MEDCON/Incap Pay

aavila5

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello, I am a Air Force Trad Reservist on MPA orders until 30 Sep 20. Had to get surgery back in February for a re-torn ACL. My surgeon said my rehab can be 9-12 months, which I would then surpass my orders date. I submitted a LOD to see if I can receive INCAP pay. Would I stay on orders or switch to MEDCON orders until the surgeon releases me? Am I able to apply/work a GS position in my situation?

Good morning,
There is a lot to work through with this post. To better help, I am going to ask some clarifying questions.

- Were you on orders when you injured your back requiring surgery?
- Do you have a specific LOD for this injury? Has it already been approved by AFPC or just locally?
- Who did you submit your LOD to?
- Does your local med unit know you are looking to go on MEDCON?
- Do you know who your unit MEDCON POC is?

Legally, if you were injured while on Active Duty status, the Air Force owes you health care to recover prior to sending you back to the “civilian world”. If you have an approved LOD for this injury, you should apply for MEDCON orders while you are going through physical therapy. INCAP is difficult to get and really only “better” if you had a high paying civilian job that you can’t go back to due to your injury.

My recommendation would be to apply for MEDCON and get fixed while on orders and TriCare prime.

Good morning,
There is a lot to work through with this post. To better help, I am going to ask some clarifying questions.

- Were you on orders when you injured your back requiring surgery?
- Do you have a specific LOD for this injury? Has it already been approved by AFPC or just locally?
- Who did you submit your LOD to?
- Does your local med unit know you are looking to go on MEDCON?
- Do you know who your unit MEDCON POC is?

Legally, if you were injured while on Active Duty status, the Air Force owes you health care to recover prior to sending you back to the “civilian world”. If you have an approved LOD for this injury, you should apply for MEDCON orders while you are going through physical therapy. INCAP is difficult to get and really only “better” if you had a high paying civilian job that you can’t go back to due to your injury.

My recommendation would be to apply for MEDCON and get fixed while on orders and TriCare prime.
Yes I was injured during my orders. I was under the impression that I am unable to be released until I finish rehab or until my surgeon clears me to be able to PT test. I started the LOD process and submitted documents to my local med unit. I am afraid the medcon orders process will take awhile and surpass my orders date. I do not have anything lined up on the civilian side as I jumped on orders after leaving Active Duty. If I do get on MEDCON orders, am I still able to apply and work in a GS position? Or would I have to get off orders completely and then be able to work a civilian job?

Yes I was injured during my orders. I was under the impression that I am unable to be released until I finish rehab or until my surgeon clears me to be able to PT test. I started the LOD process and submitted documents to my local med unit. I am afraid the medcon orders process will take awhile and surpass my orders date. I do not have anything lined up on the civilian side as I jumped on orders after leaving Active Duty. If I do get on MEDCON orders, am I still able to apply and work in a GS position? Or would I have to get off orders completely and then be able to work a civilian job?
I submitted the documents for the LOD a few weeks back but still awaiting determination. My medical POC isn’t too good with replying to emails or calls for my follow-up questions.

I submitted the documents for the LOD a few weeks back but still awaiting determination. My medical POC isn’t too good with replying to emails or calls for my follow-up questions.
You are speaking the story of so many of us with this comment.

You need to read and know AFI36-2910 like the back of your hand. They are not supposed to allow you to leave your current orders without being on another set of MEDCON orders. If your orders lapse... getting back on orders is next to impossible. You have to get your chain of command involved at least 60-90 days out to make sure your MEDCON POC is actively engaged with getting you put on orders. There is an option for “Pre-MEDCON” orders which is a 30-45 day set of orders that AFPC can put you on while your official MEDCON orders are cut.

Also to answer your other question, unfortunately, you will be unable to accept a technician job while on orders. Or better said, you could accept it, but you couldn’t start until your orders were complete. I would just be completely open with the hiring official.

You are speaking the story of so many of us with this comment.

You need to read and know AFI36-2910 like the back of your hand. They are not supposed to allow you to leave your current orders without being on another set of MEDCON orders. If your orders lapse... getting back on orders is next to impossible. You have to get your chain of command involved at least 60-90 days out to make sure your MEDCON POC is actively engaged with getting you put on orders. There is an option for “Pre-MEDCON” orders which is a 30-45 day set of orders that AFPC can put you on while your official MEDCON orders are cut.
Thank you so much for the information, I will ensure my CoC is aware. With that being said, would they just keep placing me on MEDCON orders until I complete my rehab? In the event I am still unable to complete all components of the fitness test, am I able to opt for an MEB?

Also to answer your other question, unfortunately, you will be unable to accept a technician job while on orders. Or better said, you could accept it, but you couldn’t start until your orders were complete. I would just be completely open with the hiring official.
Does this go for any civilian position? Let it be the public or private sector? Not necessarily DOD.

