MEB Process

RC MEB

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was referred to the MEB today, what can I expect for a timeline. Currently 19 yrs 3 month in the Army and I submitted retirement on 1 October 2019. I was told by S-1 today that the MEB takes precedence over my retirement packet.
Any help is much appreciated

Every timeline is unique. You may want to slow roll this process, so you get to 20.

You will want to read AR 635-40 and DA PAM 635-40. It covers the entire IDES process and It talks about retirement and MEB and which one takes precedence.

Using all your rights and appeals, you just might make it to 20 years. Lately they are really starting to push IDES cases thru much faster.

Attachments

• 133218p Change 1 17 MAY 2018.pdf
    320.8 KB · Views: 36
I would recommend contacting a lawyer now so you know exactly what you need to do to slow roll this to get to 20 years. The owner of this site is really good at what he does and can definitely help you through this. www.peblawyer.com or 1-800-576-5648

Meeting with the PEBLO in the Morning i have turned in all the paperwork last week for them to start collecting up my medical records. The PEBLO is telling me that if i go forward that i will most likely lose my retirement since my 20 year mark is July 17 2020 and the MEB will be completed way before that. Not sure if this is considered but i also have 65 days of leave right now. Any suggestions?

you will definitely have 90 days of leave if you hit July. So take 90 days and subtract that from 17 July. 19 April is the date you must hit or crossover before your MEB is completely finalized. With your appeal rights of the FBEB, VARR, IMR and taking the full amount of days to sign each set of paperwork, I personally don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to cross the 19 April mark.

I was trying to see what steps there are for me to take time to sign and how much time at each step to sign. Where would i find that at?

AR 635-40 and DA Pam 635-40. I would check the DODIs too, as some of the them are newer and have updated information.

@RC MEB Each step has a maximum amount of days the PEBLO/MEB/PEB can take to move to the next step, each process have different days, 3/5/10 etc. The VA portions are crap shoots, they have their mandated days also but there is no controlling how long ratings decisions take, QTC appointment scheduling's, etc, the VA portion you are at their mercy so to speak. For instance it took almost 2 months for my ratings to get finalized.

One unsaid, non specific thing you have going for you is this upcoming holiday season, you can pray that case workers handling your case are more interested in holiday leave than moving quickly on their case loads.

You can slow roll the days you have control over such as when you need to sign and submit forms, appeal findings and such.

Hopefully your PEBLO understands your position and is willing to take the proper amount of time to double check everything you sign before he initiates his processes....

At MAX you need to make it to the beginning of Terminal Leave and PTDY in conjunction with retirement. If you get all the maximum leave and allowances days to out process, that number day can be nearly 110 days before your last duty day. Therefore you could be in your regular retirement phase even before April with commanders approval of 20 days PTDY for retirement.

In the MEB process you have multiple avenues of appeals, many steps that require you to sign for acknowledgements and findings, hopefully your PEBLO is laying all this info out for you and YOUR specific scenario.

Quick update.. So my retirement was disapproved because I still owe 3 months TIG for my most recent promotion. I am able to resubmit voluntary retirement on 1 April 2020, that will give me the 36 months needed according to the disapproval memo form HRC. Now I still have not conducted my fit for duty physical because my case manager was wanting me to hold off until my retirement was approved to lock that in. So at this point I am going to have to do the fit for duty physical soon. My 20 year mark is 17 July 2020. I currently have 65 days of leave saved. My question is if I can hold off the fit for duty physical until first week of February am I going to make it to 20 years?

You have not entered IDES?
You have yet to met with a VA VSO to submit your medical conditions?
Your fit for duty physical, does is that to determine your fitness and wether you begin a MEB?
What date do you need to make it to for your promotion retainer to expire?

I am not in IDES.
I have not met with the VA VSO
Yes I was told by a case manager at Ft Leonard Wood that the next step to get the MEB process started is do the fit for duty physical. She stated that the doctor who reviewed my records has enough to start the process just needs me to complete the physical
My promotion retainer expires 31 March 2021. So that means I can submit my retirement. 1 April 2020 with and effective date of retirement of 1 April 2021. But I do hit 20 years on July 17 2020

**** Disclaimer****
Your timeline can not be predicted down to the day, but it can have a best guess applied based of current trends!

So it seems then you "SHOULD" make it to 20 year retirement, even if the MEB went quickly if you take all your allotted days to respond, appeal every determination and make appointments out as far as possible then even if your MEB concluded you could get orders and to align with your 20 year mark. My orders were cut for medical retirement on my 20 year anniversary. Making it 1 April 2021 to comply with the rank retainer, that will be a little more difficult and will require some luck, proper planning and asking for fitness based on time of service. I do not know about all services but the USAF has a stipulation that they will lean towards the member being found fit when they enter the MEB AFTER 19 years.

I didn't ENTER the MEB after 19, I was MEB'd at 18 years and 9 months so I had to fight to get my medical retirement to align with 20 years, my first orders were proposed for 19 years and 3 months of service. I did some appeals and then was approved for the LAS (limited assignment system) which is an agreement that I will stay in until my first retirement eligible ETS and then I must medically retire.

If I am medically retired from the Army what I have read the rank retainer doesn’t matter all that would matter is I make it to 20 years because medical retirement is through no fault of my own.

That is a part I have not seen, I have not seen what happens if you break the retainer. I would guess that you are correct and your retiring rank will still be determined to be correct. Either way the pay would still be the average of your last 36 months. At this point I believe its more of what rank is on your orders and ID card?

Does anyone else have any input on what I am looking at or what I should do to ensure I make it to 20 years ?

@RC MEB - Cant You apply for retirement now since you are less than a year from 20? and is this 20 AD Years or Just 20 "good" Years?

I can apply for retirement on 1 April 2020 due to me owing 36 months for TIG requirement. But I hit 20 active duty years on 17 July 2020. What I am concerned with is I won’t make it to July 17 2020 if I do my fit for duty physical in the next week or so. It’s not scheduled yet but Ft Leonard wood has Calle some to try and schedule it

What if you scheduled the appointment as far out as you can, and then what if you were busy that day, and you had to call and reschedule for a few weeks after that? It could happen. You could be busy. Just a thought. I have not tried this. I am not that far along in the process, it's just a thought.

Update. So spoke with the Peblo again today was able to buy myself another 2 weeks.. so if I do my fit for duty physical on 21 February 2020 will I be good? They have most my medical records from the providers that I have seen over my career already.

17 July 2020. 20 year active duty mark
64.5 days of leave currently.
21 February 2020 fit for duty physical

what do you guys think do I need to do another stall tactic or am I good? Due to promotion to MSG I have a SRR and can’t drop retirement until 31 March 2020 with effective retirement date of 1 April 2021