Med Board report back, any inputs?

BubbleHead

PEB Forum Regular Member
Well, finally got my dictation back from Neurology about my back, now its off to the PEB in DC. I would like to share a few excerpts and see what you all think:

Neurologic Examination: Sensation - decreased pin and temperature sensation noted over the dorsum and plantar aspect of the left foot in a combined L5-S1 dermatomal distribution. There was some give way weakness present in the left toe extension, eversion and ankle dorsiflexion.

Reflexes: Absent left hamstring reflex. The left ankle reflex 1+, right ankle 2+.

it goes on to say that I cant do my job, and he does not forsee me getting any better, he even went so far to say "The Patient is not handicapped in that he is unable to perform his duties..."

Thoughts?

What were all the diagnoses listed from your MEB and which were listed as not meeting retention standards. Need to have a lot more information for anyone to provide any analysis.

Do you have a back injury? If so:
What is the nature of the injury?
Did you have a range of motion evaluation?
Have you had a nerve conduction / EMG test done?

Jlm,

Yes, I had a back injury, hugely ruptured L5-S1, and had a microdiskectomy and have not regained sensation in my left leg and have constant pain in my hip and calf.
I havent had a ROM or EMG done. My neuro seems to be pretty confident that the combination of issues will get me to 30%. I guess I trust him. If not, I can always appeal and get the ROM and EMG done, from what I have read here.

The two ICD-9 codes were

V45.89 Other Postsurgical Status

and

327.23 Obstructive sleep Apnea.

Thanks.

EM1/SS

Not sure about the Navy specifics but I know that for the Army, the neurosurgeon's notes were not enough to get a rating for my nerve issues (seemed weird to me). I had to have the Nerve conduction / EMG test.

If you can, it may be worth while to try and get the tests done now. That way if you have to appeal, you've got all the info ready and don't have to wait longer for another referral, etc. But again, I'm not familiar with the Navy methods. Maybe the neuro assessment is enough.

I am fairly certain that you need to have a ROM done as the VASRD rating for back issues is largely based on your back's ROM.

I am sure that someone more familiar with the Navy process will chime in and give you better guidance.

Best of luck.

jlm's comments are correct, in my opinion.