MEB Status?

300whisper

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I posted a question in another thread about my overall case, and now I am concerned, about my timeline or if I will even have a MEB. Long story short, was in AFG three weeks ago, got caught sleep walking, got sent home. Medical history is Boxed for the Army (drs worried about concussions), blown up multiple times doing route clearance, multiple counseling sessions for my first deployment in 2012, "rang my bell" jumping in the 82nd. Counseling has spanned 4 years across, 3 duty stations. My very first counseling with my BDE psychologist, when I got back from AFG 3 weeks ago, said I have or am a strong candidate for an official PTSD diagnosis. Right now all my files from my counseling's say generalized anxiety disorder.

My primary care provider wont start a MEB without a recommendation from the neurologists. I started the process with the neurologist, but its an 8-9 week process to get a diagnosis. I only started sleep walking this past year (acting out my nightmares), so the neurologist said that's rare if I didn't do it as a kid, and I am a stronger candidate for REM sleep behavior disorder. I didn't even know that was a thing.

My dilemma is I ETS in May of 2018 after 3 deployments and 8 years of service. I really want to get out now that I know my career is pretty much over with sleepwalking on my records, and don't want to stay in much past that.

Sorry long winded, but here are the questions:

1. Can I pursue a MEB for PTSD to get the process started sooner instead of waiting on the neurologist, and just use the neurologists findings to help the PTSD diagnosis?

2. You have to be on profile for a year, but does my 4 years of counseling show continued treatment with no improvement?

3. Do I have a strong case for a MEB? My BDE is deployed so its extremely limited with staff, otherwise I would ask them.

4. Or should I just say screw it, and get out?

This sounds similar to my last thread, I just have the ball rolling now with appointments and waiting on official diagnosis's, so it opened up a few new questions.

USMCJAG

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I posted a question in another thread about my overall case, and now I am concerned, about my timeline or if I will even have a MEB. Long story short, was in AFG three weeks ago, got caught sleep walking, got sent home. Medical history is Boxed for the Army (drs worried about concussions), blown up multiple times doing route clearance, multiple counseling sessions for my first deployment in 2012, "rang my bell" jumping in the 82nd. Counseling has spanned 4 years across, 3 duty stations. My very first counseling with my BDE psychologist, when I got back from AFG 3 weeks ago, said I have or am a strong candidate for an official PTSD diagnosis. Right now all my files from my counseling's say generalized anxiety disorder.

My primary care provider wont start a MEB without a recommendation from the neurologists. I started the process with the neurologist, but its an 8-9 week process to get a diagnosis. I only started sleep walking this past year (acting out my nightmares), so the neurologist said that's rare if I didn't do it as a kid, and I am a stronger candidate for REM sleep behavior disorder. I didn't even know that was a thing.

My dilemma is I ETS in May of 2018 after 3 deployments and 8 years of service. I really want to get out now that I know my career is pretty much over with sleepwalking on my records, and don't want to stay in much past that.

Sorry long winded, but here are the questions:

1. Can I pursue a MEB for PTSD to get the process started sooner instead of waiting on the neurologist, and just use the neurologists findings to help the PTSD diagnosis?

2. You have to be on profile for a year, but does my 4 years of counseling show continued treatment with no improvement?

3. Do I have a strong case for a MEB? My BDE is deployed so its extremely limited with staff, otherwise I would ask them.

4. Or should I just say screw it, and get out?

This sounds similar to my last thread, I just have the ball rolling now with appointments and waiting on official diagnosis's, so it opened up a few new questions.
300--IMHO, you should slow down, take your doctor's advice and let the IDES process take its course, even if it means staying past your ETS. You now need to look at the long view of your life. It sounds like your conditions are severe enough to get a pretty decent rating towards your medical retirement. If you walk away now, you're walking away from possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars that you earned in blood, sweat, and tears. You also want to file with the VA concurrently with the MEB process. You will want both your retirement and your VA disability. Based on what you wrote, you may be eligible for CRSC. Again, you're talking about walking away from A LOT of money.

Don't think of it as an "MEB for PTSD"--think of it as an MEB for ALL of your unfitting conditions: PTSD, GAD, mTBI, REM sleep disorder, knees, etc. You will be better served in the long run to have ALL of your conditions fully documented BEFORE your MEB starts. Each condition gets a separate rating, which increases your retirement, up to a maximum of 75% of your base pay. The longer you stay in, the higher your retirement pay.

Again, do NOT walk away from all the benefits (pay, Tricare, etc) of a medical retirement just because you're ready to get the hell out of Dodge. It may be a painful 18 months, but it's an investment in yourself and your future.

300whisper

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
USMCJAG, thank you for the advice. I am also going to file for lack of patience too ;)

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">