to look into the PCS situation. My orders should be deleted due to the P3 and MEB.

Here is an update. I am trying to continue to delay the process. My retirement was denied due to TIG, I am eligible to resubmit 31 March 2020. The MEB still lingers though.
May 2019 referred to MEB
11 June 2019. Surgery on shoulder
19 Nov 2019. Submitted packet to MEB to request all medical records
15 Jan 2020 Nurse case manager called and wants to schedule Fit for duty physical.
Question I hit my actual 20 years on 17 July 2020, I currently have 64 days of leave including January.
mid I scheduled my fit for duty for 20 February 2020.what are my chances of making it to my 20 year mark and maintaining my retirement? I could possible talk them into letting me come the 20th of February because I am 2 hours from the base. One person at Ft Leonard wood stated they could probably complete the MEB in like 60 days. Is this possible? Really need some help everything I read states 90-100 days MEB and 1-2 months PEB but how accurate is that?