MEB VS. Regular Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcticWarrior907

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I apologize for the double post in a different Forum...
I have a question in regards to regular Retirement vs. MEB, I had a C5 - C7 Decompression and Spinal Fusion last month and will also need a Fusion on L5-S1 after my recovery later on this year. I will hit my 20 yrs mark in September of this year and was originally planning on doing at least one more year before I retire. As of right now nobody in my CoC has even mentioned a MEB but of course I know its in the cards. I wonder what would be more beneficial for me to just drop my regular retirement if I get notified any any point in the future that I will get recommended for a MEB? I was also advised by my BH provider that she would put me on Temp. Profiles for my PTSD in case of a MEB..its all confusing, body is breaking down and never expected that I would end up in this situation at the end of my career.

I am concerned that if my BH provider issues me the Profile for my PTSD before the MEB process begins and would be found fit for duty for my back that I might be founght unfit for the PTSD...if that makes sense. At the same time, leaving my mental condition out of the MEB process would also hurt me, my counselor strongly recommended the profile to me this week to make my condition and severity as well as the historical timeline stronger. Again, I am not going through MEB yet, maybe never will...but it does make me thing, nervous, and anxious.

You are playing with fire if they MEB you before September you will not be allowed to draw concurrent receipt and you will forfeit your retirement pay. As a Chapter 61 Retiree with less than 20 years of service, you are bound by the rules of the offset. There are many options that are available to help you to make it to 20 but I have seen numerous examples of them being denied and your service racing to complete your MEB is less than 90 days. I have seen DD-214 with 19 years and 6 months and those people got hosed big time. What you need to do is start your predischarge VA claim so you will be good by September do not waste your time with a MEB at this point. Start the claim NOW I provided a link below

https://benefits.va.gov/predischarge/

I appreciate your feedback battle...not sure what a Chapter 61 Retiree is, and I have heard about guys who got MEBed just before hitting that 20 yrs mark. So in a nut shell don't entertain a MEB, what happens if I drop my Retirement packet and while in the process of waiting for a approved retirement date my PCM recommends a MEB?

Excellent advice about CRDP by Oddpedestrian.

A CH 61 retirement is a DoD disability retirement. In my opinion, you will will throwing away thousands of dollars in CRDP if you choose to not complete your 20 years. A 20 year retirement for RA (example) is considered a regular retirement (although a 20 year RA could receive a CH 61 retirement and still be entitled to CRDP).

I have received either CRDP or CRSC since they became law. Without them, I would lose $2800 a month in retired pay as my VA comp exceeds that amount. In other words, my entire retired pay would be waived and there would be no replacement or restoration.

Last edited:
You know...it's BS that you served for 19 1/2 yrs and now looking at getting kicked to the curb, and on top of it make it look like they care when it comes down to save the Government money.

You know...it's BS that you served for 19 1/2 yrs and now looking at getting kicked to the curb, and on top of it make it look like they care when it comes down to save the Government money.
Absolutely make a plan to get across the finish line on your terms it's all about YOU now make your priorities first!! Right now you need to focus on your VA claim and having all your medical evidence together to get a 50% rating from them so you can draw your full retirement and your VA benefits (CRDP).

Well, I believe that I should receive a rating of over 50%. I do have a diagnosis of Lsepp Apnea with a CPAP machine, as I said just had a cervical Spine fusion with another Fusion on my lower back later on this year. I guess I will tell my BH counselor next week to just go ahead and initate the temp. profile for my PTSD...she has been very persistent to do that, but I always asked her not to give me a profile. I also have some other documented injuries while deployed and stuff. I am gonna get in touch with the VSO here and sit down with him...actually wanted to do at least another year but as you said, its about me and to leave the service on my terms.

Excellent advice about CRDP by Oddpedestrian.

A CH 61 retirement is a DoD disability retirement. In my opinion, you will will throwing away thousands of dollars in CRDP if you choose to not complete your 20 years. A 20 year retirement for RA (example) is considered a regular retirement (although a 20 year RA could receive a CH 61 retirement and still be entitled to CRDP).

I have received either CRDP or CRSC since they became law. Without them, I would lose $2800 a month in retired pay as my VA comp exceeds that amount. In other words, my entire retired pay would be waived and there would be no replacement or restoration.
I am sure nobody will explain that to someone who is about to go through that process...I am gonna take my happy pills now and be upset about it later on today !!!

Some examples I provided to you elsewhere that you might not have seen.

Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) allows military retirees to receive both military retired pay and Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation. This was prohibited until the CRDP program began on January 1, 2004. A CH 61 retiree is not eligible unless they complete 20 years or more of service and meet the other requirements. See the explanation by DFAS at https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/di ... /crdp.html

You can read about CRSC at https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/di ... /crsc.html

Two examples regarding CRDP:

1. Regular retiree with 20 years active duty; his retired pay is 2000 and his VA compensation is 1800 @ 70%.
He (or she) will receive retired pay/CRDP that totals 2000 and also receive VA comp at 1800. Summary:
DFAS pays 2000 and the VA pays 1800; the retiree receives 3800 each month

2. CH 61 retiree with less than 20 years active duty, his retired pay is 2000 and his VA compensation is 1800 @ 70%.
He must waive retired pay in the amount of VA compensation which is 1800. He is not eligible for CRDP.
Retired pay less VA offset (2000-1800 = 200); the retiree receives 2000 each month which is the remaining retired pay of 200 from DFAS plus the VA pays VA comp of 1800.

