MEB vs chpater 5-17

es2330

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
How's it going guys. I'm a soldier who's been in for almost 3 yrs.

I'm in a situation where i got injured while i moved to line company, I had to run 6miles in 7mins pace when i run 16mins 2miles, ruck run every friday(had couple heat casualties everytime), and had leg joint

pain started from division run all after.

Since infantry did their things, not letting me go to tmc, mocking me for having profile, tell me to suck it up cuz it is only muscle soreness etc, i started feeling depressed and went to BH. First meeting, BH

recommended me 5-17 and i said yeah i wanna get out, and that was this FEB.

Commander was pushing it forward, and i felt like a cold turkey being thrown in the street cuz i was hurting,

so i was thinking of MEB, but my PCM said there is no evidence to push MEB, i agreed, and BH was saying dont fight the army to get MEB and stuff.

I kind of felt like both sides try to deny me for MEB.

So i've been to treatment, from ibuprofen, muscle relaxer, lidocane patches, physical therapy(from here my back started hurting more) and so on, and finally after 6 months got my MRI done for my back, and

found something on my back which is possibly causing me pain on both of my back and leg.

It says

Disc desiccation is seen at L2-L3 and L4-L5. Schmorl's nodes are seen at L1-L2 and L3-L4. THe conus medullaries terminates at the L1 level. Vertebral body height and alignment are maintained.

an Oval focus of bright T1 and T2 signal is seen leftward in the L3 vertbral body on sagittal image4,5 mm in greatest dimension, compatible with a hemagioma. Axial images reveal the following findings at the

following levels:
L1-L2: No siginificant disease.

L2-L3: No siginificant disease.

L3-L4:No siginificant disease.

L4-L5: A broad-based disc bulge is present with a small superimposed central annular tear. Mild central canal stenosis and mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing result.

L5-S1: No siginificant disease.

Impression: Mild, multilevel lumbar disc disease, greatest at L4-L5.

and it says DJD.

I also do have both of my feet getting numb and tingle when i walk or do eliptical for more than 10 mins, dull pain on all over my back including C-spine, have my hands and feet get cold on and off.

Also find it hard to completely empty my bladder when peeing.

Had a talk with my PCM, saying it isn't that bad, most of people have this, not in MEB criteria so he will give me profile for now, and if it doesnt get better,

he will refer me to pain management, get treatment for 3-4months, then possibly surgery or no surgery, which maximize my treatment. then he said he can refer me for MEB.

To be honest, i do not know what MRI really is saying but i'm just in pain and feel like the treatment is being dragged over time and waitting till the chapter goes through before MEB.

I'm planning to talk to my CO that i wanna keep the treatment going for now and don't want chapter but MEB.

I also want to have some opinion on my symptoms if it isn't really MEB criteria or not.

would it be better to ask my PCM if i can get second opinion from offpost?

Please give me some advice and tell me if you guys have any idea what i should do.

Last edited:

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If the PCM won't do the referral for the board then it's DOA. Your PCM number one priority is you getting treatment not about which chapter you want to get. You never said before that you initially agreed to the 5-17.... not sure your commander will switch it but he will talk to the PCM who already doesn't support it so now you're back at 5-17 OR continued service.

es2330

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If the PCM won't do the referral for the board then it's DOA. Your PCM number one priority is you getting treatment not about which chapter you want to get. You never said before that you initially agreed to the 5-17.... not sure your commander will switch it but he will talk to the PCM who already doesn't support it so now you're back at 5-17 OR continued service.
I haven't signed any paper works yet. i've done phase1, and first SFL-TAP class. that is it. So would you say it is up to CO's decision?

91B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

I'm in a situation where i got injured while i moved to line company, I had to run 6miles in 7mins pace when i run 16mins 2miles, ruck run every friday(had couple heat casualties everytime), and had leg joint

Since infantry did their things, not letting me go to tmc, mocking me for having profile, tell me to suck it up cuz it is only muscle soreness etc, i started feeling depressed and went to BH. First meeting, BH

Commander was pushing it forward, and i felt like a cold turkey being thrown in the street cuz i was hurting,

so i was thinking of MEB, but my PCM said there is no evidence to push MEB, i agreed, and BH was saying dont fight the army to get MEB and stuff.

