MEB VS. Regular Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
The question I have for you how come you didn't put in a COAD package to help with the extension for you to stay on until your 20th year.
Also how come you didn't appeal your case.

I don't why the person did or not take certain actions. But, in my experience, COAD approval is a long shot and is not granted easily. (Years ago, this was different).
Also, technically, you have to accept the findings as part of the COAD application. This limits your appeal options and chances for success. This is not the preferred method to proceed.

Hello, I had a question. my husband had 18 years in and his BH just considered him for MEB our confusion starts with whether or not this is beneficial for us at all. Can he deny a MEB and just finish his less than 18 months and drop his regular reitrment packet? if he does accept the MEB will he still get his retirement plus his VA claim?

No, he cannot just deny it if they initiate it he will have to fight for a "fit" finding to beat it. I personally never think its beneficial starting at about 15 years but especially 18, 19 years in as long as he has a diagnosis on the books with the willingness to complete at least 20 years of service should be good for a VA rating once retired.

Good afternoon everyone. I am glad I found this group. Currently I am at 23 years and my doctor started to talk about MEB. Since that first conversation last week, my wife and I have some many questions. Some of them are:
What would be better, to submit my retirement packet and not do the MEB?
Go through the MEB process instead?
Will I be losing money if we go through the MEB process?

These are some of the questions. Reading through all the previous comments I think it will be better to go through the MEB process. Is the CRDP happens automatically or do I will have to requested? Thank you all for your time. Have a great day.

If your 23 years are active duty, CRDP is automatic assuming your VA rating is 50% or more.

Re: Will I be losing money if we go through the MEB process?
The least amount of retired pay you will receive is the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the retired pay. You should be aware that if you choose a medical retirement and the DoD disability retirement is more than the longevity portion of retirement, the residual retired pay after the VA offset will reduce the CRDP.

The combination of residual retired pay and CRDP cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity retirement.

Should you choose a straight 20-year AD duty retirement (i.e., regular retirement), the CRDP allows you to receive all your retired pay (partially or all via CRDP) plus you VA compensation.

CRDP for those who chose Career Status Bonus (CSB)/REDUX at year 15 is computed differently.

Ron

Just an update on my situation, I was placed on a permanent profile and with the help of my PCM worked around the limitations that would trigger a MEB at the time. I did drop my retirement packet and received my approved retirement date for 01 Sept. 2019 with 21 yrs of active service. I msut say that my CoC, all the medical providers were very helpful and supportive not just during the time of my fusion but also with the other multiple medical issues I have. I am now in the position to have most of it documented, added and most of all treated.

Good afternoon everyone. I am glad I found this group. Currently I am at 23 years and my doctor started to talk about MEB. Since that first conversation last week, my wife and I have some many questions. Some of them are:
What would be better, to submit my retirement packet and not do the MEB?
Go through the MEB process instead?
Will I be losing money if we go through the MEB process?

These are some of the questions. Reading through all the previous comments I think it will be better to go through the MEB process. Is the CRDP happens automatically or do I will have to requested? Thank you all for your time. Have a great day.

IMHO, you should do the MEB. Although most folks will tell you pay will be the same, the risks associated with that pay are different. Whatever disability percentage the DoD awards as unfit may no longer be argued by the VA -- you have it forever both DoD & VA. Additionally, disability pay is non-severable in divorce; you have it forever.

The disadvantage to the MEB is an unknown timeline in exiting the service. This causes some folks quite a bit of stress as humans normally fear the unknown. It also makes it difficult to make future job plans.

Bets of luck with your decisions,
-- OFP

@anavarrette75
Enlisted members can deny an MEB and separate. Separating at 18 years would result in a one time separation pay. A MEB could result in: separation, retirement, or return to duty. Financially speaking, making it to 20 provides the most benefits.

IMHO, you should do the MEB. Although most folks will tell you pay will be the same, the risks associated with that pay are different. Whatever disability percentage the DoD awards as unfit may no longer be argued by the VA -- you have it forever both DoD & VA. Additionally, disability pay is non-severable in divorce; you have it forever.

The disadvantage to the MEB is an unknown timeline in exiting the service. This causes some folks quite a bit of stress as humans normally fear the unknown. It also makes it difficult to make future job plans.

Bets of luck with your decisions,
-- OFP

OFP, thank you for providing your opinion. I am leaning more towards going through the MEB process based on many of the post that I've seen. Additionally, I have an ADSO due to transferring my Post 9/11 GI Bill to my dependents, but I was told by one of the people that handles the Post 9/11 GI Bill that if I get medically retired, then they will adjust my ADSO to whatever my orders state as my last day in service.

If your 23 years are active duty, CRDP is automatic assuming your VA rating is 50% or more.

Re: Will I be losing money if we go through the MEB process?
The least amount of retired pay you will receive is the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the retired pay. You should be aware that if you choose a medical retirement and the DoD disability retirement is more than the longevity portion of retirement, the residual retired pay after the VA offset will reduce the CRDP.