There are many scenarios that are not addressed here.

Note regarding your remark, "Well, I believe that I should receive a rating of over 50%." That is excellent. Keep in mind that if you are a CH 61 retiree with less than 20 years AD, you will not be eligible for CRDP even with a 50% rating. Please see the references provided above.

Even if the MEB started today, you wouldn't be released before September. Don't even consider that a possibility.

Even if it came back in August, there are appeals and then a section to extend your release date to make it to 20, generally reserved for those with 18+ years in at the time of MEB.

You look to gain significant income if you were to obtain CDRP. It would be worth discussing it with your doctor, in my opinion.

Attached is proof that they will absolutely MEB board you out and deny your appeals at 19 years 8 months....

Attachments

• sketch-1524438578331.png
    sketch-1524438578331.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
My understanding is your appeals are limited since the service is retiring you NOT separating you that's the big difference in dragging out appeals only the MEB can grant the request for you to stay until your 20.

Sure, someone may exist that didn't realize or take advantage of the options given them at the time of signing their findings. That's not the standard.

You should encourage people with facts not "your understanding". Your appeals are not "limited". A formal board, which everyone has a right to, will extend your EAS by at least 2 months in addition to your MEB process. There is another appeal available after that as well so maybe a little less scare tactics toward your fellow service members.

I appreciate all of your feedbacck battles, I obviously want to make it to the 20 yrs mark...thats one of the reasons why we all decided to stay in that long. I am glad that this forum exist...knowledge is power and I am kinda flapping in the wind here with all of this MEB/VA stuff.

All of the points about getting to 20 years and/or getting concurrent receipt (if not from CRDP, then CRSC which does not rely on getting 20 years) are important factors to consider.

That said, like @Chaps_Z wrote, it is highly unlikely that an MEB board initiated today would resolve and be finalized by September. Yes, there are appeals (to the MEB, to the PEB, to the higher reviewing authority, and to the VA- through a VA Rating Reconsideration Request). Taking all of them would extend your process by several months at least.

However, there is another factor/issue that you could consider. If you drop a retirement request now and it is approved before your MEB is initiated, you would fall under the Presumption of Fitness Rule. This makes it hard to get an unfit finding, but, increases chances for retention and continued service.

Thanks Jason...It is crazy to think about all this stuff, I had no plans to retire this year, was planning on next year and even though my CoC has not said anything about a MEB it is on my mind. I did not think and I am not familiar with the Reg. when the Provider is required to request a MEB, I am not on a permanent Profile, just a temp and my PULSHES are 1s across the board.

Thanks Jason...It is crazy to think about all this stuff, I had no plans to retire this year, was planning on next year and even though my CoC has not said anything about a MEB it is on my mind. I did not think and I am not familiar with the Reg. when the Provider is required to request a MEB, I am not on a permanent Profile, just a temp and my PULSHES are 1s across the board.

I understand the anxiety and the questions. That is natural, especially given the stakes.

It is difficult to give more input or insight on your situation. I have seen cases like you describe move along quickly, slowly, or not at all through the IDES process. Like I mentioned, I think it is highly unlikely that if an MEB was initiated today, you would not make it to 20 years of service so long as you are smart about exercising your options. Still, I have seen folks screw up a favorable situation by making bad choices. Wish I had more for you. Hope this helped (as well as the forum having helped). Best of luck!

Jason brought up an excellent point about CRSC, Combat Related Special Compensation. It does not have a 20 year requirement. CRSC requires an application. Approved CRSC replaces some or all of waived retired pay. It is not a bonus or an "on top of" payment. CH 61 retirees can receive a maximum of the dollar amount of the longevity portion of their retired pay (of the waived amount). CRSC does not replace waived DoD disability retired pay (i.e., the amount waived that is in excess of the longevity portion).

To qualify for CRSC you must:
  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
  • Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War
Reference: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html

Each service has a CRSC web page.

Attached is proof that they will absolutely MEB board you out and deny your appeals at 19 years 8 months....

Hello
The question I have for you how come you didn't put in a COAD package to help with the extension for you to stay on until your 20th year.
Also how come you didn't appeal your case.

You are playing with fire if they MEB you before September you will not be allowed to draw concurrent receipt and you will forfeit your retirement pay. As a Chapter 61 Retiree with less than 20 years of service, you are bound by the rules of the offset. There are many options that are available to help you to make it to 20 but I have seen numerous examples of them being denied and your service racing to complete your MEB is less than 90 days. I have seen DD-214 with 19 years and 6 months and those people got hosed big time. What you need to do is start your predischarge VA claim so you will be good by September do not waste your time with a MEB at this point. Start the claim NOW I provided a link below

https://benefits.va.gov/predischarge/
Hello, I had a question. my husband had 18 years in and his BH just considered him for MEB our confusion starts with whether or not this is beneficial for us at all. Can he deny a MEB and just finish his less than 18 months and drop his regular reitrment packet? if he does accept the MEB will he still get his retirement plus his VA claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.