Does this go for any civilian position? Let it be the public or private sector? Not necessarily DOD.
MEDCON has lots of quirks. All leave is scrutinized and you can’t leave the local area without permission. You could try to take a swing shift job but if your MEDCON liaison found out about it they could have grounds to terminate your MEDCON. You best bet would be to accept a job, but let them know that you can’t start it until your PT orders are complete.

Thank you so much for the information, I will ensure my CoC is aware. With that being said, would they just keep placing me on MEDCON orders until I complete my rehab? In the event I am still unable to complete all components of the fitness test, am I able to opt for an MEB?
MEDCON is designed to put you back together. As long as you are on a treatment plan, you will be able to extend your orders. My initial MEDCON orders were for six months. They extended for another 3 based on my Physical Therapist asking for it.

Here’s the kicker though. Like I said, MEDCON is meant to put you back together. If it becomes apparent that you are not going to get put back together and you fall into the grey zone, you really have to watch it. You should be able to go from MEDCON orders to “extended MEDCON orders”, or orders that will carry you through the entire MEB process. BUT if you end your MEDCON orders, getting back on orders for your MEB is very very difficult. This is where knowing the game and having your goal locked in helps. You can talk to your physical therapist to keep asking for more time so it can help with the timeline of getting your LOD approved at AFPC, which is required for any LOD that is going to result in an MEB/IDES.

Does this help?

MEDCON is designed to put you back together. As long as you are on a treatment plan, you will be able to extend your orders. My initial MEDCON orders were for six months. They extended for another 3 based on my Physical Therapist asking for it.

Here’s the kicker though. Like I said, MEDCON is meant to put you back together. If it becomes apparent that you are not going to get put back together and you fall into the grey zone, you really have to watch it. You should be able to go from MEDCON orders to “extended MEDCON orders”, or orders that will carry you through the entire MEB process. BUT if you end your MEDCON orders, getting back on orders for your MEB is very very difficult. This is where knowing the game and having your goal locked in helps. You can talk to your physical therapist to keep asking for more time so it can help with the timeline of getting your LOD approved at AFPC, which is required for any LOD that is going to result in an MEB/IDES.

Does this help?
Ahh I see, this has definitely helped and provided a lot of insight on my situation. I thought they would only be able to do 30 day orders at a time and re-access after. Do I receive normal AD pay while on MEDCON orders as well? What’s the main differences from just a regular set of MPA orders? I apologize for the multiple follow-up questions.

Yes, while on MEDCON orders you will be on Title 10 orders receiving all benefits afforded to active duty. The only real difference between MEDCON and MPA is who is paying for the days, and what rules are associated with the orders. AFPC or AFRC pays for MEDCON days versus local unit funded. MEDCON orders require that you follow up weekly with your MEDCON Liaison down at Randolph. They require weekly post care e-mails from your physical therapy showing progress or regression. If you don’t follow the rules, your orders can end in a single day.

Also of note, you can terminate your MEDCON orders any day you wish. They are completely voluntary so if the perfect job pops up, you could end your orders if needed. Just remember, the day that they end is when your TriCare Prime coverage ends. If you are being treated on base, you can continue your care with just your LOD. If you are off base, you will have to wait until TRS kicks back in or you get a civilian job with insurance.

Also, never apologize for questions. That is exactly what this forum was built for.

As I mentioned, I did start the LOD process with my medical POC (still haven’t heard back). As far as the MEDCON orders goes, does my unit initiate that now? Or would I need to wait for the LOD to go through? Does my Chain of Command need to initiate this with my medical POC?

Again, thank you so much.

Yes, while on MEDCON orders you will be on Title 10 orders receiving all benefits afforded to active duty. The only real difference between MEDCON and MPA is who is paying for the days, and what rules are associated with the orders. AFPC or AFRC pays for MEDCON days versus local unit funded. MEDCON orders require that you follow up weekly with your MEDCON Liaison down at Randolph. They require weekly post care e-mails from your physical therapy showing progress or regression. If you don’t follow the rules, your orders can end in a single day.

Also of note, you can terminate your MEDCON orders any day you wish. They are completely voluntary so if the perfect job pops up, you could end your orders if needed. Just remember, the day that they end is when your TriCare Prime coverage ends. If you are being treated on base, you can continue your care with just your LOD. If you are off base, you will have to wait until TRS kicks back in or you get a civilian job with insurance.
As I mentioned, I did start the LOD process with my medical POC (still haven’t heard back). As far as the MEDCON orders goes, does my unit initiate that now? Or would I need to wait for the LOD to go through? Does my Chain of Command need to initiate this with my medical POC?

Again, thank you so much.

All you need to start MEDCON is an interim approved LOD (36-2910 talks about what this means, and your POC should know as well). The only thing you need to do is show your commander and MEDCON POC that your medical care is going to extend beyond your current orders and that you would like to enter into the MEDCON process. There are multiple forms you have to fill out and have signed but your MEDCON POC will have to contact all of the peeps at AFPC & AFRC.