MEB vs regular retirement

If a person has a regular retirement, they have at least 20 years active duty. If their VA rating is 50% or more, they receive all their retired pay plus their VA compensation.

That is the benefit of which I would be most interested.

Ron

Edited to add:
In another thread you said, "I have over 20 years of service. When I get MEBed and if my ratings are 100% can the VA bring me in for a C&P and lower my ratings? What kind disabilities does the DoD use for my MEB rating? " You can receive the higher of your longevity multiplier for retired pay (AD years x 2.5%) or the DoD disability percentage.
DISABILITY RETIREMENT
The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:
  • 2.5 percent for each year of service, or
  • disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire

Either way, the multiplier is limited to 75 percent by law. If you are on the Temporary Disability Retired List, the minimum multiplier is 50 percent while on the TDRL.

DFAS uses the method that results in the largest payment. But if you’d like to choose the other method, please send DFAS your request in writing.

CRDP
: Your retired pay would be reduced by the amount of VA compensation in the disability scenario, but if you also qualified for a regular retirement, CRDP would restore the longevity amount of retired pay.

Ron

If you're over 20 and offered the choice, pursue the MEB. There are a few perks to being medically retired over 20 versus length of service.

My PEBLO informed me of another good tidbit today. Your yearly premium with Tricare will not increase with a MEB retirement. If you are retired via 20+years then the premium will increase. Albeit small, over time it could net a few thousand dollars.

What are some of the perks to MEB over 20 vs Reg retirement?
I too am curious about those perks.

With regard to TRICARE, there are several different plans. I have have TRICARE for Life which has no premiums, but one must be enrolled in both Medicare A & B (age 65 is required for B).

TRICARE For Life is Medicare-wraparound coverage for TRICARE-eligible beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and B.

• Enrollment not required
  • Available worldwide:
    • TRICARE pays after Medicare in the U.S. and U.S. Territories
    • TRICARE is the first payer in all other overseas areas
The premium for Part B is deducted from my Social Security.

I had a regular retirement.

Ron