So i've been to treatment, from ibuprofen, muscle relaxer, lidocane patches, physical therapy(from here my back started hurting more) and so on, and finally after 6 months got my MRI done for my back, and

found something on my back which is possibly causing me pain on both of my back and leg.

It says

Disc desiccation is seen at L2-L3 and L4-L5. Schmorl's nodes are seen at L1-L2 and L3-L4. THe conus medullaries terminates at the L1 level. Vertebral body height and alignment are maintained.

an Oval focus of bright T1 and T2 signal is seen leftward in the L3 vertbral body on sagittal image4,5 mm in greatest dimension, compatible with a hemagioma. Axial images reveal the following findings at the

following levels:

L4-L5: A broad-based disc bulge is present with a small superimposed central annular tear. Mild central canal stenosis and mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing result.

and it says DJD.

I also do have both of my feet getting numb and tingle when i walk or do eliptical for more than 10 mins, dull pain on all over my back including C-spine, have my hands and feet get cold on and off.

Had a talk with my PCM, saying it isn't that bad, most of people have this, not in MEB criteria so he will give me profile for now, and if it doesnt get better,

he will refer me to pain management, get treatment for 3-4months, then possibly surgery or no surgery, which maximize my treatment. then he said he can refer me for MEB.

To be honest, i do not know what MRI really is saying but i'm just in pain and feel like the treatment is being dragged over time and waitting till the chapter goes through before MEB.

I'm planning to talk to my CO that i wanna keep the treatment going for now and don't want chapter but MEB.

I also want to have some opinion on my symptoms if it isn't really MEB criteria or not.

Please give me some advice and tell me if you guys have any idea what i should do.

im kinda of going through the same thing. I have been on temporary profiles for over 224 days. ive been reffered to physical medicine and still nothing. have they said anything to you about getting a med board? they haven't said anything to me about nothing but trying this and that. I have back, neck and shoulder issues and still not getting looked at for a med board. what all have they tried for you?

es2330

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
im kinda of going through the same thing. I have been on temporary profiles for over 224 days. ive been reffered to physical medicine and still nothing. have they said anything to you about getting a med board? they haven't said anything to me about nothing but trying this and that. I have back, neck and shoulder issues and still not getting looked at for a med board. what all have they tried for you?
I've tried upto pain management, had 2series of epidural shots on my back, and have both of pain management doctor and Neuro surgery doctor's recommendation note stating i should get MEB instead of chapter. BUT my unit, which is infantry unit, they like to get rid of broken bodies away really quick and get healthy body. At first my PA was considering MEB, then later after couple weeks, he was saying commander is the boss and this and that.

I had onpost MEB attorney and the MEB director who strongly agreed that i should get MEB regarding my mental situation instead of chapter, cuz i meet the meb criteria.
I was gonna pursue for MEB, but i'm just tired of fighting. its been going on for 5 months, that i've been to IG, patient advocacy, big hospital on main post, civ attorney, seeing command teams. MOST OF THEM says they can't help because its the military doctor who makes deicision, i belong to 2nd brigade so main post can't help, and my briagde clinic insist i dont meet the criteria when MEB director says i do and so on. Even i start the MEB, thats another 6 months. I'm exhausted.

I just wanna get over this in my life and move on. don't want to waste my time no more. I tried, but this world is cruel and i'm only minimal to them because im only e4 whom they won't care even i die.

91B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I've tried upto pain management, had 2series of epidural shots on my back, and have both of pain management doctor and Neuro surgery doctor's recommendation note stating i should get MEB instead of chapter. BUT my unit, which is infantry unit, they like to get rid of broken bodies away really quick and get healthy body. At first my PA was considering MEB, then later after couple weeks, he was saying commander is the boss and this and that.