The combination of residual retired pay and CRDP cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity retirement.

Should you choose a straight 20-year AD duty retirement (i.e., regular retirement), the CRDP allows you to receive all your retired pay (partially or all via CRDP) plus you VA compensation.

CRDP for those who chose Career Status Bonus (CSB)/REDUX at year 15 is computed differently.

Ron

Ron, I am looking at your last sentence about the REDUX. I am one of those that chose the CSB/REDUX. I kind of regret it now but it is what it is at this point. I am curious how different it is the calculation. Thank you.

Jose

Ron, I am looking at your last sentence about the REDUX. I am one of those that chose the CSB/REDUX. I kind of regret it now but it is what it is at this point. I am curious how different it is the calculation. Thank you.

Jose
Recommend reading the last couple of posts at this link: VA waiver issue
This discussion occurred only a few days ago.

Nick of VBN wrote the following a couple of years ago. It is the best explanation of REDUX CRDP I have seen.

[quotation start]
My understanding on Concurrent receipt, as it applies to CSB/REDUX retirees who have been medically retired, is that the amount paid by either CRSC or CRDP is calculated based on the reduced REDUX multiplier calculation in order to comply with the concurrent receipt restriction found in 10 USC 1414 (b)(1). The premise for the 1414(b)(1) restriction is that any military medical retired pay which is in excess of that earned for years of service is de facto payment for the disability and duplicative of the VA payment for disability.

For those readers not familiar. Redux directs a reduction of 1% in the result of the 2.5% x years of service calculation for each year that the retirement is less than 30 years of service. This results in 40% of base pay at 20 years of service, 57 ½ % at 25 years of service, but the full 75% at 30 and 100% for 40 years of service. After retirement, the annual COLA is also reduced by 1% each year but, there is a recomputation at age 62 when both the multiplier and COLA are adjusted to equal the “High Three” system.

The amount of the military medical disability retirement is calculated, under Method B, using the 2.5% x years of service multiplier without regard for the REDUX provisions as the law governing medical retirements directs this calculation. Method A uses the percentage disability assigned to unfitting conditions to calculate medical retirement. The member gets the higher of the two methods.

Consider a medical retiree who did not opt in to CSB/REDUX and has 20 years of service who is medically retired at 70% of base pay based on Method A. His CRDP is restricted to no more than his longevity retirement - 50% of retirement base . An identical retiree who took REDUX, would also be restricted to no more than his longevity retirement - which is 40% of retirement base .

I would not be surprised if DFAS calculated it differently than I believe was intended under 1414 but the language and intent of the code is as clear as code gets.

I addressed this issue to DFAS and the response from DFAS, received in October 2015, was:

Question:
A recurring question that I see on various veteran websites concerns how CRDP is calculated when a veteran with more than 20 years service has been retired under Chapter 61 but previously opted for the REDUX system.

When the VA disability compensation exceeds the chapter 61 retirement amount, is the amount restored by CRDP calculated at the reduced REDUX retirement factor or at the 2.5% per year of service rate used for Chapter 61 purposes?

For example, a retiree has 20 years service and DOD disability finding of 30% disability. The retiree is retired at 50% based on 2.5% per year of service IAW chapter 61. All of his retirement is offset by his VA compensation. His REDUX retirement would be 40%. Is CRDP dollar amount based on the 40% or the 50% factor?

Answer:
The CRDP dollar amount is based on the 40% REDUX retirement. If you would like an audit of your account or have any further questions they may be directed in writing to:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

It was suggested that I pin this material as a reference for those medical retirees who had opted into the REDUX retirement option.

[quotation end]

Ron

OFP, thank you for providing your opinion. I am leaning more towards going through the MEB process based on many of the post that I've seen. Additionally, I have an ADSO due to transferring my Post 9/11 GI Bill to my dependents, but I was told by one of the people that handles the Post 9/11 GI Bill that if I get medically retired, then they will adjust my ADSO to whatever my orders state as my last day in service.
Eaglerising1976 - I am also in a situation where I can drop an AD regular 20 yr retirement package ( I just learned this info when ARPC called me), but I have been pushing for an MEB and have an LOD started now finally. I have been found Unfit by the WWDE, so I know the outcome of the MEB, but I don't think that would give me a DoD disability rating? If I just retire, I will be 50% for retirement (having a current 60% VA rating) but that could increase from DoD from an MEB, correct? My goal is to retire soon, and be in the best possible position for life after serving.

Everybody here is correct. Stay in 20 years. You'll lose oodles of money if you don't.
Good point.

Please note that the most recent post in this thread other than yours and now mine, was in December 2018.

Ron

Thread closed. Only two comments (one being mine) since December 2018.

How to start your own thread: See this LINK <---

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.