I had onpost MEB attorney and the MEB director who strongly agreed that i should get MEB regarding my mental situation instead of chapter, cuz i meet the meb criteria.
I was gonna pursue for MEB, but i'm just tired of fighting. its been going on for 5 months, that i've been to IG, patient advocacy, big hospital on main post, civ attorney, seeing command teams. MOST OF THEM says they can't help because its the military doctor who makes deicision, i belong to 2nd brigade so main post can't help, and my briagde clinic insist i dont meet the criteria when MEB director says i do and so on. Even i start the MEB, thats another 6 months. I'm exhausted.

I just wanna get over this in my life and move on. don't want to waste my time no more. I tried, but this world is cruel and i'm only minimal to them because im only e4 whom they won't care even i die.

damn man I feel you big time. they fore sure take their sweet time on stuff like this. its very annoying and they don't care like you said cause their not going through what we are. thanks for the reply and I hope all goes well for you. ive been told many times on here keep pressing and be very persistant.

91B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
damn man I feel you big time. they fore sure take their sweet time on stuff like this. its very annoying and they don't care like you said cause their not going through what we are. thanks for the reply and I hope all goes well for you. ive been told many times on here keep pressing and be very persistant.

See my unit is the exact opposite. Were so desperate for numbers he dint kick anyone out for anything.

91B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

I also had anotyer question... are you on permanent profile or still being given temporary profiles? Im on temporary. Most recent one is a 90 day. Amd what has been your process from very beginning of pain till now? Mis has been initial visit. Bunch of 1 to 2 weekers. Then they refdered me to physical therapy. Made it worse. Then they did xray and mri. I had detoraring disc, bilateral spondylosis, and fractire in a disc or vertibera. I dont remember. Then we came back to fort hood. They started me on one month profiles. Then 2 now i have a 90 day. They did another set of physical therapy. Made it worse. Then they reffered me to physical medecine. They did the stupid pulse machine thing. Didnt work. Then i did a chiropractor didnt work. Then i just did my first cortisol injection. Made it worse. Did that the other day.

es2330

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I also had anotyer question... are you on permanent profile or still being given temporary profiles? Im on temporary. Most recent one is a 90 day. Amd what has been your process from very beginning of pain till now? Mis has been initial visit. Bunch of 1 to 2 weekers. Then they refdered me to physical therapy. Made it worse. Then they did xray and mri. I had detoraring disc, bilateral spondylosis, and fractire in a disc or vertibera. I dont remember. Then we came back to fort hood. They started me on one month profiles. Then 2 now i have a 90 day. They did another set of physical therapy. Made it worse. Then they reffered me to physical medecine. They did the stupid pulse machine thing. Didnt work. Then i did a chiropractor didnt work. Then i just did my first cortisol injection. Made it worse. Did that the other day.
they give me 2 weeks of temporary profile everytime. Once you get permanent profile, i think that makes you a candidate of MEB.
i have tear in my disc, lack of fluid and bulging out disc and more. If you haven't talked about MEB with your PA, you should and see what he says.

91B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
they give me 2 weeks of temporary profile everytime. Once you get permanent profile, i think that makes you a candidate of MEB.
i have tear in my disc, lack of fluid and bulging out disc and more. If you haven't talked about MEB with your PA, you should and see what he says.
How long have you been given temps? Amd where on the profile do you look to see how many days on profile for the same condition? Like ive neen on profule for 3 different things. Ripped hamstring. Back and neck. But how do i tell how long ive been on profile for just my back?

91B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

It says

following levels:

and it says DJD.

Hey keep me updated as well. Im kinda in the same situation as you. So their thinking about chaptering you? And how have you got them to do it?

91B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

It says

following levels:

and it says DJD.

Im just ready to get out. Im always in so much pain.

91B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Shoot if thats the case with the command team ill be in till tye emd. Lol. Our unit dont let go of anyone unless islts absolutely necessary. We haave people that have drug charges on them and still wont let them go

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">